Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
New forum feedback (Read 73175 times)
John.
Übermensch

New forum feedback
Mar 25th, 2007 at 12:41pm

Rad, thanks for the forum update!  It looks snazzy.   Cool

I was getting ready to compliment you on the brighter (white) background look, but see you're reverted back to black.  I can live with that.

But, I wondered if you can make the font-size just slightly larger?  Not necessarily as large as the old board, but it would make it easier to read, if that is possible.  I can't seem to adjust it myself with the IE text size option.

Secondly, as a cleanup suggestion:  Why not move/fold the last "General Discussion Board" as the 4th topic in the Radified Community Boards?  It could be renamed as "Non-Ghost Related General Discussion Board" or something similar.  That way when you get the first page you clearly see the four forums in a logical order.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: New forum feedback
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 1:05pm

This new forum software gives you the option of getting back the white (original default) board by eiting you profile. Somewhere in there is the option:

"Which template would you like to use?"

Click the drop down and select the other, which is *not* blk_gry3d"

I'm still figuring out this new software. I'll see what can be done with text size.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 1:13pm

OK.  Found the template option, and thanks for your work and the great forum!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 3:00pm

Thanks for the BiggerText template in options.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 3:29pm

Ghost4me + Rad

I played around with the text size/template setting--I added the BiggerText template (Just so you know it's not a *Ghost* in the system  Wink ! )

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 5:36pm

haha!

I saw that and was scratching my head for the longest time .. wondering where it came from.

Shoulda known NightOwl was at work behind the scenes.

I am scared to movd that last board up into the group with the other three, feeling I might LOSE all those posts if I do, cuz they are contained under that hierarchy.

But I agree, it would look slicker if they were all together.

Back when I first installed the boards, I was adding different options just to see how they worked. Now, years later, we may be locked into various formats. Hindsight is always 20-20.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2007 at 8:03pm

Rad

Quote:
I am scared to movd that last board up into the group with the other three, feeling I might LOSE all those posts if I do, cuz they are contained under that hierarchy.

Backup and give it a go!  Restore if it tanks on you!  That's my *Ghosting* motto (or should that *Model*?!

Quote:
Back when I first installed the boards, I was adding different options just to see how they worked. Now, years later, we may be locked into various formats. Hindsight is alwasy 20-20.

I wondered if that was going to be an issue!

I plan on tweaking the sizes a little more soon--so stay tuned!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:05am

I'm not sure the back-up would be valid if the overall *structure* of the boards, are/were affected.

For example, you can see by the address of the old threads in that board:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Extra_Rad_Forum;action=display;n...

how I named the board the *Extra*_Rad_Forum.

I feel that the risk/reward structure for trying a change sucks.

If it works, it's just a minor cosmetic improvement, but if it tanks, we lose ~1,000 killer posts.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 9:29am

Rad wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 12:05am:
I'm not sure the back-up would be valid if the overall *structure* of the boards, are/were affected.

It was just a minor suggestion.  Obviously more complicated than I thought.  (I had envisoned it was like Windows Explorer where you can drag/drop a subfolder up to a folder.)

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 10:55am

Thanks Rad... and crew!
The new boards look great.
Thanks NightOwl... the larger text option helped alot.

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:20am

768 PIXELS WIDE

Rad -

In dealing with digitized images to display online, I use pixels for units of measure and increments of 64, i.e, 64, 128, 256, 512, et cetera.  Prior to updating the forum format, the dimension of 768 pixels [512+256] (see above) was the maximum width for an image that would not throw the stock view out of whack.  Under the current framework, 704 pixels [512+128+64] (see below) is now the maximum width before compensation is required.

Even without counting other contributors, I alone have 251 online images currently stored at photobucket.com, all set at 768 pixels maximum dimension (most often width) and a very high proportion of them are available for display in the Radified Community Forums.  Is there an adjustment to slightly increase the width of the "matting" (border of the background) to accommodate the images onhand?

EP
Cry

704 PIXELS WIDE

IP Logged

ckcc
Technoluster

South Carolina, USA

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:27pm

A few observations on Pesky's post...
I like that if a large image is posted for whatever reason, that post gets its own set of scroll bars and doesn't throw off all other posts but...
in order to read the text to the far right, I had to scroll down past the second image to scroll right then back up again to read the text whick now I could not read the left side Undecided

If anything can go wrong, it already did, and you just now noticed it.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:30pm

Every time I try to save a post, I get an IE7 Message:  "Do you want to allow this webpage to access to your clipboard?"

Any idea why that is?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:42pm

regarding pesky's post .. what do you mean by "compensation"?

do mean side-to-side scrolling?

i need no side-to-side scrolling with those images. in fact, i have plenty of space left over.

i use screen resolution 1280x800. what are you using?? 1024X768? (800x600)??

i'll see what can be done, but don't think it should be a problem for most users with current screen resolutions.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2007 at 1:53pm

john,

still investigating, but some info/work-arounds so far:

http://www.yabbforum.com/community/YaBB.pl?num=1155527412

Go to "Internet Options". Click on the "Security" tab. Select the zone in which you access YaBB (most likely Internet). Click "Custom Level". Scroll down to "Allow Programmatic Clipboard Access", and click Enable. Then click OK.

-------------------------

As the security settings for my 'Internet' and 'Trusted' zones are the same, I've added this site and our site as a 'trusted' site and then enabled "Allow Programmatic Clipboard Access" as mentioned by Brett above.

It's not perfect but it'll do as didn't really want to enable it for the 'Internet' zone as I like to know what's being sent/received to the best of my knowledge and this IE7 addition may come in handy for this.

------------------------

Added a check-box on the Post reply page to enable/disable the auto-copy message before Post/Preview. By default the check-box is checked (enable auto-copy) if the browser is IE 6.0 or older and un-checked (disable auto-copy) if the browser is IE 7.0

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print