El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: New forum feedback
Reply #45 - Apr 1st, 2007 at 5:23pm

El_Pescador wrote on Mar 26th, 2007 at 11:20am:
"... Rad -

In dealing with digitized images to display online, I use pixels for units of measure and increments of 64, i.e, 64, 128, 256, 512, et cetera.  Prior to updating the forum format, the dimension of 768 pixels [512+256] (see above) was the maximum width for an image that would not throw the stock view out of whack.  Under the current framework, 704 pixels [512+128+64] (see below) is now the maximum width before compensation is required.

Even without counting other contributors, I alone have 251 online images currently stored at photobucket.com, all set at 768 pixels maximum dimension (most often width) and a very high proportion of them are available for display in the Radified Community Forums.  Is there an adjustment to slightly increase the width of the "matting" (border of the background) to accommodate the images onhand?..."

Well, I think I have discerned that there is no ready fix for my squawk.  Notice that only the single panel containing text or graphics in each of the three images stacked below in a mosaic can 'zoom-in' or 'zoom-out', i.e., expand or contract.  I think we are stuck with displaying images not much wider than 704 pixels.  Popeye upon his horizontal panel stay the same size along with those vertical bands of 'real estate' marked with the '
<||>
' symbol turned vertically.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #46 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:17am

Pesky, I was digging around and found a place to modify the width of the template, which I changed from a default of 90% to 94%.

Does that change anything for you?

I only changed it in the default theme > blk_gry3d .. none of the others .. such as medium or large versions.

Not sure it actually changed anything. Only you would be able to tell.

Edited:
okay, i can definitely tell the forum widened. (i am using blk_gry3d.) what theme are you using?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #47 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:26am

btw .. for NightOwl the tweaker, i found it here:

Code:
/* Anything below here is just for the template */ 

#container{
background-color: transparent;
width: 90%;
margin-left: auto;
margin-right: auto;
padding: 0px;
border-top: 0px;
margin-bottom: 10px;
font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;

Edit style sheet (in 'source' mode .. small button on top). Set width of #container entry (near bottom) to the desired width, instead of 90%.

Again, I only changed this for blk_gry3d .. none of the others.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #48 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 11:37am

Rad

Quote:
I only changed this for blk_gry3d .. none of the others

I found where the code is for changing the *container*, but I'm not sure what you have already done!  

The other templates still say 90%, but I can't find any examples of where there is a *too wide* image that requires side-to-side scrolling--maybe El_Pescador has re-sized all his previous images--

Or, have you made some other more *global* change to the boards core program files?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #49 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:30pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 11:37am:
"... but I can't find any examples of where there is a *too wide* image that requires side-to-side scrolling--maybe El_Pescador has re-sized all his previous images..."

I resized some but not all.  Search on the word 'bridge' and you will find screenshots related to Ghost 2003 that still require "side-to-side scrolling".

Regrettably, I can turn up no shortcuts in resizing.  Retroactively resizing existing Photobucket.com images to 640x480 pixels does not seem to work if the image has already been posted under the same name (and said name cannot be changed inside Photobucket.com) Angry

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #50 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 12:36pm

I made no global changes. Only blk_gry3d.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #51 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 7:31pm

El_Pescador

Searched on *bridge* and could not find a single post that had an image that didn't fit!

Searched your last 99 posts--no images that wouldn't fit!

I'm sure I was using this old CRT 17" monitor when the forum was transitioned a couple weeks ago--and I remember some of your screen shots needed side to side scrolling--but now they do not!!  I don't know what has changed!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #52 - Apr 15th, 2007 at 10:37pm

NightOwl wrote on Apr 15th, 2007 at 7:31pm:
"... Searched your last 99 posts--no images that wouldn't fit!..."

Try the link below from one of my all-time favorite threads (it is a "side-to-side misfit" here tonight on this end at any rate):

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1095438251/236#236

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #53 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 12:47am

El_Pescador

Well...d a r n--I go to that link and everything is fine on my end--no scrolling side to side needed.

I'm using a 17" CRT monitor set at 1280 by 960 pixels resolution--so if your images are *768 pixels*--and I have 960 available--well I guess I have enough spare to fit your images in without any scrolling--even when I use the largest font setting--which I presume does not effect the image pixel size!

I was sure I saw the need for side to side scrolling on your earlier posts in this thread just after the forum update--no idea what has changed!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #54 - Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:45pm

El_Pescador

Was using a friend's computer that was set at 1024 x 768 LCD monitor--your link above did have images that required side to side scrolling--I have set all the templates *container* to *96%*--does that solve the scrolling on your system?  --it solved it on my friend's system.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #55 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:08am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:45pm:
"... computer that was set at 1024 x 768 LCD monitor--your link above did have images that required side to side scrolling--I have set all the templates *container* to *96%*--does that solve the scrolling on your system?..."

Yes, indeed  Shocked   The only rig I have up and running since Hurricane Katrina is the Dell Dimension 8100 salvaged from the floodwaters and a 19-inch Samsung CRT that remained safely elevated (my makeshift scaffolding overturned and - and among other things - I lost my favorite Dell LCD monitor).  I find 1024x768 the most comfortable settting on the CRT monitor for my aging eyes Roll Eyes

Your diligence saved me a lot of tedious "photoshoppin", sho' 'nuff[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Pesky
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #56 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 12:58am

NightOwl wrote on Apr 16th, 2007 at 9:45pm:
I have set all the templates *container* to *96%

Thanks, bro.