Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Save & Restore 2.0 (Read 77712 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Norton Save & Restore 2.0
Apr 4th, 2007 at 1:42pm

Norton Save & Restore 2.0 has been released.

The Norton Save & Restore 2.0 User's Guide makes no mention of Norton Ghost 2003 or Norton Ghost 8.2, which suggests that neither is included in the product (as anticipated).  It also suggests that both Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.2 will likewise be absent from Norton Ghost 12:

Quote:
How does Norton Ghost™ 12.0 compare with Norton Save & Restore 2.0?

While Norton Ghost 12.0 and Norton Save & Restore 2.0 share much of the same functionality, such as full system (disk image) and file and folder backups, Norton Ghost 12.0 also offers remote management, LightsOut Restore, and other advanced features.
Source:  http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/popup.jsp?popupid=faq_nsr#q2

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Norton Save & Restore 2.0
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 3:46pm

From an initial quick reading of the Norton Save & Restore 2.0 (NSR2) User’s Guide, I found the following points to be of interest:
  • NSR2 supports Windows XP and Windows Vista, both the 32- and 64-bit editions (page 12).
  • The statement ”You must decrypt encrypted NTFS drives before you attempt to restore them” (page 13) suggests that NSR2 may have difficulty working properly in conjunction with full drive encryption.
  • The user now has the ability to create a custom Symantec Recovery Disk that includes specified drivers (page 19).
  • The system tray icon can be turned on/off (page 24-25).
  • NSR2 can optionally be integrated with Google Desktop, to facilitate the searching of files within a recovery point (page 131+).
Otherwise, NSR2 appears to be highly similar to the previous version.

Again, I see no mention of any support provided for “legacy” image formats (i.e., *.GHO from Ghost 2003).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2007 at 11:37am

Thanks Pleo.

Updated the guide today to include a link to this thread in section/page where I discuss Norton Save & Restore.

http://ghost.radified.com/

http://ghost.radified.com/norton_save_restore.htm

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 4:16pm

I have Norton Save & Restore (apparently version 1.0) installed.  When I use LiveUpdate, I am told that an update for NSR (6119.2 KB) is being downloaded.  However it never installs and I cannot find the downloaded file on my hard drive. 
What I do find is a folder norton$20save$20and$20restore_11.01.0.12312_english_livetri.zip  Size is 2.65KB.
which contains three files--liveupdt.grd, liveupdt.sig and liveupdt.tri .
Anything I can do to get the update (other than buy NSR 2.0)?

Jim

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2007 at 4:50pm

Jcimarron, check with Symantec to be sure, but my understanding is that no free upgrade exists when moving from Norton Save & Restore version 1.0 to version 2.0 (although there is typically a rebate discount in this situation).

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 2:19pm

Pleonasm--I suspect you are correct.  But then (rhetorical question) why does Live Update show that a 6119.2KB Save&Restore file has been downloaded--apparently successfully?  If an update really is not available to me, I would rather stop taking the time to download the update file.  (The updates for all my Norton products are downloaded when I start LiveUpdate from any one of them.)
I have asked Symantec several days ago, but as usual no response after the acknowledgement e-mail.
P.S.  I still wonder what that  folder norton$20save$20and$20restore_11.01.0.12312_english_livetri.zip   folder is all about.

Jim

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 5:10pm

there might very well be an update to ns&r, without that update being to ns&r 2.0 (which would co$t).

(e.g. ns&r 1.1 or 1.2, etc.)

that's prolly what's happening.

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 10:10pm

Rad--And so what do I do?

Jim

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2007 at 10:53pm

i'd contact symantec and ask them what gives.

give them the name of the file and tell them the problem.

at least see what you are downloading, and then they should be able to help you work thru the problem.

the good thing about symantecis that they are big, meaning lots of ppl use their products. if you're having a particular problem, chances are someone else has had the same problem, and they've found a fix for it.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 10:34am

Jcimarron, as a first step, I recommend that you delete all files in the \Downloads folder used by Symantec, and then run LiveUpdate again.

IP Logged

jcimarron
Gnarly

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2007 at 11:34pm

I took Pleonasm's advice and deleted all the files in the NSR Download folder--C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads.  Then I ran Live Update again and this time I could I identify the NSR update file download since it was the only file there (other than the livetri.zip file with the three liveupdt files mentioned earlier).  
The name of the actual update file seems to be 1176246804jtun_norton_save_%26_restore_11_02_20309_en.zip.  It contains two files.  I suspect the important one is NSR 1102 en patch.exe.  The other is a very small .dis file.
The bad news is that when I tried to run the NSR 1102 en patch.exe file and things seemed to be going along just fine,  an error message finally popped up.  That was the end of that.
So then, having nothing better to do with the rest of the evening, I uninstalled NSR and Norton AntiVirus.  Just to be sure, I also used the Norton Removal Tool.  Just getting that to work was a hassle since there is a new version (2007.2.7.3) but the error messages gave no useful info on that. I found it by Googling.  (I know the Tool is probably not needed for removing NSR.)
The good news is that I reinstalled NSR first.  And when I ran Live Update I again got the update .zip file mentioned.  When I ran the patch.exe this time I was successful.  I now have NSR (presumably still 1.0) but with version number 11.0.2.20309.  Unfortunately I did not record the full version number I had before, but I am pretty sure the last five digits were 11492.
I then reinstalled Norton AntiVirus and that seems to be working OK, too.  When I ran Live Update for it, I was not longer offered an update for NSR.
I should mention one last thing.  After installing NAV (from Norton System Works Premier 2006, NAV being the only part of NSW I use) I could no longer get any info on NSR.  Just as before, its "About" info was totally intermeshed with NSW and I could only get the version number of NSW.  I suspect this intermeshing  may have been part of the original problem.
So everything looks OK, but I have not tried actually using NSR yet.  Too late at night.
Still no response from Symantec.  And I still have no idea what those liveupdt files do.
Thanks for the help.

Jim

IP Logged

garrulous
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2007 at 11:55am

I can't read the reply button!  (black on black)

I found this newsbite from Symantec regarding SAR2 vs Ghost 12: http://investor.symantec.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=89422&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=981698&...

(new member)

IP Logged

proger
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 7:40pm

Installed NSR2 on a Vista Home Premium computer with bags of spare drive space and 1026Mb o9f RAM. When asked to restart it took 4 attempts to get to my desktop with my normal programs starting as needed. I backed up C:\ very good & quick. However I cannot restart my computer the start process stalls when my desktop comes on, the icons do not load nor do my widgets. I have to do a reboot to try again but no success. Have gone to safe mode and uninstalled the program. Any ideas as Symantec are not answering my emailed requests for help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 7:51pm

proger,

I haven't used NSR2 with Vista. In the Acronis group, several members had to do a Vista repair from the DVD when the OS didn't boot after an image restore. I know you haven't done an image restore but a Vista repair is worth considering. It's unlikely to do harm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print