Send Topic Print
Ghost on USB-HDD (Read 10505 times)
tom29
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost on USB-HDD
May 14th, 2007 at 8:24am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new in here and I would need some help. I'm trying to make a small Ghost machine with form my 80Gb USB-HDD, I mean, I'm planning to run Ghost from my USB HDD and save images to the same drive( I call it : the portable ghost machine). So far I was able to make ny USB bootable. I have a copy of Ghost on my USB-HDD.

SO far everything works but..

It takes about 40 min to Ghost a40Gb Hdd with only 2Gb of files on it.

Than i tried a 80Gb Hdd with about 45Gb and It took almost 2HRS !! to do it.

Is there a way to speed this process up?

Thank you.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost on USB-HDD
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2007 at 8:37am

tom29 wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 8:24am:
"... It takes about 40 min to Ghost a40Gb Hdd with only 2Gb of files on it... Than i tried a 80Gb Hdd with about 45Gb and It took almost 2HRS !! to do it... Is there a way to speed this process up?..."

Are you sure that you are not running in the USB 1.1 mode Undecided

EP
Cry

IP Logged

tom29
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - May 14th, 2007 at 8:44am

How would I check that?

Should I add drivers to the config.sys?

Thx

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - May 14th, 2007 at 9:26am

tom29

Quote:
Should I add drivers to the config.sys?

Post your list of boot files that you are using to boot the USB HDD + post the content of your *config.sys* ans *autoexec.bat* so we can see what's happening!  I'm betting that if your system allows for booting from a USB HDD, then it is also offering *built-in* USB support--and unless it allows for making changes in the BIOS to control what type of support you get--you probably can only *enable or disable* the USB support--but that may break your ability to boot from the USB HDD if you disable it--and you probably have to disable the built-in support if you want to load other DOS USB drivers to avoid conflicts--but you will not know until you try!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2007 at 9:33am

tom29 wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 8:44am:
"... How would I check that?... Should I add drivers to the config.sys?..."

Please reveal the full contents of both your autoexec.bat and config.sys files.  Next, you need to determine your particular USB 2.0 host controller and USB 2.0 device controller specifications.  Those two tables below illustrate the relevant specifications I have gleaned while trying to ensure compatibility of USB 2.0 external HDD enclosure kits with DOS-based Norton Ghost 2003:

From what I have been able to tell up to now, USB 2.0 host controllers have eventually shaken out to either
VID=8086h
or
VID=1033h
- and no meaningful number of others thusfar.  On the host end of the "bridge", the useful items are in properties of only those terminal "branch(es)" on the Universal Serial Bus controllers "tree" containing the word
'Enhanced'
.  On the destination end of the "bridge", the useful items are in properties of only those terminal "branch(es)" on the Universal Serial Bus controllers "tree" containing the phrase
'Mass Storage Device'

To take a shot at revealing the particulars of both your
USB 2.0 host controller(s)
and your
USB 2.0 device controller(s)
, follow the procedure below:

(1) go to Desktop and right click on My Computer;

(2) drop down to left click on Manage;

(3) in left pane, expand System Tools;

(4) in left pane, drop down to left click on Device Manager;

(5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

(6) for USB Mass Storage Devices, skip down to (7) - else for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
, then go to (7);

(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;

(8) left click on the Details tab;

(9) left click on the dropdown menu containing Device Instance Id; and

(10) left click on
Hardware Ids
and carefully transcribe the last two lines in the window, then please REPORT BACK. To be overly generous, drop down two more lines and repeat for
Matching Device Id

The image below reveals the functional USB 2.0 controller on the Macally PHR-100A enclosure (note that on my Dell Dimension 8300, I have three
'Enhanced'
USb controllers listed - including the poisonous Intel 80281EB):

EP
Cry

IP Logged

tom29
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2007 at 11:41am

List of files included on my USB-HDD

aspiuhci.sys
autoexec.bat
command.com
DI1000DD.sys
ghost.exe
himem.sys
usbaspi.sys

config.sys:
Device=himem.sys
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
device=di1000dd.sys
Dos=high,umb
Lastdrive=z

Autoexec.bat is blank

So,
When ever I'm using config.sys I get the error: Di1000dd driver missing or corrupted and same for command.com

On the other hand I'm not the congig.sys expert. It might be somthing simple.

This is my hardware ID's

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&SUBSYS_31041106&REV_82

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&SUBSYS_31041106

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&CC_0C0320

PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3104&CC_0C03

MATCHING IDS:

PCI/VEN_1106&DEV_3104

I hope that will help you,

Thank you very much for all your help

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2007 at 2:53pm

El_Pescador wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 9:33am:
"... (5) for both USB controllers and mass storage devices in right pane, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers;

(6) for USB Mass Storage Devices, skip down to (7) - else for USB 2.0 controllers, focus on those lines containing either the abbreviation
'USB2'
or the word
'Enhanced'
, then go to (7);

(7) right click on any such lines that drop down, then left click on Properties;..."

OK, your PCI-to-USB host controller is USB VIA-compliant (as opposed to being USB NEC-compliant - see link
below).  So now, you need to figure out what flavor your USB external HDD Mass Storage Device is, i.e, NEC, ALi, SiS, VIA, et cetera.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148232044/10#10

EP
Cry

IP Logged

tom29
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - May 14th, 2007 at 3:18pm

This is it the USB HDD info:
USB\VID_1058&Pid_0701&Rev_0240

USB\VID_1058&Pid_0701

Matching ID:

USB\class_08&subclass_06&prot_50

would you be able to help me out with creating a proper config.sys?

Again thank you for you time and help.

Tomasz

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - May 14th, 2007 at 5:49pm

tom29 wrote on May 14th, 2007 at 3:18pm:
"... This is it the USB HDD info: USB\VID_1058&Pid_0701&Rev_0240..."

Based on the information above, I strongly suspect that you have a Western Digital USB2 External HDD of some kind (see link below).  In my experience, matching a VIA-compliant USB PCI-to-host controller and a WD USB device controller requires the use of Nightowl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine for conventional service with Norton Ghost 2003.  Whereas booting into a "cold-imaging" DOS-dependent product from a USB Mass Storage Device is somewhat unconventional to say the least, it will be most fascinating indeed if you do manage to make it work.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1114059498/26#26

EP
Cry

IP Logged

IsItMondayYet
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2007 at 8:56pm

I have a HP Pavillion with a SiS USB EHCI (VEN_1039). With help from NightOwl's Guide to making a boot CD, and making at least 50 CD's that didn't work, I finally got a working disk and managed to image my hard drive to a WD My Book external USB drive. It took 6 hours and 20 minutes for about 24 GB of data, using the Panasonic usbaspi.sys driver, V2.06. I guess it  is going at USB 1.1 speed.

It took over three hours to verify with v2.06. I found a copy of usbaspi.sys v2.20. Using that, it took less than 13 minutes to verify.

I want to thank NightOwl and everyone else in the community. After reading everything here, I knew I would be successful if I could stick it out just a little longer.

IP Logged

tom29
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2007 at 2:40pm

Hi All,

Still no luck Sad

When I use the USB 2.20 driver my systems hangs. When using th older one it comes up with Di1000dd driver missing or corrupted and same for command.com

Can you guys post a working config.sys and autoexec?

Again, I'm trying to make a small ghos machine: running form the USB HDD and writing images to the same USB HDD,

Thank you

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print