Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating & burning bootable image DVD w/out flopy (Read 3148 times)
dutchmann
Ex Member

Creating & burning bootable image DVD w/out flopy
May 30th, 2007 at 1:53pm

Hi
I have made my own ghost boot cd following guides that i have found as i work on a laptop without a floppy drive.  My bootable CD boots me into DOs from where ghost.exe takes over for imaging or restoration.  When i check the directory contents of drive A i see the win 98 files, mouse.com and ghot.exe files that i have used to make the CD so obviously the floppy emulation is working.

Now i wish to create and burn a ghost image onto a blank DVD (the long way) IN ONE GO.  I want this DVD that will contain the first of the gho files to be bootable.  Ghost will offer to pick up the boot files from my A drive at the beginning of creating the image on DVD or maybe not if i have used the -bootcd switch.

My problem is how will ghost get the boot files from my bootable Cd that is emulating my A drive (the one i made) and burn them onto the blank DVD to make that bootable because ONLY ONE OF THE TWO MEDIA CAN BE IN MY DRIVE AT A TIME.  When do i make the switch - remove the bootable Cd and introduce the blank DVD. In other words how can this action of grabbing the boot files and burn them onto the DVD oiccure when i can use only one media in my single drive at a time? or am i missing soemthing here?

Is this possible ?- Use nero to burn a multisessionboot disk with only the boot files.  Then use ghost to create an image and burn to that DVD so that it will now be abootable mage on the DVD

I am a newbie who has taken one month to successfully get a ghost DOS bootable CD made  Please bear with me and explain to me simply where my understanding seems to be lacking

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Creating & burning bootable image DVD w/out fl
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2007 at 5:40pm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Creating & burning bootable image DVD w/out fl
Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 1:28am

dutchmann

Quote:
My problem is how will ghost get the boot files from my bootable Cd that is emulating my A drive (the one i made) and burn them onto the blank DVD to make that bootable because ONLY ONE OF THE TWO MEDIA CAN BE IN MY DRIVE AT A TIME.  When do i make the switch - remove the bootable Cd and introduce the blank DVD.

The short answer--Ghost will tell you when to switch media!

When you have booted from a bootable optical disc to DOS and are using Ghost--Ghost will ask if you have your floppy disk in drive A:\--well you don't have a floppy disk in drive A:\--but, your boot files are present in the *virtual drive A:\* that's created as part of the boot process with bootable optical media.

Just say *Yes* when asked if you have the boot floppy disk in drive A:\--Ghost will read those files and prep them for creating the bootable optical disc using the same files you used to boot from your original bootable disc.

When Ghost is ready for the blank optical disk--it will ask for it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print