Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 Bootable CD + Mapped Drive (Read 3500 times)
miediev
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 Bootable CD + Mapped Drive
May 31st, 2007 at 8:07pm

Why does this seem impossible?  Shocked

PC-DOS worked initially, then froze at around 5%. I'm now trying to use MS-DOS but for some reason I can't load the MS Client files, i.e. Ndis2.

When I load the Ndis2 files it then prompts me for EMSBFR.EXE?

What the gerg..what I'm I missing?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 2003 Bootable CD + Mapped Drive
Reply #1 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:09am

miediev

Your question is a bit too vague with limited information!

What *Ghost 2003 Bootable CD* are you referring to?  How are you creating your boot files to map a network drive?

List of boot files being used?

Copy of the the *config.sys* file being used?

Copy of the *autoexec.bat* file being used?

Quote:
PC-DOS worked initially, then froze at around 5%.

So, your boot disc loaded PC-DOS okay, mapped the drive okay, Ghost loaded okay and begin creating an image and then froze at 5%--any error message(s)--failure text or code numbers? 

This could be a *networking* issue, or a Ghost compatibility issue with some system memory management.  If not already doing so, sometimes loading *himem.sys* helps some systems to more properly manage system memory so DOS programs don't *run into each other*.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

miediev
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 1st, 2007 at 7:40pm

NightOwl wrote on Jun 1st, 2007 at 9:09am:
miediev

Your question is a bit too vague with limited information!

What *Ghost 2003 Bootable CD* are you referring to?  How are you creating your boot files to map a network drive?

List of boot files being used?

Copy of the the *config.sys* file being used?

Copy of the *autoexec.bat* file being used?

Quote:
PC-DOS worked initially, then froze at around 5%.

So, your boot disc loaded PC-DOS okay, mapped the drive okay, Ghost loaded okay and begin creating an image and then froze at 5%--any error message(s)--failure text or code numbers?  

This could be a *networking* issue, or a Ghost compatibility issue with some system memory management.  If not already doing so, sometimes loading *himem.sys* helps some systems to more properly manage system memory so DOS programs don't *run into each other*.

^I'm trying to create a ghost 2003 backup image file from a notebook which has no floppy drive and is running XP Pro. Data is being transferred to a mapped network drive located on our server.

When I initially initiated ghost within gui, I set it up using pc-dos. It then rebooted the computer and started the process. It was here that it would only get to 4-5% then completely freeze. Maybe I should paste in the error log info?

After that failure, I decided to try MS-DOS instead. That's when I created the nightowl bootable cd(which worked great btw, I'll definitely use it down the road) and realized it wouldn’t allow me to transfer data to a mapped drive.

Here's where I'm at now. I assumed I could make a "mapped drive"  1.44 floppy set(utilizing ms-dos and ms-client) from the ghost utilities. Then copy the files off the floppies and burn it to a bootable CD. When I attempted to make this floppy set, ms-dos installed fine but ms-client keeps prompting me for "EMSBFR.EXE" after I point to the NIC Ndis2 DOS driver.

This is where I'm at, stuck.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jun 2nd, 2007 at 12:22am

miediev

Quote:
When I attempted to make this floppy set, ms-dos installed fine but ms-client keeps prompting me for "EMSBFR.EXE" after I point to the NIC Ndis2 DOS driver.

I don't recognize that program--you say it's being called by *ms-client*--I've not seen that before--if you're using the boot files created by Ghost Boot Wizard--you should be able to transfer those to a bootable CD--but you will have to make some adjustments to where you place *ghost.exe* so there's enough room for DOS drivers in the boot sector of the optical disc, and where the command lines point to.  Again, post the contents of what Ghost Boot Wizard is placing on the two floppy disks, i.e. the list of files on each disk--plus the autoexec.bat and config.sys--and maybe we can figure out what's needed where.

Maybe this resource will help:  How to Create a Ghost 8.0 Network Boot CD

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print