Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Installed Ghost 12 today, created image (Recovery Point), posted screenshots (Read 157896 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Installed Ghost 12 today, created image (Recovery Point), posted screensho
Reply #30 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 3:13pm

The advice (Reply #29) from El_Pescador, as usual, is both wise and prudent.  Backup is about redundancy, and the core gist of El_Pescador comment is about application redundancy – having two utilities, each doing essentially the same thing, guards against the (remote) possibility of an application/PC incompatibility arising.

After having verified that Norton Ghost 12 works as expected on your hardware, though, the need for this tactic is reduced substantially.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #31 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:15am

Hello:
I am currently testing the copy function of G12 and will post the final results http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186249124/0
In the meantime I am looking for a workaround for the fact that:
1) I can't boot to the recovery environment because after loading files it says bios incompatability and won't proceed.
2)I can't make a custom recovery disk because the driver validation lists drivers i haven't installed, haven't heard of, and can't find on google, e.g. passport minischeduler

Will this work?
create recovery point and store to external hard drive.
Remove primary drive with xp2 os and replace with new drive.
Install xp2 from same cd that was used for the first drive.
Install G12.
Can I now access the recovery point from external drive and convert the fresh xp install to the clone of the original? I hope to have the drivers I need from the xpinstall and avoid the bios issue.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #32 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:16am

Hello:
I am currently testing the copy function of G12 and will post the final results http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1186249124/0
In the meantime I am looking for a workaround for the fact that:
1) I can't boot to the recovery environment because after loading files it says bios incompatability and won't proceed.
2)I can't make a custom recovery disk because the driver validation lists drivers i haven't installed, haven't heard of, and can't find on google, e.g. passport minischeduler

Will this work?
create recovery point and store to external hard drive.
Remove primary drive with xp2 os and replace with new drive.
Install xp2 from same cd that was used for the first drive.
Install G12.
Can I now access the recovery point from external drive and convert the fresh xp install to the clone of the original? I hope to have the drivers I need from the xpinstall and avoid the bios issue.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #33 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 9:30am

rleescott

Quote:
Will this work?

I'm not a Ghost 12 user, but if you are restoring the OS partition--in previous versions of Windows based Ghost, you have to boot to the *Recovery Environment* from the *Recovery Disk* to restore an OS partition recovery point!

Hopefully, a Ghost 12 user can confirm this requirement.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #34 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:14am

Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure that I can use a recovery point from an existing windows boot if something goes wrong with the existing system, e.g., virus, malware, etc. therefore, i don't think you have to boot from the srd to use a restore point. Whether my scenario will work is another issue. Hope to hear from others soon.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #35 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:36am

rleescott

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I am pretty sure that I can use a recovery point from an existing windows boot if something goes wrong with the existing system, e.g., virus, malware, etc. therefore, i don't think you have to boot from the srd to use a restore point.

Individual files and folders--maybe--but the whole OS partition--not too sure!

But, here's a possible *work-around*--but it's somewhat complicated:

Install WinXP using only a small portion of the new HDD, install Ghost 12 as stated.  Now restore the recovery point to a the remaining portion of the HDD--have to watch out for boot issues, drive letter assignments, hidden and active primary partitions, etc.  

Brian has done something like this using the Ghost32.exe (v8.2) found on the Ghost 10 Recovery Disk on a system that he multi-boots to two installations of WinXP on separate primary partitions.  Ghost32.exe is a Windows based version of the DOS Ghost 8.xx  version which runs only under Windows--but you can not use it to restore the Windows OS partition from which it is being run--but you could use it to create images and restore images on another non-active OS partition.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #36 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 3:55pm

rleescott,

NightOwl is correct. You must restore an active OS partition from the recovery environment. You can restore other partitions, eg your data partition, from Windows. You can restore non active OS partitions from Windows. NightOwl mentioned doing this with Ghost32.exe.

You can do something similar with Ghost 12. I have two WinXP OS in my computer. The second is just basic, no antivirus, no apps, only used for testing. This OS is hidden when I'm using my main WinXP. But I can image and restore this other WinXP partition from my main WinXP using Ghost 12. A restore takes 1 minute. It's very convenient. This could help you except in the event of a HD failure. But you would need Ghost 12 installed in both WinXPs. You could create images of your main WinXP from the main WinXP and restore images of your main WinXP from your other WinXP. Messy, but it would work.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #37 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 6:58pm

NightOwl wrote on Aug 21st, 2007 at 10:36am:
But, here's a possible *work-around*--but it's somewhat complicated:

Install WinXP using only a small portion of the new HDD, install Ghost 12 as stated.  Now restore the recovery point to a the remaining portion of the HDD--have to watch out for boot issues, drive letter assignments, hidden and active primary partitions, etc. 

That would be a solution if you had a HD failure of your current HD.

Does your computer boot to the WinXP CD?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #38 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 8:59am

Thanks Brian and night owl. I reviewed the G12 user guide, and, as usual you guys are right. I can't recover my os thru a recovery point without the recovery environment. So now it's time for the hard question.
1)What to do about the bios incompatability mentioned after the srd loads files. it says not compatable with (I have forgotten the 4 letters mentioned and am not at that location, something like AD??) I search ms database and it has something to do with a list of bios before 1999 versus after 1999. If your bios isn't on the list you get this message. Of course the system requirements from symantec for G12 make no mention of this issue before purchase.
Secondly, where do i get drivers like miniport scheduler that the driver validation says I
need to create a custom srd to do a recovery? None of those listed are anything I have ever installed and I assume are part of the xp install. I know others have this problem because the screen shots of G12 test run posted elsewhere on this forum showed the same missing drivers as I do. But no solution is mentioned.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - Aug 22nd, 2007 at 4:50pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 22nd, 2007 at 8:59am:
Secondly, where do i get drivers like miniport scheduler that the driver validation says I
need to create a custom srd to do a recovery?

I'm pretty sure I was missing that driver too. I just chose "automatic" (I'm going on memory) when I ran the create custom CD and Ghost 12 did everything. It finds the drivers from your WinXP.

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #40 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 8:49am

Thanks. I will try to make a custom srd and see what happens. I take it that if I use that new srd to do a driver validation and it works like you say, then it will indicate that I have the needed drivers?

IP Logged

rleescott
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #41 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:10pm

Brian or others:
If you can help with the bios issue, here is the error message:
Firmware(bios) is not ACPI compatible
        9661N
Even id I get the customsrd to work, I'm stuck if it won't go past this point. Is there a fix for this? Surely there are others who have seen this problem.

IP Logged

Carolina_Mike
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #42 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 3:43pm

rleescott wrote on Aug 23rd, 2007 at 2:10pm:
Brian or others:
If you can help with the bios issue, here is the error message:
Firmware(bios) is not ACPI compatible
        9661N
Even id I get the customsrd to work, I'm stuck if it won't go past this point. Is there a fix for this? Surely there are others who have seen this problem.

Have you gone into your Bios and tried cutting it on.  With some of the older boards you could cut it off and on.  You also might try seeing if that MOBO has a newer Bios version

You can force install ACPI but that is another issue and you can also cause more harm than good.  Below are some articles that might help you.

Some of the below might be pertinent and some might not be

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q216573
http://www.windows2000faq.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=15300
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q224826
http://www.driverguide.com/boards/asus/112.html

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #43 - Aug 23rd, 2007 at 5:39pm

In addition to Carolina_Mike's links.

http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=534850

Ghost 12 and Vista CDs are based on WinPE 2.0.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print