Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
recovering files/(jpegs and wks spreadsheets) using ghost, is it possible? (Read 8076 times)
seanmckinney
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

recovering files/(jpegs and wks spreadsheets) using ghost, is it possible?
Jul 6th, 2007 at 5:02am

Hello
Recently I had something go wrong with my PC, the FAT of a 40G partition holding all my photos has become corrupted, other partitions in this HDD (primary, slave) seem unaffected.
I had a backup but intially thought the problem was the OS gone down and, acting in a rush, it appears I ghosted the image of the OS over the backup instead of drive C. YES I know I have probably called myself all the names you are now calling me.
I am not familiar with recovery software and am actually hoping to take the HDD to someone I know that works with computers to get him to have a look at the HDD and hopefully copy the backup FAT that should exist onto and over the corrupted FAT.

However it is proving hard to get hold of this chap and I noticed that symantec ghost 7.0, run off a floppy at boot, seems able to see the directory tree on the 'lost' partition. I have only looked down/up the directory tree to the 2nd layer of directories but the structure seems to be there. If I can't get hold of this chap can I use ghost 7.0 ( bundled with a Biostar MB) to copy either the directory tree and jpegs etc or just the actually jpegs etc to another HDD or partition?
Would such an attempt endanger the files/directories/jpegs etc? I ask as I now beleive that the actual information is intact, just not accessable via windows. Any attempt by me to recover them that might endanger them would be unwise if I can simply leave it to a 'pro' in complete safety.

DOS run of a floppy at boot can not access the affected partition but can see and seemingly access the other partitions. XP too sees the other partitions of the affected HDD and can seemingly access them though I am very 'unkeen' to allow this HDD to be 'booted' by XP incase XP attempts to correct the FAT and totally messes things up.

If I can use ghost 7.0 to copy the files, can someone please talk me through the proceedure? However please bare in mind that you are talking to a relative novice here, or should that be a numpty head, so please keep it simple and largely jargon free.

Please note, the files/directories etc are the real files and directories, NOT ghosted images of them.

Thank you

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: recovering files/(jpegs and wks spreadsheets) using ghost, is it possible?
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 9:28am

seanmckinney

I moved your topic to this forum because it's more related to DOS Ghost issues.

Ghost 7.x is the corporate version of Ghost that is most similar to the retail version Ghost 2003.

I understand that you are a *novice*, and want *jargon free* advice, but with all things computers, we have to attempt to communicate with accurate terminology that we can all agree we understand--otherwise trying to understand what a person has done, and is doing--and offering advice as to how to proceed--especially when you can't *look over someone's shoulder* and see exactly what's what--well that becomes very difficult!

As a *novice*, you might want to read over Rad's Guide to Norton Ghost.  Yes, it's a bit of a read--but you will begin to understand better how things work with Ghost in general, and we will be better able to communicate.

You can down load Ghost 7.x, Ghost 2003, and Ghost 8.x User Guides here:  Manuals

Quote:
I noticed that symantec ghost 7.0, run off a floppy at boot, seems able to see the directory tree on the 'lost' partition. I have only looked down/up the directory tree to the 2nd layer of directories but the structure seems to be there.

and

Quote:
If I can use ghost 7.0 to copy the files

DOS Ghost in DOS can not work at the *file* and *directory* level.  The smallest unit that Ghost works with is a *partition*--which can be copied *partition-to-partition* (cloned), saved to an image file, and restored from an image file.

I've not used Ghost 7.x, only it's retail cousin Ghost 2003, but as far as I know, the only place in DOS Ghost where you have the option of seeing the *directory tree* is after you have set up a backup procedure, and you are telling Ghost where to save an image file to--you then can browse the directory tree of the destination partition where you are planning on saving the image.  Is that what you are talking about?

Ghost 2003 and Ghost 7.x have a companion Windows based program called Ghost Explorer that can load a Ghost image file of a partition (or whole disk), and then you can extract files and directories from the image file to a destination on the system--but that's in Windows--not in DOS!  Do you have Ghost Explorer?

You make a couple statements that need clarification--I can not tell for sure what's going on:

Quote:
I had a backup but intially thought the problem was the OS gone down and, acting in a rush, it appears I ghosted the image of the OS over the backup instead of drive C.

and

Quote:
Please note, the files/directories etc are the real files and directories, NOT ghosted images of them.

So, you need to explain what you mean by a *backup*!

Where is that backup relative to your other HDD's and partitions--i.e. how do you have your system setup?

What exact Ghost procedure did you use?

Quote:
I ghosted the image of the OS over the backup instead of drive C.

So, you no longer have a backup?  Where on the system was that backup?

You stated that you do not have a Ghost image of the *lost partition*, but you do have a Ghost image of the OS?

Quote:
I noticed that symantec ghost 7.0, run off a floppy at boot, seems able to see the directory tree on the 'lost' partition

So, this is the original partition on the original HDD that you can not access in Windows, but Ghost 7 in DOS is accessing that partition?!

So, need a little more detail and clarity to better understand your situation.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

seanmckinney
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2007 at 7:32pm

Thanks Night Owl, a Gerry Rafferty fan perhaps? I will have a read of "Guide to Norton Ghost" later today.
With regard to your questions
The OS was on Primary master on a 6G partition, the rest of the space on that HDD was allocated as a 2nd partition. There was/is some files and bits and pieces on there that are irrelevant.
The lost partition was on the primary slave HDD, I have a ghost image of the OS stored on/in another partition of that primary slave HDD.
The backup of the photos was a partition on a 3 HDD which was set up as secondary slave. Secondary master being a CD drive. This backup was a literal copy of all the photos on the 'lost partition'.
As I said I was is a rush after the crash and thinking the crash had been a hiccup in the OS I meant to ghost a fresh copy of the OS from the ghost image onto the active partition on primary master but seemingly my lack of attention lead to the image being ghosted onto the partition that held the backup photos. Whatever happened I was left with a copy of the OS on my backup partition with the original OS still on drive C.

The ghost proceedure I think I used was the std "ghost from an image" where you select the image and target.

Ghost 7.0 under DOS at boot seems able to see and read the contents of the partition that NEITHER DOS nor Windows XP can see or read. I didnt want to press my luck seeing what ghost could see so I only went in as far as the second layer of directories or files but of what I did see it seems that ghost 7 can see the directory structure as it existed before the problem arose.
Both DOS and Window XP can see and seemingly read the contents of the OTHER partitions on the HDD with this 'dodgy' partition though the "file names" are longer than the 8 or whatever characters that a "dir X:" commad in DOS will show.

I found out that ghost can 'see' the contents of the lost partiton when I thought "lets see if I can see the partition" during the process where you select the image you which to ghost back to whereever.

With regard to the following
"DOS Ghost in DOS can not work at the *file* and *directory* level.  The smallest unit that Ghost works with is a *partition*--which can be copied *partition-to-partition* (cloned), saved to an image file, and restored from an image file. "

so, if I made an image of this dodgy partition that ghost can seemingly see and saved that image somewhere else, I might then be able to restore that image to another somewhere with that restored image possibly being functional, ie working. OR would ghost also copy the dodgy FAT?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 10:18am

seanmckinney

Quote:
a Gerry Rafferty fan perhaps?

Well, I enjoy his music heard on the airwaves--*Baker Street* and *Right Down the Line*--but in general, I would not be classed an *avid music fan/person*--so your reference escapes me--is there something in his song(s) about a *nightowl*--or is there some other statement I made that brings him to your mind????

Back to the matters at hand--okay, I have somewhat a better understanding of your setup.  We could possibly spend lots of time exploring and trying to understand *why* that partition can not be accessed by Windows or DOS--but on a practical level, that may not be useful--just out of curiosity--what was going on when you lost access to your partition--do you have any insight into why things *changed*????

Quote:
I found out that ghost can 'see' the contents of the lost partiton when I thought "lets see if I can see the partition" during the process where you select the image you which to ghost back to whereever.

Ah...right!  That's another place where you get to *browse* the directories and sub-directories in Ghost looking for an image to select as your *source*!

The fact that you are able to browse the directory tree suggests that it is not a FAT (File Allocation Table) problem--if it were, I think you would not find that directory tree intact even in Ghost--there must be some other change that is blocking access--maybe the partition is *hidden* for some reason--or the partition *type* (file system designation?) got changed so Windows and DOS are not allowed access.  Just out of curiosity--what is the file system on that *lost partition*?

Quote:
so, if I made an image of this dodgy partition that ghost can seemingly see and saved that image somewhere else, I might then be able to restore that image to another somewhere with that restored image possibly being functional, ie working?

That sounds like a reasonable plan to give a try.  Creating and saving a Ghost *image* is a very safe thing to do--the only problem is that you need enough room for the saved image file size--but that procedure will not over-write or destroy other data.  As you have discovered, it's when you *restore* that you have to be very careful that you have selected the correct location of where you want the image restored to--otherwise you will be destroying and over-writing data you probably didn't want over-written!  So, you need to become comfortable with selecting the correct destination for your restore operation!!!

Quote:
. OR would ghost also copy the dodgy FAT

As I said above, I doubt it's a FAT problem--probably more a *partition* problem.

So, I would try *Local >Partition > to Image*, using you *lost partition* as the source, and if there's enough room--maybe your second partition on the primary master HDD for the destination.

Then, your original backup partition on the secondary slave HDD that now has the restored OS partition on it is probably of no use to you--I would use that as my destination to restore the image of that *lost partition* using *Local > Partition > from Image*.  If the data of the *lost partition* is not corrupt, then that should simply transfer the data from the partition you can not access to one that you can.

Now, if you want to be less aggressive and practice safer computing--using a spare HDD, and not your current original HDD's as the destination to test whether the loss of access follows the Ghost image file data--would be the best recommendation!

Report back with your progress--and any questions you have!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

seanmckinney
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 3:46am

Night owl, re the Night owl/Gerry Rafferty question, Night Owl was the title of about the only album/LP of his I have and it just made me wonder.

Re the problem, you make the comment that it may not be the FAT and that

"there must be some other change that is blocking access--maybe the partition is *hidden* for some reason--or the partition *type* (file system designation?) got changed so Windows and DOS are not allowed access"

that's an interesting point.
One of the error messages I have seen about this partition was something about the FAT being bad, I cant remember exactly what or where I saw that message. BUT if I remember correctly when I first booted the computer and this problem occurred,  I think XP ran scandisk or chkdsk or whatever the disk checking programme is called and I seem to remember seeing something about a non recognised type of partition or file system.
The file system is/was/should-be FAT32.

What was happening when the problem occurred?
I normally have my hard disks in cold swap (swap when the computer is off) caddies. The Primary master stays in the computer all the time in its caddy but I swap primary slaves about. The affected HDD is a 250G Seagate, any other primary slave HDD's are normally 20G of various makes. I had just swapped the primary slave caddies and put the 250G HDD in and the computer booted with this error. That I remember there was no problem with the shut down before I last removed 250G HDD but I think there was a hiccup in the shutdown before the swap, ie the shut down to allow me to put the 250G into the computer, I had left a notepad or text document open and unsaved and had to save it during shut down.

About the computer, from the size of the 20G HDD's mentioned I assume you would guess they are 'old' but they are seemingly sound. The 250G HDD, MB and CPU etc are maybe 18months old. The affected partition holds probably 4000 to 6000 digital camera photos and 35mm negative scans which total probably 20-30G  with most of the digital camera images being 2-3 Mb each.
I also have an old copy of Windows Works, 4.0, on the PC and it seems a bit tempremental. It tends to crash, whilst using spread sheets, if I do a search immediately after I have done a save, I normally have to high light 2 or 3 cells in succession after the save before I can use the search, ctr F. The spread sheets are primarily on the affected partition though the same problem happens with out of date versions of these spread sheets on the 2nd partition of the primary master. I dont store 'data' on drive C.
T
he ghosting an image of the dodgy partition onto another partition sounds like way to go and I will give that a shot if I can a HDD big enough or space in one of the 250G's partitions.

One other thing (as I casually drop in a possible bomb shell), the 250G HDD has always run warm but after the problem I noticed that the fan in the caddy holding the 250G HDD had failed and the HDD was hot.
Thanks
Sean

IP Logged

seanmckinney
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #5 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 5:58am

Ah, I just tried to make an image, with two seperate setups and get error messages via both 'routes'

In the 1st attempt there was a 3 other HDD present, I first put a ghost image of  the OS onto another partition on the 250G HDD and that worked. Then I tried to make a ghost image of the dodgy partition and put that on one of the other hard drives. That failed with the error message

Apllication error 15175, invalid cluster, cluster = 158328,

it also said scandisk should fix this.

So I shutdown, removed the other 3 HDD's and rebooted with only the 250G HDD connected. Ghost kicked out the error maessage

Application error 29004, Read sector failure,  result = 1, drive =128, sectors 161 to 225.

Looks like I am going round to the pro's at 7 tonight

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jul 9th, 2007 at 9:22am

seanmckinney

Quote:
One other thing (as I casually drop in a possible bomb shell), the 250G HDD has always run warm but after the problem I noticed that the fan in the caddy holding the 250G HDD had failed and the HDD was hot.

Heats usually not a good thing for HDD's--but....the HDD seems to be working okay otherwise.

Quote:
BUT if I remember correctly when I first booted the computer and this problem occurred,  I think XP ran scandisk or chkdsk or whatever the disk checking programme is called and I seem to remember seeing something about a non recognised type of partition or file system.

Well, XP runs a quick scan on each boot--if an error flag is set for a given HDD during its last use--then the system goes through a more complete scan on the next boot if that quick scan sees the *dirty bit* flag set.  So, it appears that an error was seen by the system on the last use of that HDD which caused WinXP to run that more thorough scan on boot when the HDD was again on the system.

Trouble shooting a HDD with important data on it is always a risk--if something goes wrong, well, matters just get worse.  If it's at all possible, creating a copy of the data and using the copy to trouble shoot is the safest way to go.

You can possibly start Ghost with a switch that forces Ghost to ignore *bad clusters*--the switch is *-fro*.  So start Ghost at the command line with:  ghost.exe -fro.

If that allows Ghost to work with the data on that partition, now you could either attempt cloning directly disk-to-disk *Local > Partition > to Partition*, or first create an image file *Local > Partition >to Image*--and then restoring that image to another HDD *Local > Partition > from Image*.

With the data on a different HDD, you can then remove the original (thus protecting it), and then perform various repairs on the *copy*.

There are programs that can attempt to fix *bad clusters*--WinXP's chkdsk is one such program--but, it appears that it did not work when you first booted--because you have lost access to the partition--and the bad clusters are still there!  But, it is the first line of troubleshooting:   How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

Let us know how things are going!

IP Logged

seanmckinney
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #7 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 11:53am

The guy who is looking at this is in the middle of a move so things have been a bit drawn out, any way success, here's the highlights of his last message

"1. The drive diagnostics has shown no "hard" fault on the drive.
2. Master Boot Record had been wiped (E: drive). All of the extended DOS
partition information was intact.
3. I was able to rebuild the boot sector using a nice little utility.

I had already recovered all 12,000 photos from the E: drive, but now you
don't have to re- index them all.
"
My understanding of what he did was to copy the 'info' first, with some jpeg searcher so as not to endanger the info. Once it had been copied he then checked the disc etc etc. I will try to get the details tonight when I pick the HDD up

I think I am going to have to get busy burning CD's. 12000 Jpegs whoooooops I am a bit keen on pressing the shutter button

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jul 16th, 2007 at 11:23pm

seanmckinney

Thanks for the report back--glad to hear you have had success recovering your data!

Quote:
what he did was to copy the 'info' first, with some jpeg searcher so as not to endanger the info. Once it had been copied he then checked the disc etc etc.

Sounds like a good, careful tech!

IP Logged

seanmckinney
N00b

I Love Radified!

UK

Reply #9 - Aug 21st, 2007 at 5:17pm

Sort of final update, the jpeg recovery programme I think the "tech" used is pci_us_smartrecovery.exe

http://www.pcinspector.de/smart_media_recovery/uk/welcome.htm

a freebie and kicks out the resultant jpegs as CONVAR1 , CONVAR2, CONVAR3............ etc. I ran that on the HDD containing the overwritten backups and got 3000 jpegs off that.
BE WARNED in deep scanning mode it takes a long time, 10-12 hours on a 20G
Between the two sets of recovered jpegs and what jpegs survived the remaking of the MBR it looks like I have got back all but about 10 of the digital camera shots, out of 7,348 that isnt bad.
The scans of 35mm negs and slide film didnt fair so well but at least I rescan those that I lost.

Incidently I just found another jpeg recovery 'freebie', ZAR8.3.
http://www.z-a-recovery.com/download.htm

The pci_us_smartrecovery.exe had kicked out some corrupt jpegs and I ran that ZAR8.3 on copies of some of those corrupt jpegs. I got useful and possibly complete images from quite a few of them. However I am not sure how much you can do with the freebie version, I didnt save the results and only had it look at about 20 corrupt jpegs but it looked promising.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print