Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What should I use to backup my server with Apache and MYSQL (Read 8170 times)
rustyp
N00b

I Love Radified!

What should I use to backup my server with Apache and MYSQL
Jul 7th, 2007 at 8:40am

Hi, all great site.

I have been looking around this site and reading but their is a overwhelming amount of information here for a guy new to the site, so much info I have now entered the state of confusion with all the options, I figure at this point I am better off to just ask for some direction.

Some background info...
A year or so ago I used this site to make up a (thanks so much BTW) boot up CDrom with ghost 5.1d and used it to backup  my computer used as a personal server its a win2k box running FAT32, I added a larger drive to back up my images and for other storage uses its a WD 250 gig, the drive was formatted and setup for NTFS file system, my bootable backup disk could not see the NTFS drive..

Later wanting a bigger, faster and newer c: drive I replaced my current C: drive with a new WD 250 gig SATA drive, after many hrs I figured out how to partition it to be a 30 gig FAT32 and a 220 gig FAT32 drive, whats funny is I made a few images on the larger part of the drive and it worked just perfect I tried today to do a image backup and got the error the destination is the same as the source so it would not let me make the image.

A friend of mine bought ghost 9.0 but didnt like it so gave it to me, I installed it and dont feel comfortable with it either, while I dont understand it I guess I am scared of the hot imaging issue? Is this a issue?  I have had to  restore from my images made with  the 5.1d before in the past and they were rock solid and worked as expected.

My current bootup cd does not see my Imoega 250 gig USB drive or does not see my network so I cant save an image their, I would like to fix this so I can use it to backup my laptop to the external hard drive using usb..

Suggestions please.

Do I need another program?

The boot CD I made with 5.1d is a pain but its proven rock solid, the HOT setup IMO would be a program that ran in windows 2000 like ghost 9, that has NO problems backing up files in use, this way I could have it make automatic backups to my 250 gig drive without rebooting, again its a server with Apache and MYSQL running its important ALL the files in use or not are backed up.

I am sorry to ramble on I am just trying to give you as much info as I can so you can help.

I am not sure if I put this in the right location so sorry if its not.

Thanks in advance,

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: What should I use to backup my server with Apache and MYSQL
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 4:56pm

So that we're clear, you are running Apache and MySQL on a Windows computer?  There's nothing wrong with it, it is just a little unusual.  Apache and MySQL are usually put on a Linux box, while Windows boxes usually use the built in IIS.  Your setup would be a less common one.

For now, I'll assume  your drive is formatted NTFS and running Windows.  My advice might change if I've guessed wrong.  Hot imaging was debated on this site for several years, but now it seems to be an accepted method of backing up drives.  Many members here use it successfully. 

Ghost 5.1 is pretty old (I think) which is why it can't see the NTFS drive.  Ghost 8 is the latest Corp. Ed. and Ghost 2003 is the latest consumer version that runs from DOS (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm out of my expertise...)  You may want to purchase a newer version.  You should be able to find Ghost 2003 cheap right now, since Ghost 12 just came out not too long ago.  If you don't want to buy one or don't have time to shop, Clonezilla is a free utility that works a lot like Ghost that can read NTFS.

I can't help you get your USB drivers working, but I'll move your post to the Ghost 2003 board, where the experts on that subject frequent.

IP Logged

rustyp
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 5:30pm

MrMagoo wrote on Jul 7th, 2007 at 4:56pm:
So that we're clear, you are running Apache and MySQL on a Windows computer?  There's nothing wrong with it, it is just a little unusual.  Apache and MySQL are usually put on a Linux box, while Windows boxes usually use the built in IIS.  Your setup would be a less common one.

For now, I'll assume  your drive is formatted NTFS and running Windows.  My advice might change if I've guessed wrong.  Hot imaging was debated on this site for several years, but now it seems to be an accepted method of backing up drives.  Many members here use it successfully. 

Ghost 5.1 is pretty old (I think) which is why it can't see the NTFS drive.  Ghost 8 is the latest Corp. Ed. and Ghost 2003 is the latest consumer version that runs from DOS (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I'm out of my expertise...)  You may want to purchase a newer version.  You should be able to find Ghost 2003 cheap right now, since Ghost 12 just came out not too long ago.  If you don't want to buy one or don't have time to shop, Clonezilla is a free utility that works a lot like Ghost that can read NTFS.

I can't help you get your USB drivers working, but I'll move your post to the Ghost 2003 board, where the experts on that subject frequent.

Hi and thanks for the speedy reply and the relocation of my post.

I am running win2k SP4 FAT32 I didnt know windows and MYSQL was that unusual.

SO I can go buy ghost 12 and be good to go? If it does a good job I would like to use something that does not require me rebooting.

I read the features and specs
http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=br&pvid=ghost...

I guess I will download the 15 day trial and play with it.

I downloaded the Live cd thing of Clonezilla and never could really figure it out or get it to boot up all the way.

Thanks again for the help.

IP Logged

rustyp
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 6:39pm

I tried to install Ghost 12 and it wont run on windows 2000, any suggestions on what older version to use?

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2007 at 8:56pm

I'm not sure.  Ghost is not my expertise.  Hopefully one of the other guys can give you some advice on which version will work with Win2K.  If not, I'll bump the post again onto that board and someone will for sure be able to answer.

IP Logged

rustyp
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2007 at 8:46pm

I have 2 drives

C:
D:
E:

C: and D: are the same physical drive, E: is another drive, C: is my boot drive, I want to image or copy C: to the blank E:

When I use my current ghost 5.1d boot cd and do a drive to drive copy it takes my E: drive and makes it a C: and D: drive.

So how can I just image or copy the C: partition to E: ??

Thanks in advance

IP Logged

rustyp
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Jul 14th, 2007 at 6:25am

Anybody?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 9:40am

rustyp

Quote:
Anybody?

Sorry, somehow I skipped over this thread and just now read it!

Most retail Symantec Ghost products, to my knowledge, either can not be installed--or will not work on a server platform--so *hot imaging* with Ghost 9, 10, 12, and Save & Restore probably will not work.  And Ghost 2003 that has the option of running from within the Windows interface before re-booting to DOS to perform the Ghost procedure will also not work on a server platform.

I think I've seen reference in the past on Symantec's website regarding server based Ghost corporate products--but I've not seen that recently--may have to contact Symantec to see if such a product still exists--probably expensive, however!

The DOS based Ghost products will work with a system that has server software installed--as long as you shut down the server, re-boot to DOS, and perform your backups from DOS with the server software *off-line*.

Quote:
... ghost 5.1d ...

I added a larger drive to back up my images and for other storage uses its a WD 250 gig, the drive was formatted and setup for NTFS file system, my bootable backup disk could not see the NTFS drive..

Ghost in DOS could backup a NTFS partition to a FAT 32 partition beginning with, I believe, corporate Ghost 6.x (?), and retail Ghost 2002 (?)--and could store an image to NTFS partitions beginning with corporate Ghost 7.0 and retail Ghost 2003.  So, you need a more recent version of Ghost...or to format the backup HDD as FAT 32.

Quote:
My current bootup cd does not see my Imoega 250 gig USB drive or does not see my network so I cant save an image their, I would like to fix this so I can use it to backup my laptop to the external hard drive using usb..

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

Quote:
When I use my current ghost 5.1d boot cd and do a drive to drive copy it takes my E: drive and makes it a C: and D: drive.

Well, in Ghost a *drive copy* is doing what is called a *clone*--creating an *exact* (there are actually modifications--not entirely *exact*) duplicate of the source onto the destination HDD--so your results are to be expected!

Quote:
I want to image or copy C: to the blank E:

So how can I just image or copy the C: partition to E: ??

E:\ can not be *blank* if you want to store images to it--it first has to be formatted as FAT 32 (it could be NTFS if you were using a newer version of Ghost!).

So, format E:\ so it's a FAT 32 partition.  Then use *Local > Partition > to Image*, select the C:\ partition as the source, and direct the image to be stored on the E:\ HDD.  Run the *Integrity* test after the image if created--if passes you should be in good shape!

If you want to backup your first HDD (C:\ and D:\), then run *Local > Disk > to Image*, select the HDD with C:\ and D:\ on it, and then select the E:\ HDD as the destination.

If you want to *clone* (copy) just the C:\ partition to the E:\ drive, then you have to partition your E:\ drive so a partition exists, then use *Local > Partition > to Partition*, select the C:\ partition as source, and then the partition on the E:\ drive that you want the C:\ partition to be copied to.  But, I would not recommend this!!!!   On some systems and versions of Windows, if your Boot partition (C:\) is seen twice (a duplicate is created), and is left attached to the system, then when the system re-boots to Windows for the first time, Window may go bonkers not being sure which OS to boot and read the registry from--this has lead to corruption and loss of the ability to recover the system!!!!  Best to use *images* rather than *clones* to a second HDD--or plan on removing the 2nd HDD before re-booting to Windows, and storing it off the system for later use if you need to replace the original HDD if it *dies*, and you put the *cloned* HDD in the same position as the old HDD!

More questions?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

rustyp
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 10:07am

Thanks for the detail and lengthy reply , its not often I see replies as detailed and dedicated as yours, I will give your suggestions a try, I will need to chew on your reply a while so it will sink in.

Do you know of any products that will 'hot image' and do what I want?

What I dont understand is why they cant take a snap shot of a file in use, for example if I had the program setup to backup modified or changed files every hour,, at say 1:00 pm it would copy that file as is then any changes after 1:00 would be saved at 2:00

I kind of scanned over the A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!until I got to the point of using a flopy, is their a boot CD version of this I dont have flopy drives on any of my computes any more.

I got a copy of ghost 2003 and created a boot cd using your tutorial I guess I need to create another cd using the USB drivers?

Thanks so much again for the help your doing something the mfg should be doing.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 11:21pm

rustyp

Quote:
Do you know of any products that will 'hot image' and do what I want?

Sorry, but I do not--maybe this search will help:  symantec ghost for windows 2000 server

But, I doubt Ghost Solution Suite gives you *hot imaging* of the OS partition!

Quote:
is their a boot CD version of this I dont have flopy drives on any of my computes any more

Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive

Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

Quote:
your doing something the mfg should be doing

I think I might have been ahead of the product development curve--I think it was Symantec's Solution Suite with Ghost 8.3 that came out with their Boot Wizard that now creates bootable CD's instead of just floppies  Wink !

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 6:07am

NightOwl wrote on Jul 18th, 2007 at 11:21pm:
But, I doubt Ghost Solution Suite gives you *hot imaging* of the OS partition!

No currently shipping version of "classic" Ghost does, that's true, but that's not for technical reasons...

More importantly, it's worth remembering that tools that aren't really "native" to Windows aren't likely to be participating in the Volume Snapshot Services server-side API set to ensure that their disk representations are consistent. That's not necessarily a problem at all, as long as they can perform appropriate recovery actions if you restore to an inconsistent state.

Almost all databases with transaction support do this, through writing a log file that is used both to recover the main tuple store and indexes to a consistent state and also rolls forward committed transactions. For important databases, it's good practice to duplex the log so that when you recover the main store you have a second copy of the log of committed transactions leading right up to the point of failure that you can use to bring archived instances to the same state as the failed instance.

This is true no matter what particular database you use, and log duplexing pretty much always requires some planning and configuration over and above what comes "out of the box".

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print