Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 12 Compatibility with Version 10 (Read 3600 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Norton Ghost 12 Compatibility with Version 10
Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:39pm

Quote:
We were told in our briefing by the Symantec Ghost product manager that this new software {i.e., Norton Ghost 12} was able to restore previous images, so we tried just that.  It failed to restore the Ghost 10 images
Source:  Norton Ghost 12.0 is no phantom of its former self

Is this accurate?  Say, for example, that you want to restore a recovery point of a Windows XP system created with Norton Ghost 10 by using the Symantec Recovery Disk for Norton Ghost 12:  does it work okay?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Norton Ghost 12 Compatibility with Version 10
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 2:01pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jul 18th, 2007 at 12:39pm:
Is this accurate?  Say, for example, that you want to restore a recovery point of a Windows XP system created with Norton Ghost 10 by using the Symantec Recovery Disk for Norton Ghost 12:  does it work okay?

I think you didn't get the whole quote:

Quote:
We were told in our briefing by the Symantec Ghost product manager that this new software was able to restore previous images, so we tried just that. It failed to restore the Ghost 10 images or even recognise the old .gho images via the recovery disc. Not the best for legacy images then, even though two years does not equal legacy in our books.

I think the author was referring to .gho images, which would be Ghost 2003.  That is correct, you can't use Ghost 9, 10, 12 etc to restore Ghost 2003 backups.

However, just to further verify this, I used Ghost 12 (on a Vista PC) to open a image taken some time ago that was from a Ghost 10/XP system.  I successfully recovered a file from browsing using the Ghost 12  browser.

There is documented differences/incompatibilities between partition layouts between Vista and older operating systems.  Maybe the author was referring to mixing Ghost 10 and 12 in a Vista hard drive environment, or dual boot environment.

And, as for believing a sample of one, you scolded me many times that such a small sample size is meaningless.   Smiley

Interesting article though.  Thanks!

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 3:57pm

Thanks for the clarification, Ghost4me.

Yes, I did know (from reading the User’s Guide) that Norton Ghost 12 couldn’t restore Norton Ghost 2003 images; but, the quote seemed to imply that it also couldn’t restore Norton Ghost 10 recovery points -- and that seemed quite odd, indeed.  So, this is probably a case where the author of the article is being a bit less than completely clear.

P.S.:  If my prior comments were perceived as “scolding,” then I owe you an apology that I hope you will accept.

Smiley

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 4:06pm

No apology needed -- just kidding you for some of our previous repartees.  Smiley

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 10:42pm

repartee > "Adroitness and cleverness in reply"

source: http://wordweb.info/

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1