Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Convert to Virtual Disk in Ghost 12 (Read 47153 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Convert to Virtual Disk in Ghost 12
Jul 19th, 2007 at 12:47am

Has anyone got this to work? I created a .vmdk file from a .v2i file. That's what it's supposed to do. But this file won't open in VMPlayer. VMPlayer requires a .vmx which is not present.

I tried the Microsoft equivalent prog a few weeks ago. I can't remember the file types but something similar happened.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Convert to Virtual Disk in Ghost 12
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:45am

Brian, concerning the physical-to-virtual (P2V) conversion for VMware, I find it odd that the feature exists in Norton Ghost 12 at all.  Isn’t it the case that VMware can open a .SV2I file directly?  If that is accurate, then a P2V conversion from .V2I to .VMX is unnecessary - right?

Lookin’ forward to hearing more about your experiments in this realm.

P.S.:      Note that Backup Exec System Recovery Desktop 7.0 also has the V2P capability - i.e., the ability to convert a virtual machine to .V2I files that can be restored onto physical hardware.  Sounds quite intriguing!

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 2:18pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:45am:
Isn’t it the case that VMware can open a .SV2I file directly? 

Pleonasm,

That's correct. But I can't get it to work either. It errors out very early in the process.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:33pm

"I created a .vmdk file from a .v2i file. That's what it's supposed to do. But this file won't open in VMPlayer. VMPlayer requires a .vmx which is not present."

Brian,

As you may know, a vmdk is a virtual hard disk, while a vmx is the config file for the virtual machine itself.  A vmdk without a vmx is like a hard disk without a computer--and just about as useful.  The vmx is what VMware Player needs to launch, but there won't be one if all you're doing is directly converting a virtual hard disk.

I believe there should always be at least two vmdk files--one is the config file and the other is the actual virtual disk contents.  When you do the conversion, do you end up with the pair, or is there just one vmdk file?

As for the vmx file, that's the way VMware crippled Player: you cannot create or alter a virtual machine.  That means you'll need something other than Player to create the vmx in which to use your new vmdk.

The usual remedy is to create a new vmx in something like VMware Server and attach the vmdk as part of its configuration, and then you can play that vmx in Player.  (For those who don't know, you don't have to create a new vmdk when you create a vmx--you can use an existing vmdk.)

Since the vmx is a simple text file, another workaround might be to duplicate the vmx from another virtual machine and use notepad to change the name of the vmdk it should use.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:58pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Jul 19th, 2007 at 11:33pm:
When you do the conversion, do you end up with the pair, or is there just one vmdk file?

Dan,

Just a single vmdk file. Well, Ghost 12 hasn't done us any favors if that file won't work. I'll try your vmx edit.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 2:06am

No luck. I also tried the free VMware Server. I'll wait until someone discovers whether Ghost 12 really makes something that works easily.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 2:25am

Just a single vmdk file. Well, Ghost 12 hasn't done us any favors if that file won't work. I'll try your vmx edit."

Well, editing a vmx file won't help if you don't have a valid vmdk for it to use.  I don't know if a vmdk can be valid without its descriptor file, so if Ghost creates only a single file, it may be worthless.

For illustration, the virtual disk I created for my Ubuntu vm consists of three files: ubuntu.vmdk, ubuntu-s001.vmdk, and ubuntu-s002.vmdk.  The latter two are the contents of the disk, while the first is a text file with the following lines:
    # Disk DescriptorFile
    version=1
    CID=5c70fd2d
    parentCID=ffffffff
    createType="twoGbMaxExtentSparse"

# Extent description
    RW 4192256 SPARSE "Ubuntu-s001.vmdk"
    RW 2099200 SPARSE "Ubuntu-s002.vmdk"

# The Disk Data Base
    #DDB

ddb.virtualHWVersion = "4"
    ddb.geometry.cylinders = "6241"
    ddb.geometry.heads = "16"
    ddb.geometry.sectors = "63"
    ddb.adapterType = "ide"
    ddb.toolsVersion = "6530"

Like a partition table descriptor describes an actual partition, this vmdk descriptor file describes the actual virtual disk (which I chose to split across two files because of its size).  The ubuntu.vmdk descriptor file is what is specified in the vmx file as the hard disk the vm is to use.  I don't know if it's possible to use a raw vmdk without its descriptor file.

(Lest we're giving anyone the wrong impression, we should remind lurkers that we're only discussing Ghost 12's supposed ability to directly convert a v2i file to vmdk.  One should keep in mind that Ghost 12 can always be used the old-fashioned way: create a vm with a blank vmdk, then boot the vm from the Ghost CD, and restore the v2i image to the vmdk, just like a real hard disk.)

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 8:20am

Brian, I suggest you use the Microsoft format for the conversion to a virtual disk (vhd). VirtualPC 2004 and 2007 can now be downloaded for free from Microsoft. Then use VirtualPC to set up a new VM using the existing converted hard disk.

BTW, I followed the prcedure through using VMware Workstation 6.0 to create a new VM using the converted vmdk disk from Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Desktop Edition. It worked for a WinXP image. Upon first boot it ran the Microsoft Sysprep mini-setup. Of course, WinXP requires re-activation within 3 days.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 1:26pm

Brian, based upon your tests, it appears that a user needs a full copy of VMware Workstation ($189) and not just VMware Player ($0) in order to open a Norton Ghost 9/10/12 recovery point as a virtual machine.  I seem to recall, however, that several months ago you were successful in doing exactly this with a Norton Ghost 10 recovery point and the VMware Player - am I mistaken?  Has something changed with VMware Player and/or Norton Ghost 12?

The VMware Converter product (included with VMware Workstation 6.0) may be one solution to the problem -- see VMware Converter User’s Manual.

By the way, the free Microsoft VirtualPC tool can’t host a 64-bit operating system, whereas VMware Workstation has this capability.

Dan, have you actually tested the procedure of restoring a Norton Ghost 12 recovery point onto a VMware virtual machine?  In theory, it should work - but does it?  Any words of wisdom on issues/considerations?

Mustang, I am curious:  have you tested the virtual-to-physical (V2P) capabilities of Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Desktop Edition?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 3:24pm

All,

No matter what I do, I see this error message in VMware Player. "The Virtual disk was created as a SCSI disk with SCSI geometries. It cannot be used as an IDE disk."

Mustang,

I tried Microsoft VirtualPC a month or two ago and had no success. I have Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0 Desktop Edition but it produces the same error as Ghost 12. How did you do it?

Pleonasm,

That wasn't me with the Ghost 10 recovery point.

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 4:12pm

Brian,

I tested with VPC2004. It was simple.

1. Start the console.
2. Hit the New button and Next.
3. Choose "Use default settings to create a virtual machine (select a hard disk later.)" and Next.
4. Name the machine and Next.
5. Finish.

In the settings window highlight Hard Disk 1.
Hit the virtual hard disk file button and browse to your convered hard disk.
Start the VM.
First boot will run sysprep mini-setup.

With VMware Workstation it was a little more difficult. You need to create a new VM using the "Custom" option. This will allow you to select an existing virtual hard disk later in the process. When you are given the choice of SCSI adapters, choose the LSI Logic not the BusLogic adapter. This is what Symantec used in the conversion process. I only found this out after the first try. There was no way of knowing what type of disk or adapter was being used as the conversion was happening. This agrees with your results that the converted disk is SCSI. When you get to the hard disk selection, choose to use the existing converted disk.

The VMware Converter will not be of any help here. All it is doing is part of the conversion job Backup Exec does. In fact I tried to use it and it produced an error saying it did not recognize the format. It could be that my converter is out of date and is only able to handle the Ghost 10 format.

Pleonasm,

I have not tested V2P with Backup Exec System Recovery 7.0, but will look into that and post back if I have any success.

IP Logged

mustang
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 4:31pm

Pleonasm,

I don't see the capability to convert a VM to .V2I files. If you mean installing Backup Exec in a VM then running a backup and restoring that backup to a physical machine, I'm not willing to try that. Symantec is very stingy with the activations. If you mean something else, please explain further.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 5:50pm

Mustang, with respect to a virtual-to-physical conversion:

Quote:
{Backup Exec System Recovery} Leverages the power of virtualization, enabling seamless physical to virtual (P2V) and virtual to physical (V2P) conversions to VMware® ESX Server, VMware Server (formerly GSX Server), VMware Workstation, and Microsoft® Virtual Server disk formats.
Source:  Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery

Unfortunately, I don't see any reference to V2P conversions in the Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery User's Guide.

So, what does Symantec have in mind when they talk about V2P?

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 5:55pm

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #14 - Jul 20th, 2007 at 6:00pm

Brian, I had in mind your VMware experience as reported this thread (Reply #3).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print