Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can't Boot from CD (Read 44430 times)
cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Re: Can't Boot from CD
Reply #15 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 9:55pm

.......I didn't pay for it but I downloaded it from another website and it seems to be a different version.
Anyway I got the version you suggested by now and I'll let it run for at least 4 hours and post back.
From your last posts I 'm getting the feeling that my DVD drive is defekt after all but why it can boot Acronis and memtest but not the Vista installation or Ghost 12.
Also it's working well in every other aspect.
Thanks a lot to all of you for trying to help me get this done.......Tommy.......

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:14pm

Tommy, what problems did Notebook Hardware Control create? I'm not familiar with this app.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:37pm

Tommy, it's possible Notebook Hardware Control has done something to your HD that interferes with WinPE booting. Both Vista and Ghost 12 are based on WinPE 2. See my earlier link. I still think you should remove your first HD and try booting from the Ghost 12 CD. If the CD boots then we can work out a way to restore your Ghost 12 recovery point.

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #18 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 4:32am

Hi again.

1st of all I'm certain that NHC caused me all this trouble so I don't recomment it at least not on Vista.
This program measures your core temperature and lots of other stuff.
I should have go just for CoreTemp which is a neat program to measure your core temperature and won't do you any harm.
It's a standalone tiny little program but I made the mistake and went for the more advanced NHC and totaly regret it.

The memtest didn't show any errors and sorry I couldn't save the results.
But I figured something out and that is that my DVD drive is not defekt because I added Norton Ghost onto a USB key and booted from there.
It didn't work on my system but it worked on another PC.
This tells me that not only the USB key boots allright but also that 99% my DVD drive isn't defekt.
That leaves me with my first conclusion to flash the BIOS but I won't do this myself.
I made an appointment with Acer and let them flash the BIOS because if the motherboard gets messed up in the process they have to take responsibility.
If someone of you guys have a better solution please let me know because if I can avoid to flash the BIOS I will.
Thanks again for all your help.
I really do appreciate it.

Tommy

PS.
I'll take my C:\ drive out of the notebook right now and then try to boot from CD again with only my other backup drive in it and if that also goes bad I take them out both and let you know the outcome.
But I think if I' right about the BIOS it probably won't boot even without the hard drives.

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #19 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 7:59am

.......in addition to the message above.

You were right !!

I took out my C:\ drive and the Vista DVD booted right away.
The way I see it, now I need to formate my hard drive somehow so I can boot the Ghost CD and restote a backup to the formated C:\ drive or is there another way to do it.
The way it looks like flashing the BIOS wouldn't fixed it as well.
Hope you can help me out on how to procede.

Thanks a lot for your expertise.......Tommy.......

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jul 24th, 2007 at 3:23pm

Tommy, I wonder if this will work. Change your usual second HD to the first HD position. Put your usual first HD in the second HD position. Boot to the Ghost 12 CD. Restore your recovery point to the OS partition on the new second HD (your old first HD).

You don't need to format prior to this procedure.

Quote:
tick Verify recovery point before restore
tick Check for file system errors after recovery
put a dot in Primary partition
tick Set drive active (for booting OS)

Don't reboot. Swap HDs back to the original positions. Boot.

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #21 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 12:48am

.......ok thanks.
I'll try this out and post back.......

IP Logged

allanf
Radmeister

Hey Rad! What a cool site!

Reply #22 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 8:13am

cheng wrote on Jul 25th, 2007 at 12:48am:
.......ok thanks.
I'll try this out and post back.......

Tommy, Please do keep us all informed! It would be great to see the issue resolved.

Brian wrote on Jul 23rd, 2007 at 10:37pm:
... Both Vista and Ghost 12 are based on WinPE 2. ...

I was thinking along the same lines as Brian. The thing in common with the two DVDs that won't boot is the new(ish) WinPE 2.0 Operating System, which is a scaled-down version of Vista designed to load entirely into RAM. I have read of quite a few cases where people have suffered a "black screen" with a functioning white Pointer when booting WinPE 2.0 - whether from DVD or USB Flash Drive. Like so many problems posted on the Web, there does not seem to be a reliable resolution. (This WebSite is different...   Wink )

I know very little about boot management in Vista. And I don't think that I am alone in this. I have found someone who knows what they are talking about, and who seems determined to get to the bottom of booting with Vista.

http://www.multibooters.co.uk/       Smiley

Well written, but extremely heavy going for a noob like me! I have read it and re-read it... it's not sinking in!  Embarrassed  And I have no idea if the information would be helpful in the current situation.

Here's a sample of some of the confusion around:
Quote:
You say Tomato
Microsoft calls the partition with the boot files the System partition, and the partition with the operating system the Boot partition. Everyone else refers to them exactly the other way round. The boot files on the boot partition. The operating system on the system partition.

Have a read...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #23 - Jul 25th, 2007 at 9:40am

To all reading this thread

Any thoughts on what change(s) can be made to a HDD that freezes the ability to boot to a WinPE based installation or recovery disc?

This is a *bad* situation--if you can't boot a recovery disc--wonder if this happens to the BartPE and its variants as well?

Does the Vista installation disc have the *Recovery Console* like the old WinXP--so this would prevent booting to the *Recovery Console* as well!!!

Can anyone confirm if the Vista installation disc has a similar *Recovery Console* function like WinXP?

Any insights would be welcomed!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #24 - Jul 28th, 2007 at 11:20pm

Hi Everybody.

Sorry for posting back late but my notebook is with Acer.
Had to get a new one to work with and set it up before doing other things with it.
Acer is puzzled as well about the issue.
I was working 5 hours with the guy and then I left it there.
A BIOS flash didn't do it and I have no idea what it is because we put in a brand new hard drive and this didn't solved the problem as well.
As soon as I know what caused it I'll let you guys know.
Thanks again for all your help, I really do appreciate it.
It seems to me that most of the guys here are not quiet that familiar with Vista as yet.
It's a great OS and I'm not sure that Vista got anything to do with this but we will know for sure soon I hope.

Thanks again.

So long,
Tommy

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:08am

Tommy, we are very interested in the outcome.

To summarize.

With both HDs installed, your computer used to boot to the Vista CD.

"Something" happened recently and your computer would not boot to the Vista CD with both HDs installed.

However your computer would boot to the Vista CD if the primary HD was removed.

But your computer would not boot to the Vista CD with a blank HD in the primary HD position.

Is this information accurate?

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #26 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 8:00am

.......not entirely correct.

With both HDs installed, my computer used to boot to the Vista DVD or Ghost CD.
I made a mistake about the drives and found out at Acer that the hard drive which is causing the problem wasn't the primary C:\ drive it was the secondary drive, which is strange as it got nothing to do with the booting I beleive.
Switching the secondary drive to a brand new one didn't help.
While I was switching the drives myself I forgot to boot Vista as I was only concerned with booting from DVD drive but the guy at Acer did and Vista was booting with the primary drive in the other slot but still no boot from the DVD drive if both drives were unserted.
Boot from DVD was only possible with the secondary drive removed which makes me beleive my hard drive is not defekt as well.
Flashing the BIOS didn't help.
Looks like a hardware problem to me (Motherboard maybe?) but I'm not sure of anything anymore in this case.
Anyway as soon as I know what it was you guys are the 1st to know.

Tommy

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 6:24pm

Tommy,

In Reply #19 you wrote..

Quote:
I took out my C:\ drive and the Vista DVD booted right away

Did you have both HDs removed?

IP Logged

cheng
Radmeister

Thailand

Reply #28 - Jul 29th, 2007 at 10:48pm

.......yes and I'm sorry but I made a mistake.
It wasn't the C:\ drive and no I didn't tried with both drives removed.
Today is a public holiday in Thailand so I can't reach Acer but tommorrow I'll call them up to see if they found the problem.
I'm interested myself and I want my notebook back.
Right now I'm using the new flagship Acer notebook but I must say that my previous version rig was running faster even though the new one got the new Core 2 Duo 7300 processor.
Anyway, as soon as I got details I'm back in here.......Tommy.......

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #29 - Jul 30th, 2007 at 1:16pm

NightOwl wrote on Jul 25th, 2007 at 9:40am:
Does the Vista installation disc have the *Recovery Console* like the old WinXP--so this would prevent booting to the *Recovery Console* as well!!!
Can anyone confirm if the Vista installation disc has a similar *Recovery Console* function like WinXP?

In Vista the "recovery console" (aka "Repair Your Computer" in Vista) is part of the F8 boot option, already installed, so you don't need a working dvd drive to access it.  There are more F8 boot options, as explained here:

What are the system recovery options in Windows Vista?

You can also boot from the Vista dvd and select the "Repair Your Computer" option.  The repair options and tools are slightly different from XP.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print