Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 11 disc not created by symantec ghost (Read 4506 times)
jarinez
Ex Member

Ghost 11 disc not created by symantec ghost
Oct 30th, 2007 at 11:44am

My company is using Ghost 11. I have burned an image to a DVD and would like to restore it to a computer. I have tried making a USB drive boot package with the generic CD drivers but it always results in the "disc not created by symantec ghost" error message.

I dont want to waste another DVD, I would really like to somehow make a usb drive that will see the disc properly.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 11 disc not created by symantec ghost
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 10:18am

Ghost4me

I have move this topic to the *DOS-based* Ghost forum because Ghost 11 is not related to the *hot-Windows based* imaging of Ghost 9, 10, 12 and Save and Restore--it is the version of Ghost that comes with the corporate DOS based Ghost Solution Suite 2.x (GSS 2.x)!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 11 disc not created by symantec ghost
Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2007 at 11:09am

jarinez

I do not have experience with the corporate version of Ghost--but a similar problem is present in the old retail release of Ghost 2003!  

The problem occurs when you have created a Ghost image and saved it to a HDD, and then later use a third party burning program to save the image to an optical disc.  Then, after booting to DOS without using DOS optical drive drivers which assign a drive letter to the optical drive, Ghost 2003 uses its built-in optical driver to attempt to access the image file (you know Ghost is using its built-in driver if the optical drive is shown with the *@...* character in front of the optical drive listing in the drop-down menu when selecting the *source* drive for the image!)  Ghost 2003 will only allow access to the image file using Ghost's built-in driver if Ghost was the program that originally burned the image to an optical disc as the image file's creation destination!

If the image was originally created and saved to a HDD, and then burned to optical media later, you must load the DOS optical drive drivers that assign a drive letter to the optical drive.  Then Ghost will access the source optical drive image using the DOS drive letter (no *@...* character) and that image file works fine in Ghost 2003.

Now, you state:

Quote:
I have tried making a USB drive boot package with the generic CD drivers but it always results in the "disc not created by symantec ghost" error message

So, it sounds like you are mounting your optical drive in DOS and it is being assigned a DOS drive letter--is that correct?!  

And, you are still getting that error message even though Ghost 11 is accessing the file using the DOS drive letter and not *@....*?!

Is the image size on the DVD broken up into 2 GB or less chunks so it's compatible with the DOS file size limits?

You could try a work-around by using Ghost to create and burn the image file directly to optical media--and then using those files to create a restore DVD--those files will then have whatever special file structure that Ghost places on optical image files that it burns directly to optical media.  That may allow Ghost to work properly with the files.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print