HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
New and having issues (Read 6112 times)
Grafixx
N00b

New and having issues
Nov 11th, 2007 at 7:52pm

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and having a few issues with Ghost (obviously).

I obtained a set of images, Ghost files, which are:

ABC001.GHS 2.1 Gigs , ABC002.GHS 2.1 gigs, ABC003.GHS 73kb, and ACB.GHO 2.1 gigs

I also have two files: output40.cap (48kb) and output104.cap (100kb)

I've tried to burn the files to seperate DVDs using Nero and I just get burn errors. When I use a boot disk with Ghost on it, I navigate to a second HDD in the computer and select the GHO file to run for the install / reinstall of the files.

The issue is that it sets up the systems (which are multiple OSes of Windows2000 Server, WindowsXP Pro, and Windows Vista Ultimate) in a boot menu to choose the one I want.

When I select ANY of them, it'll start running the standard Windows screen showing the progression bar, then just restart the system.

The other times I've used Ghost  to reload systems (not me creating the Ghost files), it asks for all of the discs (001, 002, 003) but on this one it does not.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: New and having issues
Reply #1 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 1:11am

Grafixx

Quote:
I also have two files: output40.cap (48kb) and output104.cap (100kb)

Don't recognize these as retail Ghost files--what version of Ghost is being used--corporate?

Quote:
I obtained a set of images, Ghost files, which are:

ABC001.GHS 2.1 Gigs , ABC002.GHS 2.1 gigs, ABC003.GHS 73kb, and ACB.GHO 2.1 gigs

You have these files on DVD discs?

It looks like a single DOS Ghost image set consisting of the initial file of *ABC.gho* and three spanned files of ABC00x of 1 thru 3.

Quote:
it sets up the systems (which are multiple OSes of Windows2000 Server, WindowsXP Pro, and Windows Vista Ultimate) in a boot menu to choose the one I want

So, the restored image creates a new HDD on a system that has a multi-boot menu to choose one of the three OS's to boot to?

Quote:
When I select ANY of them, it'll start running the standard Windows screen showing the progression bar, then just restart the system.

So, after restoring the image to the HDD, re-boot and get the menu to select which OS to boot to, you get a failed boot to the selected OS?

So, the original image set was of a different machine--and you are attempting to restore it to a new machine?  Has the original system been *SysPrep'ed* so the restored OS will re-detect the new hardware that it has been restored to?

Quote:
The other times I've used Ghost  to reload systems (not me creating the Ghost files), it asks for all of the discs (001, 002, 003) but on this one it does not.

If you were restoring from optical discs, it would ask for each disc, but if the spanned file set is on a HDD--Ghost does not ask for the individual files unless they are not all in the same sub-directory.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Grafixx
N00b

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2007 at 1:13pm

NightOwl,

I don't know what version of Ghost was used to make the images. I have two Hirens CDs that I'm using to try to reinstall them though, one has Ghost 8.0 on it already with USB support.

I have the files (GHO + 1 GHS) file on three DVDs. I figured as you stated in your post that it would prompt for the other CDs but it doesn't. It doesn't even recognize when I try to get it from the DVD, it'll only recognize the GHO file when I try to get it from a secondary HDD installed in the machine.

Yes, the restored images create three new partitions (1 primary, 2 logical) on the HDD with a boot menu.

I restart but I don't get a 'failed to load OS' error, the machine just restarts on its own when it cycles through the MS Windows loading bar, you know the one that scrolls for progress. It'll go like four or five times and then just restart.

The original Images were from a HP machine that my friend did who is currently not in the country. I'm trying to put them on a Dell machine, which he said would work without an issue.

I didn't do this "SysPrep" as you say because I have no clue what you're talking about.

When I restore off the HDD, it doesn't ask because as you state they are in the same sub directory but with each GHS file being 2+gigs, I didn't think it'd take less than five minutes to restore a complete machine. When I tried the DVDs, it doesn't even recognize the DVD in the drive, says no GHO files are on the DVD but I burnt them to each of the three along with one individual GHS file on the DVD.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 1:26am

Grafixx

Quote:
The original Images were from a HP machine that my friend did who is currently not in the country. I'm trying to put them on a Dell machine, which he said would work without an issue.

And you still believe that?!  More often than not, what you are attempting is not likely to succeed unless the machines are nearly if not totally *identical*!  HP and Dell machines are not likely to be *identical* at any level!

Quote:
didn't do this "SysPrep" as you say because I have no clue what you're talking about.

*SysPrep* is a process you run on a system before you create an image of it.  One does this if you will be attempting to load the OS onto dis-similar machines.  *SysPrep* makes Windows prepare the system for deployment onto other machines so the OS will go through a re-detection of the new hardware and load the needed drivers for the new hardware found.

Quote:
I didn't think it'd take less than five minutes to restore a complete machine.

I would expect more like 10-15 minutes with the files you mention--so I suspect something is not going correctly.

Quote:
When I tried the DVDs, it doesn't even recognize the DVD in the drive, says no GHO files are on the DVD but I burnt them to each of the three along with one individual GHS file on the DVD.

Ghost image files will only be recognized by Ghost by Ghost's built-in DOS CD drivers if Ghost burned the image files directly to the CD.  If you burn with other burning programs, then you must load the DOS CD-ROM drive drivers such as *oakcdrom.sys* and *mscdex.exe* so the optical drive is assigned a DOS drive letter--now using the optical drive's drive letter--you should be able to access the image files--but you have other problems that will probably prevent you from success in restoring the images!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Grafixx
N00b

Reply #4 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 4:51pm

So is there any way that I can open the GHO and GHS files to export the data in them and then possibly re-rip them into a Ghost file that will run on my machine? If so, how? (babyschool me!) thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Nov 14th, 2007 at 9:55am

Grafixx

I've never seen any reference that suggests the ability to do what you are asking--you have to prepare an OS for deployment to dis-similar hardware at the front end--you can not go back after the fact--as far as I know.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print