Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
beginner....2003 update difficulty... (Read 4317 times)
stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

beginner....2003 update difficulty...
Jan 29th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Hi
I'm a very beginner with all of this. With the language, process, what does it all mean, etc etc...

I have the original Ghost 2003 CD. I read here that I should update. I find that very, very difficult to do at Symantec. I also have the Norton's anti-virus, etc software installed as a free protection from Yahoo, which seems to be all the Updater refers to. I get information on the free Norton's use of antivirus, etc, install by Yahoo.  Nothing having to do with 2003 is shown. So, my great adventure ended in a few moments...lol
---
I also, have an interest in being able to create and restore Ghost 2003 Image thru USB2 hard drive. I read that I have to be updated to do that. I went thru FAQ's here without much understanding. Most is vague to me. I have very little technical computer experience.
---
I was able to make a bootable 2003 CD by following the instructions from the Radified site article. But don't understand how to make alterations for USB2. Sorry for my lack of knowledge.Step-by-step instructions would be helpful.

I really don't know what is needed and what is not...
With appreciation...
rs

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: beginner....2003 update difficulty...
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 4:50pm

I am not an expert
but I believe that the ghost 2003 CD is bootable.
when you boot with it  choose option USB 1.1 from the menu.
if your external USB drive is pluged in it should pick it up .
it is not hot plug which means make sure your USB external drive (memory stick)
is already connected then boot from CD.
if it does not boot check boot sequence in BIOS setup(press DEL or F2 on power up)

I use an old enclosure with an old IDE hard drive new modern SATA deives might not bwork.
I formated mine FAT32 so DOS can see it straight away.
and older memory sticks are all FAT any way
use disk to image option on ghost.exe
hope that helps
if not wait for one of experts on ghost
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Reply #2 - Jan 30th, 2008 at 4:32pm

stretch wrote on Jan 29th, 2008 at 3:14pm:
I read here that I should update. I find that very, very difficult to do at Symantec.
rs

Very simple, click on the live update icon and the update is automatic, at least it was in my case. It should update you to build 793.

See here:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...

BTW, if one uses the 2003 ghost CD to boot, one will not have the most recent version of ghost, causing compatibility problems.

As for the learning curve of the process, it took me several readings of the Rad guide to get it and do correctly. You have to follow the instructions literally. Ghost is NOT designed for beginners as it could be very destructive to your data. Consider yourself warned.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 9:31am

stretch

Quote:
I have the original Ghost 2003 CD. I read here that I should update.

There have been at least three different releases of the Ghost 2003 installation CD during its life-cycle--so it depends on which version you have whether you need to worry about the LiveUpdate for it.

You can determine what *build* of Ghost 2003 you have in several ways from within Windows--friendly_jacek's link above has a couple methods depending on your installation method:

Quote:
To verify the installation of the update

Open Norton Ghost 2003.
Click Help > About Norton Ghost 2003. This step displays the version number and build number of Ghost.
Verify that the version and build number are "Norton Ghost 2003.793" and "Build 793."

To verify the update when the computer has Norton SystemWorks installed

Click Start > Search > For Files or Folders.
In the Search for . . . box of the Search Results window, type ghoststart.exe
Click Search Now.
In the right pane, click Ghoststart.exe so it is highlighted.
Click File > Properties > Version tab.
Confirm that the File version: is 2003.0.0.793 or higher.

The first way is if you have just Ghost installed, and the second is if you have Ghost installed along with Norton SystemWorks.  I don't know how Ghost 2003 is installed with the presence of the Yahoo Norton products.

You can also run Ghost in a Windows *command* window (DOS prompt) using its version *switch*.  You need to navigate to any sub-directory, either on the HDD or the Ghost CD where *ghost.exe* is, and then type ghost.exe -ver and then press enter.  You will get the version number and build listed.

To verify what's on your installation CD, place the CD in your optical drive, go to the Windows *Start* button, click on the *Run* option, type in *command* and press enter--you will get a DOS command window--the default opening sub-directory is usually *C:\Documents and Settings\UserName>*.  Type your optical drives letter and a colon and press enter x: will change to the optical drive's root directory.  You can verify what's there by typing the directory command and pressing enter dir   Type cd support will *change directory* to the *Support* sub-directory, and then type cd ghost will change to the *Ghost* sub-directory.  Now type ghost.exe -ver and you will get the version and build of *ghost.exe* on the CD.  Type exit to close the command window properly.

Or, you can boot from your bootable CD that you created and run the version switch from there--if it's this bootable CD, Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive, then just type ghost.exe -ver at the A:\> prompt to get the version/build summary.

If it's less than *build 793*, then LiveUpdate should be able to update you to that final build for Ghost 2003.  If you do *LiveUpdate* your Ghost version, it will only be the *ghost.exe* that's on the HDD in the Ghost sub-directory there that gets updated, you installation CD's version can not be changed at this point--being Read Only media.  Once updated, you have to re-make any boot floppies or CD's with that new updated version.

Quote:
I also have the Norton's anti-virus, etc software installed as a free protection from Yahoo, which seems to be all the Updater refers to. I get information on the free Norton's use of antivirus, etc, install by Yahoo.  Nothing having to do with 2003 is shown.

I have no experience with Yahoo's version of Norton products and how the Ghost installation may interact with it--Yahoo's version may be proprietary and leave Ghost out.  When you installed Ghost to your Windows OS, you should have an interface that shows Ghost's functional options under Windows along the left side:  Ghost Basic, Ghost Advance, Ghost Utilities.  And on the top menu bar should be:  Home, LiveUpdate, Options, Help.

Other Norton programs may be listed along that left side.

Older versions of LiveUpdate will not find Ghost 2003 updates--you have to update your version of LiveUpdate (oddly--Symantec does not LiveUpdate its LiveUpdate automatically!).  Here's the link for the steps to get the most recent LiveUpdate that can access the *archive* server where Ghost 2003 resides:  How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server.

I'll address the USB support later in a separate post.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jan 31st, 2008 at 1:55pm

Thanks...Ben_mott,   friendly_jack &   Nightowl -

I looked into the suggestions given. All have been very helpful & informative. I appreciate your thoughts.

I must have had the Live Updater installed at the Symantec site[1-31-08---v3.40.170]...and I have Build 739.

I really didn't think I had updated Ghose 2003. But, I'm trying to learn what to do and what is on my Ghost CD anyhow. I will take Nightowls advice to see & learn more about how to do these things.

This has been a great help & I enjoy the learning process...well, most of the time Smiley
I am clearing a few things up. I appreciate the help.

When I did this reply, I wasn't sure if it will be received by 3 persons at the same time or seperately.

rs

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print