Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how. (Read 139052 times)
edarnell
Ex Member

You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how.
Mar 28th, 2008 at 7:38am

After browsing boards and google on how to use Ghost 2003 with SATA drives I realized you have to have the .793 build.  If you have the .775 or .778 etc builds you HAVE to upgrade in order to be able to use SATA drives with the -FNI switch. 

Most everyone was under the impression that this patch was 'discontinued' by symantec or no longer available as running liveupdate tells you you are all up to date if you have the .775 or .778 build.

After doing some digging I realized that the patch WAS available if you followed symantec's instructions to access their ARCHIVED Liveupdate server!

Here's Symantec's instructions on how to do this, follow them exactly and you should get the update.  Just make sure all of your ghost services are killed in task manager before the update or it won't take hold and you'll have to run it again.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

Enjoy! Hope this helps, woulda saved me hours if it had previously been posted somewhere.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how.
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 2:34am

Very nice. Thanks. I will sticky it for a while .. until we become familair with it.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 2:55am

It wasn't in the same context but I did post a reply in Latest version of Ghost 2003 downloadable from Symantec on Feb 1, 08 with information about the "archive server". Maybe a permanent sticky with that information would be a good thing? No other context than "Reinstalling Ghost 2003 - how to get it up to date!"

Christer

Edited:
Rad edit: I copied-n-pasted your post here .. for now.

I installed Ghost 2003 a few months ago. I didn't get any updates at all until I added a Hosts-file, giving me a choice of updating from Symantec-Archive. After adding the Hosts-file, it was updated to 793. It took two sessions, first to 789, then to 793.

Have a look at How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server. I think the procedure is complicated. If the installed LiveUpdate version is fairly recent (3.something) you only need to download the Hosts-file and put it in the LiveUpdate folder (C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate).

The next time you start LiveUpdate, you have a drop down menu with the choices Symantec-Live and Symantec-Archive. Choose Symantec-Archive but when done, don't forget to set it back to Symantec-Live.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 12:04pm

A friend of mine is building me a new system with a Micro ATX/Flex motherboard. It will have a sata hard drive. While I have been a user of Ghost since the 90's I make no boast of my prowess. Now using Ghost 2003. I love the program and this forum is the mother-load of helps.  I read (above) the necessity of having build .793 for sata drives. For a test run on my old system I followed some of the intructions herein for upgrading to build .793 (have never upgraded in the past). Will have to duplicate the procedure with the new system. How does one locate the build # ... or know for sure he is there. Usually help/about gives some indication but have been unable to locate anything. Some directions would be deeply appreciated

Jer (the masculine half of jerliz)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 1:06pm

See the bottom of this page:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_1a.htm

IP Logged

Ranger
N00b

Carbon14 in coal... fetch
dino, fetch!

Sydney

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2008 at 3:10am

Hi Guys (includes Gals),

I've been using Ghost for years, since well before 2003 but lay claim to no real expertise.  I just use it becasue I hate getting bogged down in the heavy techno whirlpool of what would otherwise consume me - as if it hasn't already.  PCs should be an 'appliance of sorts' that serve "us" -  not us serving 'IT'.  

That's why I love Ghost... well, at least until I tried to clone from disk to disk one time.  Friggin' careless ambiguous propellor-head 'phrases' bereft of thoughtful logic in anybody's language.  I'll stop now...

I've got a new SATA and mobo combo, and need to get a Ghost PC-DOS diskette happening.  Do I have install Ghost onto my hard drive, update to the latest version, then create the diskette from the updated installation?  Is that the go?

Regards, Ranger   Roll Eyes

P.S. It's Friday arvo.  I'll be back in 48 hrs.  Ciao for now  Cool

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 9:35pm

After several tries I finally was able to bring my 2003 version of ghost up to the .793 specs with the help of this forum. In Googling sata backups I have read all kind of horror stories of people trying to ghost sata drives permanently locking their system up with irreversable consequences. My new system will shortly arrive with at least one sata (boot or system) drive.

It has always been my custom to ghost a new setup after every two or three software installations. If I run into trouble that way I can go back (similar to system restore) to a previous install and start over from there. Since the early 90's I have produced scores (if not hundreds) of images of my hard drive. I cannot think of any major problem I had with any of these "disk to image" efforts. Is there any thing I need to be aware of before starting a backup of my new system? I used Night Owl's formula for creating a boot disk and put it on one of my thumb drives. It is lighting fast and has never failed. Do I need to change any of my settings or re-set any special parameters or switches on the thumb drive before attempting a back up of the sata drive. After updating ghost 2003 to the .973 specs, I coped the ghost.exe file from the hard drive to the thumb drive so as to be booting ghost on the thumb drive with the .exe file with the update. Hopefully this was the correct thing to do.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated HELP!
JERRY  (JERLIZ) LIZ'S BETTER HALF

IP Logged

Ranger
N00b

dino, fetch!

Sydney

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 10:40pm

Thanks edarnell; Rad; Christer and Jer (... jerliz).

Hi Jerry,

Not unlike you your method, I have multiple partitions with clones of each progressive build so hopefully you don't have to go right back to the start if something goes wrong.

Re "How to obtain program updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server." at http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513.  Be careful with the instructions you find at this link.  The 'symantics' for me didn't line up.  The upgraded program is probably fine, but "how to get there"... the words on my screen, during the actual process, were out of step with the printed version at Step 4, Point 2.  I've tried it three times - something is not written in these instructions that should be.

Running off a DOS boot diskette, I have always found the 'partition to partition' cloning process reliable, quick and simple, even with my SATA 320GB hard drive (Seagate ST3320620AS, 7200.10).  Whether partition to partition within the same drive or between a pair of these drives, both my 320GB SATA drives have always worked fine with this version of Ghost 2003.  The mobo is a Gigabyte GA-IPE1000Pro2 with a socket 478 P4 CPU.  

Therefore, I don't think Ghost 2003 (v.775) has a compatibility issue soley with SATA drives so much as something else in combination perhaps.  However, I do seem to have a problem with this version and the combination of a new Gigabute GA-EX38-DQ6 with a socket 775 Q6600 CPU and a 500GB (Seagate ST3500320AS, 7200.11) SATA HDD.  

I discovered this after I'd loaded and customised WinXP SP2b and the mobo driver.  When I rebooted the system with my trusty v.775 DOS diskette, it locked up at the first Ghost screen.  All I got was a title page and a frozen egg timer.

"Try installing Ghost 2003 to the hard disk and run it from here" he thinks. So I dug out my Norton System Works Pro Edition CD-ROM and after running it up on my P4 system first, repeated the same with the Q6600 one.

Until yesterday, I had never seen or run Ghost 2003 from the hard drive only a PC-DOS diskette.  OK... so it's just like the DOS diskette method with better preliminary instructions. With the P4 systems, no problems, I managed to clone partition to partition - easy.  

No so however with the Q6600 system.   After installing the program, everything seemed to be going fine.  While in Windows, I set things up for Ghost to clone P1 to P10, however after I executed and the system restarted, it only got to display the first screen with a title and frozen egg-timer.  The new system had locked up.

When I manually shut down and rebooted, I found i was locked into a loop.  The on screen display had the following text mesages.

"Verifying DMI Pool Data
Boot from CD/ DVD
Starting PC-DOS

PC-DOS 7.1 Startup Menu
1) Run Norton Ghost DOS Operation
2) Retun to Windows without running Norton ghost.  
Enter a choice. [1]"

Microsoft mouse .... (driver specs) continued with...,

"The previous operation has failed.  Please enter the number of the action you wish to take:  

1) Exit to DOS
2) Return to Windows
3) Retry the operation.  

If no action is selected the computer will return to DOS within X seconds."

But it didn't and just frooze at this point.
Even if I chose the option to reboot to Windows by typing "ghreboot" and hitting enter (as instructed) it was still dead.  When scrolled down a new message appeared,

"Internal stack overflow.  
System halted."  

That's the main reason I didn't want to install Ghost to my hard disk, preferring instead to use an updated boot disk.  

Anyway, I ended up having to re-install Win XP from scratch, but there's no point doing anymore until I can find an effective way of upgrading the Ghost boot disk to v.793.

I'm determined to get this right and then document it.. in full.

Ranger

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 10:40pm

What procedure did you use to update to 793?

Ranger was unable to accomplish:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208479601/6#6

Oops, he beat me to it. Must have the faster fingers.

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 9:39am

Ranger
Just the kind of horror stories (yours) I was talking about  in my post. In upgrading my version of ghost I followed directions here in the forum which pointed me to  ... http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

As other have commented the directions are not "user friendly" and I had to go thru the procedure twice before I could say "bingo."
Sorry to hear about your frustrations. It's the time you eat up with trial and error ... and then the total disaster at the end of the tunnel. That's what I want to avoid up front. Hopefully someone here will be able to jump in and provide some help

I should get my new system next week sometime, and so am stymied for now. I don't want to install my array of software without being able to make incrimental backups with ghost as I go along

Jerry (aka jerliz)

IP Logged

Ranger
N00b

dino, fetch!

Sydney

Reply #10 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 10:11pm

Precisely Jerry.  My new system awaits the same solution.

I have installed a licensed version of Ghost 2003 (v.775) from off my Norton System Works Pro Edition CD.  I created another bootable diskette (after thinking I upgraded)... but it’s still only  a version "775".  

The problem with this version of Ghost 2003, according to some, is that it doesn’t work with SATA drives.  This is not true as I’ve been running it routinely on a P4 WinXPSP2 system with two 320GB SATA drives for years - without a glitch; except for when I cloned an entire drive as the target when it should have been the source.  It got really sauced!  Like I should have after 'the incident'.  Ouch!

Anyway, despite big Ouch, I built and maintained my system using ‘partition to partition’ clones - and mostly to and from the same SATA drive.  I have multiple partitions, ten in all, each sufficient to hold the next increment/ iteration of my progressive Win XP build.  Ghost 2003v775 works fine with the P4 with SATAs, but not on my new Q6600 w GA-EX38-DQ6 w a 500GB Seagate.

I usually install the basic WinXP SP2 OS on partition (P) 1 and then I clone it to P10.  (Clone, not backup.)  Next, I install the mobo drivers and clone (this iteration of) P1 to P9, and so on, right through to a 20GB P4 which is the final clone of an identical 20GB P1.

My data is on the D: drive P2. P3 is a clone of P2.  At 1500MB/ minute it doesn’t take that long.  

With respect, if someone is patient enough, does anyone have a step-by-step break down of the upgrade process from Ghost 2003.v775  to v.793?

I've read the link on "How to obtain the program updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server."

When I read Step 4, Point 1. "Run a tool to start LiveUpdate" I take it this mean "Open a program containing "LiveUpdate" and run it" - right?  Step 4 Point 2. "Under Use location profile, on the drop-down menu, click SYMANTEC-ARCHIVE.  

Problem is, when I start LiveUpdate, following on from point 1., I get "Welcome to LiveUpdate..." which starts listing the Symantec products installed on my system. I don't get to see "Step 4, Point 2."

My only option following on from point 1. seems to be to click on the LiveUpdate button, under heading "Norton Ghost 2003" at the top left hand corner of popup window.

Step 4 Point 3 ... etc.

Show I get to Finish Step 4 LiveUpdate but where is Point 2 of both Step 4 and Step 5?  Can someone point out what I'm missing please?

I'd like to be able to make a bootable DOS CD of Ghost 2003.793, having just returned from wall after driving my hair back into its follicles.  

Ranger

P.S. I am mildly dyslexic - sometimes it can take hours for me to write, correct and re-re-edit a post like this.  

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 9:55pm

Building a new system. It has always been my custom to ghost a new setup after every two or three software installations. If I run into trouble that way I can go back (similar to system restore) to a previous install and start over from there.

My new system has arrived and has a 250 gig sata western digital model wd2500ks-oomjbo

Many bad news stories of trying to ghost sata drives. I asked earlier but never did get an answer .... Is there any thing I need to be aware of before starting a backup of my new system?

I used Night Owl's formula for creating a boot disk and put it on one of my thumb drives. It works very well with my IDE drives

For Sata do I need to change any of my settings or re-set any special parameters or switches on the thumb drive before attempting a back up of the sata drive. I have updated ghost 2003 to the .973 specs, I coped the upgraded ghost.exe file from the hard drive to the thumb drive so as to be booting ghost on the thumb drive with the .exe file with the update.

Hopefully this was the correct thing to do.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I really need help now as I want to start with installing my Windows XP on the new WD Sata drive

PLEASE HELP!
Jerry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:27pm

Jer wrote on Apr 24th, 2008 at 9:55pm:
Building a new system.

I'd like to hear a little about your new system. Specs.

Is there any thing I need to be aware of before starting a backup of my new system?  

You'll know soon enough if you have problems. If so, you can always upgrade to the lastest/greater version » Ghost 14, which has no known issues with SATA.

For Sata do I need to change any of my settings or re-set any special parameters or switches on the thumb drive before attempting a back up of the sata drive.

Not that I know of. Booting from a thumb-drive is cool.

Do you have, or have you seen this?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208897629

IP Logged

pi
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 6:32pm

I've upgraded my Norton Ghost 2003 to build=793 but when I try to back up my seagate 250gb sata drive that has around 16gb of data on it the backup ends at 75% at  of the way through everytime and then says backup completed successfully. (with or without the -fni switch)
Same problem whether using an internal dvd or an external usb drive.

(winxp sp2)

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #14 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 9:44pm

PI
My project has been temp put on hold. They sent a mis-matched mother board and processor. I observe with great interest what you have noted about your failed effort to back up the seagate sata. Mine will be a WD sata drive. I hope I have better success. Rad suggested the possibility of having to upgrade to the new Ghost 14. We will soon see. I hate the thought of upgrading since I have had such success with the 2003 version. I have two versions of Acronis that I may have to try if ghost won't do it. I wish I could be of help but, this is my 1st experience with a SATA drive.
Jerry
Jerry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print