Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Latest Microsoft update breaks ZoneAlarm (Read 6425 times)
Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Latest Microsoft update breaks ZoneAlarm
Jul 8th, 2008 at 6:47pm

Seems as tho the latest Microsoft update (MS08-037) to Windows (via auto update) breaks Zone Alarm.

If you happen to use that firewall, after you reboot, you'll find you can no longer connect to the internet. Simply open Zone Alarm and change your Internet Zone Security setting (found under Firewall tab) to » Med (default is High). Temp fix.

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/board/message?message.uid=414440#U414440

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Re: Latest Microsoft update breaks ZoneAlarm
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:56am

Thanks, Rad.Test.

I use ZA Pro 7.0.473 & couldn't figure out wth was going on. Tried changing the ADSL modem, entering different IP settings & tinkering with other Network settings (from what little I knew & user manual); also did a change of the USB cable (as I connect to DSL modem via USB) & internal ports, ... all this to no avail.

Should have seen this post earlier.

Edit:
ZA's official work-around from link (quoted here for your ref)-

We have been working with MS over night on the issue. We are very confident a fix will be released soon. As far as how that is distributed either a patch from MS or in the form of a new build from ZA has not been determined.

We will notify all users of a fix when its ready at the top of the forum in the main announcements section.

We also still stand by our current workaround that you should uninstall the MS update KB951748

And do not set your ZA internet security level to Medium. By setting to Medium you potentially expose your computers to a larger number of other threats than just the one that this patch from MS fixes.

Edit # 2
:
See this link. Apparently installing the newest version of ZA takes care of the problem, there's no need to uninstall the offending MS update.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #2 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 9:01am

zmdmw52 wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 8:56am:
Rad.Test
Just wondering: is that Rad in a test 'avatar'?

jaylinux  
IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 7:00pm

ZoneAlarm has released a new version of all their products today which fixes the incompatability issue with the Microsoft update:

http://forums.zonealarm.org/zonelabs/
http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIs...

I updated one pc with that .483 release with no problems.

As mentioned previously, changing the Internet Zone slider bar from high to medium is an easy workaround if you don't want to install the update.  That is what I did prior to updating today.

I would say that ZoneAlarm gave pretty good customer support to come up with 2 workarounds the day the Microsoft problem appeared, and a new build release the next day.  This is one reason I like ZoneLabs.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Jul 10th, 2008 at 11:09pm

yeah, that's me in FF. I need to be able to see how a non-admin profile is handled in the forum.

installed the za update today. was also impressed with speed of fix release.

returned slider to 'high'.

don't think they should've included 'uninstall ms patch' as a suggested option. believe that was serious bug.

i really like the font zmd is using. what does zmd stand for?

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2008 at 12:18am

Rad wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 11:09pm:
don't think they should've included 'uninstall ms patch' as a suggested option. believe that was serious bug.
Here's the MS KB article. The other (easier) option would be to upgrade to version 7.0.483 (link above).

John. wrote on Jul 10th, 2008 at 7:00pm:
I would say that ZoneAlarm gave pretty good customer support to come up with 2 workarounds the day the Microsoft problem appeared, and a new build release the next day.This is one reason I like ZoneLabs.  
Great support from ZoneLabs & MS too for KB Article about the ZA bug.

i really like the font zmd is using.
Lucida console (default font for Notepad).

what does zmd stand for?  
Nothing in particular, ...maybe
*randomness*
, something I typed quickly & randomly from the keyboard to generate a User Name for online fora, such as this one. (Use it on other fora too).

jaylinux  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print