Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Doing restores without a floppy drive from Ghost 2003. (Read 28189 times)
ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Doing restores without a floppy drive from Ghost 2003.
Aug 4th, 2008 at 7:20pm

I don't have any floppy drives.

It seems you need a floppy drive in order to make a boot disc.

I want to create ghost images of my drives. I would like to store them on an external hard drive.

How do I then make restores from these ghost images? Is there a way to make this work if my operating system completely dies? I want to be able to mount the external hard drive and restore the entire drive (with the operating system) from the ghost image. This seems like it should be easy enough, but I don't see how to do it from Ghost 2003. Or do I need a newer version of Ghost?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Doing restores without a floppy drive from Ghost 2003.
Reply #1 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 7:49pm

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 7:59pm

From memory we made the retail Ghost 2003 CD's bootable as well (although some machines with defective BIOSes may not actually boot the DOS environment on those CD's successfully, the vast majority should).

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:26pm

I tried it. I booted successfully from the Norton Systemworks CD (which has Ghost on it). Only ghost.exe is not in the "boot drive"

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:31pm

Brian,

In creating the boot CD. Will it be able to see (and restore) from a external USB hard drive?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:41pm

ericfree1 wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:26pm:
which has Ghost on it

Unfortunately, we didn't master SystemWorks, that was done by a US product team we just supplied our bits to. The Ghost 2003 CDs are bootable and did have Ghost.exe in the boot package, why theirs didn't is a mystery.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:45pm

ericfree1 wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 8:26pm:
(which has Ghost on it)

If you can see ghost.exe on the CD you should be able to navigate to it from DOS.

Quote:
Will it be able to see (and restore) from a external USB hard drive?

I don't know.

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:07pm

Thanks for all the advice.

I'm just wondering if I've got the right idea:

I want to save ghost backups on external hard drives for easy storage. I want to be able to do restores of my C drive from these backups.

OK, I can try creating this boot CD (which is quite an involved process apparently), and it might be able to see the USB external hard drive.

Does anybody know offhand if there is another product (either a newer version of Ghost or one made by another company) that can do this for sure?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:13pm

ericfree1,

Can you find ghost.exe on your current CD?

IP Logged

ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:29pm

No. It's not there in that format. I must be created from an install program.

All that loads with the Norton Systemworks is "Norton AntiVirus: Emergency Virus Repair". I cannot run ghost from it. It also cannot see any other drive except this "RAM drive" it loads. (I'm just guessing it's a RAM drive.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:33pm

No, I meant can you see ghost.exe on the CD from Windows. Do a search from Windows. If it's there you will be able to find it in DOS. If you find it in Windows, could you post the full path to ghost.exe.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:35pm

The full corporate versions of Ghost have for years had a boot disk builder in them that can do bootable CD/DVD images, and genuine Ghost 8.x and forward had its own DOS USB drivers built in (plus in genuine Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 the boot disk builder can make Windows PE and Linux bootable CD's with 32-bit Ghost and the Windows or Linux USB drivers).

The Norton Ghost 9 and up I know the guys here on these boards discovered some of those had a version of 32-bit genuine Ghost that runs in those bootable product CDs as well (which was a shock to our product team, we weren't informed they were doing that - yay, politics).

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:38pm

ericfree1 wrote on Aug 4th, 2008 at 9:29pm:
I'm just guessing it's a RAM drive

Yup, it is. All bootable CDs tend to work that way - the El Torito CD boot standard is for a small RAMdisk that either emulates a floppy disk or a small HDD. If that mini-boot doesn't load MSCDEX then it can't access the rest of the files on the CD. I don't know what's on the SW CD though, never had to boot using Systemworks edition to know what they did.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #13 - Aug 4th, 2008 at 10:48pm

Quote:
"... Norton Ghost 9 and up I know the guys here on these boards discovered some of those had a version of 32-bit genuine Ghost that runs in those bootable product CDs as well (which was a shock to our product team, we weren't informed they were doing that..."

Retail boxed copies of both Norton Ghost 10.0 and the initial version of Norton Save & Restore had fully "fleshed-out" versions of RESTOREGHOST.EXE (in reality GHOST32.EXE) and GHOSTEXP.EXE onboard.  Creating a WIN PE analog on CD such as the Reatogo-X-PE as discussed in the link below provides a very useful tool for those devotees of "cold-imaging" such as myself:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1144041767/0#0 Roll Eyes

El Pescador

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 1:30am

Thanks for the clarification as to the versions that had this, always appreciate some piscine precision Smiley. As I said, since no-one involved in real Ghost knww this was happening it's no surprise I'm wrong about the exact version numbers.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print