Send Topic Print
My new laptop (Read 6315 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

My new laptop
Sep 3rd, 2008 at 12:26pm

I finally broke down and bought a laptop! A Toshiba A205-S5825.

With Vista  Angry

Found howto websites for putting good-ole XP on it, plus found the drivers needed in Europe! Those folk KNOW what's important Smiley

Learned how to slipstream the sata drivers with the xp home install so the hard drive could be accessed.

But I'm really not up to speed on getting the individual drivers installed. Most of the stuff works when finished. Only the wireless LAN, internal software modem and sound are giving me fits.

Am wondering if it's possible to slipstream all those drivers with the already slipstreamed os and let the install sort it all out...

Anyone do this? Is it possible? Will it work? Can I slipstream all the drivers at once??  If so, how?

roxe

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: My new laptop
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 3:59pm

My cousin called yesteray, wanting me to buy a laptop for her. I first thought of Toshibas, cuz they have a rep as being durable.

I selected this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834114466

cuz it comes with XP and cous' is no techie.

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #2 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:34pm

WOW! nice laptop... I got mine off Ebay for $535 incl. shipping.
dual core 1.73mhz, 1g ram, dvd burner, 120g hdd... etc etc...

I think I'm getting back to "techie"... 'bout time Smiley

Have you done slipstreaming?? Is it possible to slipstream those 20+ drivers with the os?

Well, I guess it's possible to slipstream anything... but the big question is Will it work??

Maybe I'll do a google and see if anyone has a howto page on this...

on 2nd thot... I'll install the os and activate it. Then Ghost that to my 4g flash dr. Then try the slipstreaming and see what happens. Then I can use my Ghost image as many times as this takes.

Why do I pick projects like this??  Am I a glutton for punishment??

Or do I just hate Vista so much that anything is better than that?

Smiley great to be back Smiley

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 9:21pm

Slipstreaming those drivers is possible.  There are lots of how to's on the web.  Google should be able to dig them up for you pretty easy.  Although, if you have a Ghost image of the complete OS, including drivers, then slipstreaming isn't really necessary...

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #4 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 1:46am

Used nlite to delete almost 200mb of "junk"... install went very well. Used the chipset, video, sata drivers from Intel. Got the rest of the drivers from a Toshiba site in Europe... that went well also, except for the yellow exclamation marks on all seven usb hubs. Deleted the hubs, rebooted and they were reinstalled.

NO MORE yellow marks!!

Got the 95+ M$ updates today, and most of my apps installed. Now to finish the other 5 apps and Ghost this puppy...

THEN I can relax!! Smiley

I only installed drivers for all the hardware on board... left off all the bells and whistles from Toshiba.

Sure is nice to work thru this and succeed. I also heard a big sigh of relief from the laptop that it doesn't have to put up with Vista any more Smiley

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:38pm

The only drawback to downgrading a new PC to XP that I see, is that you're installing an 8 year old OS.  All new hardware and software is being created for Vista, not XP. 

With a minimum of effort, I can make Vista look and act a lot more like XP and I do it for every new Vista PC that I install for my customers.

Then if they buy new software or hardware made expressly for Vista, they won't have any compatibility problems.

For the home PC user, there are 22 services that can be safely shut down, either completely disabled, or put into "Manual" mode.  In either case this takes a huge workload off of the CPU and ram and DOES improve Vista's performance.  There are also a few registry tweaks that can also positively impact performance.

I have no love affair with Vista, but I figure it's here, so why not make the best of it.  I had to do the same thing eight years ago when XP started showing up on my customer's desks.  I beat on XP like a Missouri mule till I got it to do what I wanted it to do. Wink Grin Grin

Good Luck with your little Toshiba.....that's my favorite brand of store-bought laptops. 
For the user with lots of $'s to spend, Panasonic and SagerNotebook are very interesting. 

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print