Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
GSS 2.5 and Imaging 64 bit OS's (Read 18573 times)
Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

GSS 2.5 and Imaging 64 bit OS's
Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:43pm

Hi all,

First post - so hello!!!

I got a GSS 2.5 license from work today. I am building two new PC's and I need some input on the following.

System 'October' will have windows xp
x64
on it. System 'November' will use vista
x64

Here is the question. I have 'Live updated' GSS2.5 and the only update was the ghost boot wizard files which installed fine.

I want to use GSS 2.5 Ghost Boot Wizard to create a ghosting boot disk (Imaging cd rom). This bootable should allow me to ghost my future
64 bit
installs to DVD, Other Sata HD's and External USB HD's. It would be great if it could also make the image DVD'S, bootable.

However i am unsure what i have to do. The GSS 2.5 is currently installed on my '2005 PC' windows xp pro  (32 bit). It is on this pc that I hope to create the Ghost Imaging Bootdisk which will deal with the future
bit OS's

What do I have to do on my
x86
windows xp pro GSS 2.5 system, to create a bootable Imaging disk, that will deal with
x64 bit
OS's?

Thanks,

Pablo the great.
Cool

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: GSS 2.5 and Imaging 64 bit OS's
Reply #1 - Sep 3rd, 2008 at 7:26pm

There will be another, larger LiveUpdate out sometime in the next week which revs some more components in GSS2.5 (mostly it's driver updates and more improvements to the Boot Wizard, but there are some other things as well).

Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:43pm:
It would be great if it could also make the image DVD'S, bootable.

If you create a Ghost bootable DVD with the Boot Wizard (DOS, WinPE, whatever), you should be able to add the image files separately - once you work through the wizard to the screen where you select the output location (say, by choosing an .ISO file) the next screen after that should allow you to add additional files (such as the image files) which go into the ISO outside the boot package proper.

Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 3rd, 2008 at 5:43pm:
will deal with the future 64 bit OS's

Any of the current boot packages can deal with the x64 operating systems fine, since x64 can run all the boot environments we include as-is; the only constraint is DeployAnywhere; that wasn't initially developed in our office and so isn't written to our portability standards - it's being re-done for GSS3.0 to run everywhere but is currently only 32-bit WinPE. However, that constraint just affects what environment it runs in, it can operate successfully against any edition of Windows.

The only case where this won't deal with deploying a 64-bit OS is for Itanium systems, where you have to run the Itanium edition of Windows PE 2.1 - and that wasn't available in time to include in GSS2.5 (it would be nice if we could move to PE2.1 but that won't be happening in a LiveUpdate since we just don't have the staff to do that on top of everything else we have planned and are working on for GSS3.0).

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:01am

Nigel,

So after reading your post, I went back to the ghost boot wizard, and I need some help with this:

1. Which PreOs should i use best for imaging
64 bit
installs?

2. Will ghost32.exe image
64 bit
installs, or do I have to select another executable?

3. Is there anyway to use WinPe 2.1 update, instead of WinPe2.0? But is  there actually any point to        upgrading WinPe to the latest version for desktop users?

Thanks,

Pablo the Great

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:53am

Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 4:01am:
Will ghost32.exe image 64 bit installs,

Yes. Every version of Ghost works just the same. Ghost.exe from DOS images 64-bit installs just fine too. So does the Linux version. So does Ghost64.exe

Which PreOs should i use best for imaging 64 bit installs?

Whichever one suits you. That depends on the hardware you run, which is why we give you all of them we can.

Is there anyway to use WinPe 2.1 update, instead of WinPe2.0? 

Yes, but you have to build your own boot disks with the appropriate WAIK. However, there's no point unless you're using an Itanium system.

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 5:26am

Nigel,

Thanks for the info. - it's really cleared some things up.

I would like to ask why there are 3 versions of the ghostXX.exe executable with GSS 11.5.

What is the difference between ghost.exe, ghost32.exe and ghost64.exe.

And where would each be used???

Thanks

Pablo the Great.

Cool

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2008 at 8:44pm

Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 4th, 2008 at 5:26am:
why there are 3 versions of the ghostXX.exe executable

The reason for that is so that each runs in a particular host OS, since those OS's require us to create different ones for each of them.

Ghost.exe is for DOS only. Ghost32.exe is for 32-bit Windows PE (and 32-bit workstation OS's, using hot imaging). Ghost64.exe is for 64-bit Windows PE 2.1 (which does not include a way of running 32-bit Windows binaries) but mainly for 64-bit workstation OS's, using hot imaging - the Volume Snapshot API provided by the OS cannot be called by 32-bit binaries. And finally, there's just plain "ghost" with no .exe extension, which is a 32-bit Linux binary intended to run in the included Thinstation environment. In future we'll probably be offering an Itanium build as well.

The people who use Ghost in business have a lot of different processes they want to build on top of Ghost (to customize and configure the images after deployment) as well as all kinds of exotic hardware that is not able to run every particular preOS. Lots of modern servers can't boot DOS, for instance, or require exotic drivers for their hardware.

Choose whichever preOS suits your needs and works with your hardware, and then just use whichever Ghost binary runs on that preOS.

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 2:18pm

Okay,

I get this so far.

Nigel, if a desktop pc has only a
single
optical drive, and
no
floppy disk drive.....................................

but the user wants to backup to
DVD media

a
) how would one achieve this  - {cold boot imaging}?

-------------------------

b
) Is there an easier way to make these images DVD's ghost bootable,

rather than imaging to another partition, then, adding these image files to the .iso in
NERO (which I use)

(Assume bios does not boot from usb dongles),

Thanks Nigel,

Pablo the Great.

Cool

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 7:48pm

For question A: The Ghost Boot Wizard can produce DOS and WinPE boot CDs/DVDs (as well as one-click virtual partitions and other exotic things which are also suitable) that can do this for you - the Boot Wizard has an enormous number of of combinations of types of boot environments it can build, and locations it can build them. Your really need to explore the Boot Wizard on your own to learn about all of them since there are so many possibilities.

Although, there's really no need to use cold imaging anyway, unless you have machines with only 256Mb of RAM (since hot imaging needs to buffer changes to the disks in memory, machines with only 256Mb often can't manage it) or are imaging something more exotic than a simple workstation, like a live database server.

For question B, Ghost retains the ability to directly make the target CD/DVD bootable with DOS. That's the only direct approach we support, however. In practice, given how large modern images are anyway, there's not really much practical use in this - you may as well just build a single WinPE boot environment to DVD and keep that separate from the data DVDs.

Bear in mind that as a corporate product, there's really no value in using optical media this this way because it requires so much manual effort to manage the media and so can't effectively be automated. And in a business (as in most homes, for that matter) you'll always have another machine around to run the Boot Wizard on to build a recovery environment with if you don't have a suitable one to hand, so direct bootability is simply not the same kind of deal it was for home use in the old Ghost 2003 product.

Moreover, in terms of good practice it's always better to image either to a second hard drive or even better to a central server over a network since that's easy to do on an automated schedule using the GSS console or by scripting hot imaging on the client machines using the Windows Task Scheduler. Optical backups are not only vastly slower, and more inconvenient, they are also much less reliable in practice than just about anything else.

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:29am

Thanks for the response Nigel,

Quote:

For question A: The Ghost Boot Wizard can produce DOS and WinPE boot CDs/DVDs (as well as one-click virtual partitions and other exotic things which are also suitable) that can do this for you - the Boot Wizard has an enormous number of of combinations of types of boot environments it can build, and locations it can build them. Your really need to explore the Boot Wizard on your own to learn about all of them since there are so many possibilities.

I had a look before my last post at the
bootable winpe-512 version
. The problem is that I only have a
single
optical drive
hooked up to my system
, and ghost says:

'Create ISO Image'

'Select this option if you intend to use Ghost.exe
to create bootable CDs or DVDs
. Ensure that the CD you boot from is
not removed at any time
when creating the bootable CD/DVD with Ghost.exe
'

I only have a
single
optical drive on my system. How would I create DVD media backups, as its says
I have to keep
the WinPE-512 bootdisk, in that very drive
in order to
image.

Thanks again Nigel,

Pablo the Great.

Cool

P.S: Addendum. I think I need to also ask this. Are you saying that only the
dos based preOS
bootcd which uses 'ghost.exe' and not 'ghostxx.exe', allows for the target image dvds, to be made bootable.

If bootwizard says u
got to keep
the
Dos
PreOS disk
in the optical drive
in order to make your image DVD'S bootable, how can I get around this
if I only got 1 drive???

And, bootwizard says only WIN 95 / 98 bootdisks are supported for ms-dos file capture.

I remember that for ghost 2003 sp2, only a win ME disk would work properly as documented by NightOwl on these very forums.

Which is the best Dos version to use with Ghost bootwizard - 95, 98 or ME.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:22am

Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:29am:
not removed at any time when creating the bootable CD/DVD with Ghost.exe

It's badly worded, but it just means that you shouldn't remove the boot CD until Ghost is actually ready to write to the new disk. that warning only applies to DOS boot CDs, Windows PE 2 boots using a RAMdisk and the warning is just there because that tickbox and the warning text was overlooked during the process of shoehorning WinPE into the GBW.

Ghost has to read a bunch of files (most importantly, Ghost.exe) from the boot CD and hold them in memory temporarily to write to the first disk of the backup set, and it doesn't read that file in until you've decided to write to a target drive and chosen the compression scheme. There's a final prompt to confirm that you want to write to a CD/DVD, and you can't remove the disk before that. After that (or maybe when you're explicitly prompted to put in a new disk) would be the time to change media.

Incidentally, when you tick the tickbox when building a WinPE CD using the GBW it doesn't actually copy all the necessary files into the WIM itself; it does put -ghostoncd onto the command line but it doesn't put the DOS ghost.exe into the WIM file. There's an open defect filed on that but I'm not the guy who maintains the GBW so I can't say much more than that.

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 5:31am

Thanks Nigel,

If I understand correctly, its
just the wording
on the GBW that confused me. Basically I can create backups to DVD media if I only have a
single
optical drive
I just have to wait until
the
appropriate moment
to remove the Ghost Boot CD, in order to do this. Great!

I am however unsure about this part:

Quote:
Incidentally, when you tick the tickbox when building a WinPE CD using the GBW
it doesn't
actually copy all the
necessary
files into the WIM itself; it does put -ghostoncd onto the command line but it
doesn't put the DOS ghost.exe into
the WIM file. There's an
open defect
filed on that but I'm not the guy who maintains the GBW so I can't say much more than that.  

Are you saying the following:

1. In order to make target DVDs bootable, the only GHOST-BOOT PreOS that will make this work - is the MS-DOS PreOS.

This is because the ghost.exe file (ms-dos only) file is needed to make the target DVD's bootable.

2. Even though the '
make cds/dvds bootable
' tick box is present in the WIN-PE GHOST-BOOT complier, it will
not
achieve
self booting
recovery DVDs/CDs. This was the '
Open Defect
'
you had mentioned.

Now

3. What if, at the Stage where GBW says, 'ADD ADDITIONAL FILES', I added the ghost.exe File (MS-DOS version) to the
WIN-PE
disk. Could we possibly
get around
this '
open defect
'.

Thanks for the continued support Nigel,

I think this thread will act as a reference for many users, and afterwards we can forward this thread as feedback to 'the person who maintains the GBW' that you alluded to.

Thanks again,

Pablo the Great.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 6:19am

For 1), MS-DOS or PC-DOS will work for making the CD/DVD disks with the images bootable while imaging. However, it's an absolutely terrible way of using Ghost when GSS comes with so many better alternatives out of the box, that are innately more reliable and all able to be completely automated.

For 2), that's what I said, although there's more to it than just Ghost.exe, which leads to your question 3), adding Ghost.exe manually will help, but you still need to supply the MS-DOS and PC-DOS system files and MSCDEX.EXE[i] some other way. By default, Ghost's built-in code for this will still try, but it will ask you to insert a floppy. Since almost no modern systems have floppy drives, it's not something that's terribly useful in practice.

Not having WinPE directly making the disks bootable this way is just an oversight, but it's an understandable oversight since the number of customers who use CD/DVD  cold imaging in GSS at all is [i]considerably
less than one in a thousand, and for the direct-bootability feature there's simply no real customer benefit in it at all in corporate environments. Given that we have limited number of staff and the product is extremely large and complicated, things that benefit fewer than one in a thousand customers tend to take a back seat to other stuff.

IP Logged

Pablo the Great
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 8:37am

Quote:
Not having WinPE directly making the disks bootable this way is just an oversight, but it's an understandable oversight since the number of customers who use CD/DVDcold imaging in GSS at all is [i]considerably less than one in a thousand, and for the direct-bootability feature there's simply no real customer benefit in it at all in corporate environments. Given that we have limited number of staff and the product is extremely large and complicated, things that benefit fewer than one in a thousand customers tend to take a back seat to other stuff.

Nigel,

Thanks for the clarity!

Your points are absolutley well taken.

I totally understand that my questions are more appropriate
for a home version
of ghost, and I am grateful for your assistance.

Where I wrote that this guide could be a kind of informal FAQ for other Radified members, I also said that we could perhaps provide feedback to the GBW team.

I strongly believe in users, providing coders with interaction and information, that further strengthens their gratification with the product.

Sometimes through the medium of text, I am not sure whether I had seemed to be criticising in any way - I did not intend to come across like that.

As I hope shows, I attempt to make my questions / posts '
easier
to go understand
' so I always use the
same terms
used by those I converse with with.

Again apologies,

Pablo the Great.
Cool

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 4:29pm

Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 8:37am:
feedback to the GBW team.

That would be Eugene; since GSS2.5 came out he's been very active on the official forums dealing with lots of GBW-related issues (as well as Ghost, since he does a lot of work on the cloning engine too - almost all of us here are responsible for more than one executable in the suite), so he's not exactly short of feedback.

IP Logged

somms
Gnarly

Reply #14 - Sep 11th, 2008 at 3:41pm

Quote:
Pablo the Great wrote on Sep 10th, 2008 at 8:37am:
feedback to the GBW team.

That would be Eugene; since GSS2.5 came out he's been very active on the official forums dealing with lots of GBW-related issues (as well as Ghost, since he does a lot of work on the cloning engine too - almost all of us here are responsible for more than one executable in the suite), so he's not exactly short of feedback.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&thread.id=12678

Official support forums are a joke.  Matter of fact, Symantec and especially their GSS staff have become a joke. 

They have long ago lost site of the true roots of Ghost, as a lean fast DOS executable imaging program.  They seem focused on the slow and bloated WinPE version and no longer care about the MS-DOS executable.  Think its time for Symantec to put the ghost.exe to rest as it is no longer supported or cared about by Symantec...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print