Send Topic Print
beginner (Read 18150 times)
stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

beginner
Sep 12th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Hi
I just bought a Western Digital 320 GB HDrive to use for cloning. I never did this before so I have a few questions.
I wish to use the MaxBlast tools to do this.

1. Should I, "Create Bootable Media" first?
2. Then, to follow the "automatic" option then to Clone Disc.

My question is, do I really have to do the "Create Bootable Media" first?

Is that automatic when I just choose 'Clone Disc' to 'automatic' option.
Thanks with much appreciation...
ron

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: beginner
Reply #1 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 9:59am

All other questions become 'mute' if you don't have at least ONE Maxtor HD in your system.

MaxBlast is offered FREE from Maxtor, just like SeaTools is offered FREE from Seagate.  In both cases you must have one of their drives installed before the program will work to back up the drive.

Other programs like Ghost or Acronis True Image (Retail) don't care what the name is on the drive, , , they work equally well on all brands.

So the question remains....."If you're going to use MaxBlast, Do you have a Maxtor HD in your PC somewhere?"

I know I'll get binged for this but, "WD is the last drive on earth that I'd ever spend my hard earned money on."
As a PC tech, I've just had and seen too many problems with them.
Either Maxtor or Seagate are much more reliable.

Good Luck,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 11:22am

Hi
Yes, I have a Maxtor/150 GB and Western digital/320 GB Hdrives.
I chose Maxtor tools over Lifeguard cause I didn't see or understand what I read regarding cloning with Lifeguard. Maxtor is the bootdrive/C:

I wanted to make an exact bootable copy on the Western Digital HD in case I had trouble with the C: bootdrive. I wanted to be able to insert the WDC and see it boot as the new C: if needs be.

Because of my lack of experience and understanding of what I read, I am seeking advice. I know so very little. But I do know, from reading the experiences and views of others in this community, I learned a little bit. But, I do lack confidence [not being the bright]. I've messed things up before and now am somewhat hesitant about creating more problems for myself.

I learned how to make Image files in WDigital [in another drive] using the upgraded 2003 including the check for verification. That is about all I know of 2003. I learned that to work from DOS is the best approach. The Image files was to be a safe guard as well as a learning experience. I didn't want to go back to recovery starting from scratch. Now, I wish to learn more regardig Cloning and accomplish it successfully by seeing it boot as the C:.

with appreciation
ron

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #3 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:16pm

Ron,
Maxblast, after being fully installed on yur HD, will offer to make you a boot CD.  Go for it!  Then to save space on your HD, you can delete Maxblast from the HD.

Try cloning C: to your second HD.  If it works OK, then the receiving drive will be able to boot your system.  But in NO case will C: be damaged, since it's only being read.

I've used the Maxblast boot CD to Clone my Vista HD repeatedly with NO problems so far.

I even cloned to an external USB drive....and on my PC the external drive was able to boot my system.  You must have a really versatile MOBO to do that.  Roll Eyes Wink

Good Luck,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Sep 13th, 2008 at 12:49pm

Hi...
Thanks. Its good to know that Maxblast works fine. So I expect the same results with XP home.

I know that someday I will be getting a new computer and that Vista will the OS installed. I have one more question. What would be the Norton's backup software to buy? Since I will not be able to use Norton's 2003 for Vista/Image...is that correct? Or what what backup software you would suggect? ...for Image and Clone. I read a lot here in the community, but I become overwhelmed with suggestions and opinions that I don't know which to choose from. Can I get good discount online from one of those offers listed here? [I hope that makes sense...Smiley to upgrade to the next best Norton's backup software. I don't know which to choose from. I suppose one must choose the latest...and yet, sometimes not.

I appreciate you confirming what I thought was the correct thing to do and that you have confidence with Maxblast.
with much appreciation...
ron

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 10:27am

I tried with MazBlast 5 to create a bootable clone HD as I mentioned earlier. My purpose was to be able to replace my old C: HD if needs be. I wanted to keep this backup drive updated so I will never have to use Recovery from scratch again.

I came up with problems I did not understand when I started MaxBlast. This is what I was asked...

1. I selected from the left window, "Create Bootable Media.
2. [next window] I was asked if I wanted "Safe Version" or "Full Version" ...not knowing what I was doing I selected Full Version.
3. [next window] I was given another selection...
      -CD-RW Drive (F:)
      -ISO Image
      -Removeable Drive (A:)
And thats where I stopped.
I didn't find any selections pertaining to the new WDigital D: I wish to clone. Unless, when you clone a drive its is automatically bootable during the process. I have no idea or experience. Maybe MaxBlast can't do this.

The drive I want to Clone is C: to new drive F: to be bootable.
Mypurpose is then when complete, I want to test it. So I will removed the old current C: boot windows XP drive and put the new cloned drive and have windows boot from this newly created clone.

Well, I could use some help. This is the best I can do.
I'd appreciate some perhaps, setp-by-step guidance.
Anyone's help will be highly appreciated...
ron

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 3:48pm

stretch,

MaxBlast 5 is a cut down version of Acronis True Image. I'd imagine you are at the creating a boot CD stage. After the CD has been created you boot from the CD and perform the clone.

So in step 3 I'd choose "CD-RW Drive (F:)"

Ideally, you don't want any partitions on your new HD before the clone process. So there will be no drive letter for that HD.

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 5:02pm

Thanks
I appreciate your reply.
WDigital drive was partitioned, it seemed, out of the box. Only took a couple of seconds.

I made a bootable CD. Then I put into windows MaxBlast.

I suppose I will not be able to use MaxBlast to make a fully ready C: windows XP boot drive. Then I must purchase something without limitations. What software would be the easiest to understand for a beginner? I assume the recommended one's would be Acronis or Norton's. Which would be best purchase in my case?

I the beginning, I thought MaxBlast 5 had to capability to make a fully functional C: backup. Where I would just remove the old C: drive, and insert the newly made drive into the C: slot and boot. Not having to do anything additional after completion of clone.
thanks for your help,
with appreciation....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 5:37pm

stretch wrote on Sep 14th, 2008 at 5:02pm:
I thought MaxBlast 5 had to capability to make a fully functional C: backup. Where I would just remove the old C: drive, and insert the newly made drive into the C: slot and boot. Not having to do anything additional after completion of clone.

That's what it should do.

Boot from the CD and run through the clone menu. It should be easy.

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 7:11pm

Thanks Brian

I will do this. I made a bootable CD as requested.
I'll just do the clone and see what happens.
I thought I misunderstood what I had read from others comments here.  Ok...will do.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 7:34pm

stretch,

Is your second HD mounted internally or is it in a USB enclosure?

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 9:15pm

Thanks Brian
I did the clone successfully.
I came up with things I didn't expect or understand, but the process was completed successfully. Tomarrow I will pull out the old C: drive to test the new one.
When I read MaxBlast instructionst, nowhere could I find it telling me that the clone would be made bootable during the process. I read it when  the process finished.
I appreciate you and Shadow's suggestions. As a matter of fact, you pushed me along. That was good!

I do have additional questions regarding the process that I didn't understand what was meant during the CD boot.
with appreciation...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2008 at 9:48pm

stretch,

Excellent. Fingers crossed that it boots. You didn't mention how the new HD was mounted during the clone. Internal or external. If it was external it may not boot. Let us know the outcome.

IP Logged

stretch
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 1:35pm

Hi Brian
Thanks...all worked perfectly.
It is an internal WDigital HD
Not knowing much about computer and HD, I seem to like the WDC over the Maxtor. It is very quiet and smooth to me. While the Maxtor is clicking away.

I do have a question regarding the MaxBlast CD bootable media I created.
When I restart from the CD, there were 2 options in the middle of the screen. The top option [don't remember the label] and the other option was to go back to windows to do clone setup. That didn't make sense to me, since I learned from this forum that the DOS method was the most reliable. At the time I didn't understand. So I clicked on the top option and got a black screen. Nothing loaded, the computer hungup. I still don't have any idea what that option is for - that is my question(?).

Well, I restarted  theh CD and went to Windows MaxBlast and followed the step-by-step proceedure. Then was asked to restart. The thing is I left the CD still in the drive and I ended up starting all over. So I booted again - the Widows XP blue screen came up showing the DOS MaxBlast proceeding with the clone.
So I suppose the question has been about the other option [the top option] in the MaxBlast bootable media [where I got the black screen and what that option is for(?).

Of course I have a few more 'general' questions, here and there. I hope you don't mind. Unfortunately, I hardly understand what I read. Those that write manuals assume a lot.
I appreciate all the help that was offerred to me...
thanks again...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Sep 15th, 2008 at 3:54pm

stretch,

I hope TheShadow can answer your questions. I haven't used MaxBlast and it's almost two years since I cloned with Acronis TI. Acronis TI writes to the registry of the new HD and gets around Dan Goodell's cloning rules. I tried to make the cloning process fail, but couldn't.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/partsigs.htm

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print