Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
More questions concerning Ghost 2003 and marking drives (Read 50510 times)
TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: More questions concerning Ghost 2003 and marking drives
Reply #75 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:50am

OK, I shamed myself into it.............Now, I feel like a parent that's just done his kids homework for him. Wink Grin Grin Grin

I decided to verify my hypothesis, from my last post.
I broke out my two external hard drives....
# one a 40 gig laptop drive in an unpowered "AirLink 101" external enclosure and....
# two, a 40 gig IDE Desktop drive in a Powered "AirLink 101" External Enclosure.

I've used both drives for backups in the past so I was sure that they both worked OK.

I first tried the laptop drive in a PCI-USB card port and Ghost 2003 never even saw it.  I then plugged it into a motherboard USB port and Ghost saw it and wrote to it with NO problems and NO special drivers or switches being used.  (I never use them)

Then, I did a similar test using the desktop drive in a Powered External Enclosure and got the same results.  It DID NOT work from the PCI-USB port and worked just fine from the motherboard USB port.

I did notice a huge speed difference between the two drives.
The laptop drive was accepting data at about 25MB/min and the desktop drive started off at 80MB/min and dropped some as the backup proceeded.

I hope this will help someone who's been trying to get Ghost to backup to a USB External HD, using a PCI-USB add-on card. (Forgetaboutit!!! )
Those cards have to be Driven by Windows and are virtually dead to DOS.

There, homework done!  I hope I get a good grade. Roll Eyes
An Apple for the teacher? Wink

Cheers Mates and Happy Computing!
The Old Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

voximan
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

England, UK

Re: More questions concerning Ghost 2003 and marking drives
Reply #76 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:42am

I've just done a dummy Local>Disk>Disk, using my Bootdisk. That is, using my main 250GB IDE HDD and my old 80GB IDE HDD as destination disk, with the 250GB ext USB HDD switched off. Both IDE internal drives were detected and displayed by Ghost in PC-DOS. I checked also that, under these circumstances, their respective partitions were displayed. They were.

Conclusion:

There is NO problem of my BIOS recognising my drives, or of Ghost recognising my drives per se.

My problem all along MUST be being caused by the Iomega driver that's automatically loaded by Ghost, when Ghost detects that the ext USB drive is on. Somehow, that Iomega driver is not then allowing Ghost to display the main internal IDE HDD.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print