Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
I'm new too! (Read 16396 times)
tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

I'm new too!
Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:22am

New to radified, but not to Ghost. I've been using it for quite a long time. I was FLOORED that after Ghost 10 they quit including "ghost" and ghost explorer. What was Symantec smoking?

Anyway, that's all fixed now.

That should use up my first "normal" post so now I can post images and links to outside sites  Cheesy

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: I'm new too!
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:15pm

Welcome.

Are you in Toronto? (Oshawa? North York? Mississauga?)

Do you create a new email acct for each different forum you visit?

Is your site parked?

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:27pm

lol. I'm closer to Oshawa then Toronto.

I run my own e-mail (and web, ftp, RDP, etc.) server so you can e-mail "whateveryouwant@mydomain.com" and it gets to me Cheesy

So to answer your question, yes, absolutely every time I give out an e-mail address, it containes something unique to identify who I gave it out to. Works great for figuring out where the junk mail is coming from, then I just ban that address Smiley

Some people get a little freaked out about it. Especially if I'm ordering something online and the e-mail is like "redwolf@mydomain.com" and I'm ordering from redwolf airsoft. They always think it's a scam or something. Shocked

My domain is not parked, it just contains a blank home page Cool
Try adding /accident after my domain and it should show you some pages.

And just so you don't think I'm some nut, here is the page I was trying to post when it told me I couldn't link to an off-site page unless I had "one normal post first". hehe.

Nice to see the admins are on their toes. I'm lucky I didn't have my proxy turned on, sounds like you might have just banned me no questions asked Wink

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:22pm

tafb wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 6:27pm:
I run my own e-mail (and web, ftp, RDP, etc.) server  

out of your house? or a web host?

every time I give out an e-mail address, it containes something unique to identify  

interesting. i have a dozen-or-so accts .. from personal to 'disposable. so if i start getting spammed at one, i can simply delete it, and i disable fwd'ing from non-specific email accts .. so i understand your concept. you just take it to an extreme. but spam has gotten so bad that extreme measures are often necessary.

My domain is not parked, it just contains a blank home page  

why do you do that? i mean, why don't you throw up some basic, generic home page?

told me I couldn't link to an off-site page unless I had "one normal post first".  

that is a standard feature of the yabb forum software we use. discourages forum spammers. it's not like we haven't have problems, but we just try to make it more attractive for them to leave here and go spam other sites.

we try to minimize rules here (i had enuf of rulez in the military), but if somebody wants to spam, i delete their account and ban everything about them i can find. suks having spammers.

welcome. is it starting to get cold up there yet? do you have daylight savings time?

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:28am

Rad wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 10:22pm:
out of your house? or a web host?

Out of my house on my Rogers Cable connection (10MBPS down, 1MBPS up). In average speed tests I can download at 1.2mb/s and upload at 120k/s. Server is a Dell GX150 PIII-1.0 tower with 1gig ram running Windows XP Pro OEM SP2 and a Promise SATA-II raid card running Raid 5 with 4 drives (Seagate NS series drives, 500gig each, for a total space available about 1.5TB). Not that I need that much space, everything on the server is probably 50 gigs or so, but those were the smallest NS series drives I could find Cheesy. The hard drive died (40gig IDE from the factory) about 3 months ago and I was barely able to get the data back (I host websites and e-mail for a few other paying companies). So this time, I went with a more reliable solution Smiley

interesting. i have a dozen-or-so accts .. from personal to 'disposable. so if i start getting spammed at one, i can simply delete it, ...but spam has gotten so bad that extreme measures are often necessary.

Yeah, before I implemented a solution I was getting around 1300 junkmail messages a day! I tried changing my e-mail address, and only gave it out to a few people. Then one retard downloaded the MyWebSearch toolbar and now all of a sudden I'm getting junk mail again! So I said, what's the easiest way to prevent junk mail, not lose any legitimate e-mail, and be easy to manage? A catch-all e-mail address (or server I guess) on a new domain, and give out different addresses for everything I do. That way I don't need to create accounts. The only time I have to do anything is if I start getting junk mail through radified@mydomain.com then just create a "dummy" account caled radified and mark it "disabled" and remote servers can't even drop mail on mine "account has been terminated". lol. I'm running a free version of ArgoSoft mail server in case you were wondering, Apache for web, BulletProof FTP.

why do you do that? i mean, why don't you throw up some basic, generic home page?

Because my domain is used mostly for e-mail. I threw up a crappy home page a while back with some links to google, etc, just kinda a useful basic page. I noticed the hard drive in my server just thrashing like crazy, big CPU spikes (c'mon, it's a P3-1.0!), etc. I ran some tracking programs on IIS (I know, I know IIS is crap...) and alta-vista, google, yahoo, msn, windows live, were all indexing my site thousands and thousands of times over and over. I even did that no-robot trick in the meta tags, no good. I made the homepage blank, no links, and BOOM, nobody indexes me. If I ever have anything useful to say on there I'll put one up. Maybe a blog of my life story with a live diary I can update from my HTC Touch phone while driving around. Just havn't got the motovation yet.

that is a standard feature of the yabb forum software we use. discourages forum spammers. it's not like we haven't have problems, but we just try to make it more attractive for them to leave here and go spam other sites.

If there's one place I hate to see spam more then my inbox, it's on forums. Nice to know they're trying to do something about it.

welcome. is it starting to get cold up there yet? do you have daylight savings time?

It was REALLY warm for halloween (called Indian Summer or something, but I didn't see no Indians). Temp was 19 celcius all day (that's 66F for you) and only went down to 11c at night (52F). It's colder now though. Right now it's only 6c (43F) but no snow at all yet. And sometimes the snow takes us by surprise like this:

It had never even seen rain before

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2008 at 8:41am

Oh yeah, Daylight Savings Time. It just started (or ended, never know which) day before yesturday. We got an extra hour of sleep (clocks went back). To check my local time, go to this page: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_CA-ON.aspx

I see it's 9:45am my time as I am editing this post, your time is 6:45am! OUCH!

If you want to check my local weather report you can do it on a website hosted on my server at http://www.hawthornvalleygolf.com (I did the website too). Live weather is at the bottom of the home page.

And if you want to ever know if it's snowing or if snow is on the ground, checkout the live webcam server I setup at
http://www.roundabouts.ca/orc_webcam.htm (I only did the webcam server, not the webpage)

So how's the weather in Cali? I should really move there. I've got way too many toys to be living in a place where it snows. As soon as the snow comes I have to put away my summer cars (04 Grand Prix GTP CompG and 04 Infinity G35 6MT Premium) and my motorcycle (2002 Honda CBR 929RR) and of course my pocket bike too.

I really should get outa here before the snow comes this year...

So, any computer service related jobs near you in Cali? What do they pay? Cheesy

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #6 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:57pm

I don't think I've ever seen a motorcycle covered with snow like that. I used to have a Sportster, black, suicide handlebars, fun. Had it when I was living in Hawaii.

Not sure about IT jobs here. The Ca economy suks right now, due to the housing amrket. It's estimated 1/3rd of all money coming into Orange county came via mortgage re-fi's. Now that that's gone away...

Weather is getting fall-ish .. for California, that is. Long sleeves during the day. Sweatshirts at night.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #7 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 1:32pm

Since the discussion is about hosting a website and domain, i thought i will ask question(s) pertaining to these.

I am just a beginner. If you ask me, other than Win32 C programming i have not much exposure. But these are generic ones regarding websites.

I want to know what steps are required to have a own website. I find sites giving domain names for some price plan. I have 1MBs connection with unlimited upload and download data transfer at home.

Now if i want to convert it to a website like yahoo or msn what is required from my end.
I have Windows Vista Business and Windows 2008 STD server available along with the good old XP professional.

How do i actually come on the internet with lets say www.ksingh.com ??

Along with the website i would like to have some email accounts also which i can use for my own purpose.

I would really appreciate if anyone guide me in the right direction.

IP Logged

tafb
Dude

I love Ghost 14!

Reply #8 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:29pm

The first step is to register your domain name. I recommend www.godaddy.com - very cheap and GREAT service.

If you plan on hosting it on your own home computer, I recommend you purchase DNS2GO (www.dns2go.com). Also, when registering your domain name with godaddy make sure you set the name servers to NS1.DNS2GO.COM and NS2.DNS2GO.COM

Once you signed up for DNS2GO just install the program and make sure your domain shows up.

I recommend hosting it on your Windows XP Professional computer. Make sure you install the evt 4226 hack at THIS LINK. Set it to 50.

After you get all of the above setup I recommend downloading and installing ArgoSoft Freeware Mail Server at THIS LINK. In Outlook or Outlook Express for example, for your "incoming" POP3 server you will use 127.0.0.1 for the address and the username and password you setup in ArgoSoft (like k@ksingh.com, etc.). The outgoing SMTP server will be your internet providers mail server and you might have to enable "outgoing SMTP authentication" and then put your ISP's username and password in that screen.

This setup will let you create an unlimited number of something@ksingh.com e-mail addresses, and yoruself or other people can also log into your mail server over their internet explorer to read mail (but not send normally).

**MAKE SURE. As soon as ArgoSoft is installed, you enable SMTP authentication in the program incase people try and hijack it to send spam.

Once that is done go into Control Panel, add/remove windows components. Add IIS (it'll probably ask for your Windows XP cd to copy some files). Once it's all installed open internet explorer and type in http://127.0.0.1 and it should show you something.

The folder where the HTML website and other files is c:\inetpub\wwwroot

Once all that is done you need to forward ports in your router. Forward the following ports to your IP address:

Now people on the internet should be able to type in anything.ksingh.com or just ksingh.com and it'll take them directly to your webpage.

Let me know if you get stuck anywhere.

-Jamie M.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #9 - Nov 7th, 2008 at 9:06pm

you might find this interesting:

http://vps.radified.com/

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #10 - Nov 9th, 2008 at 9:01am

Thanks a ton guys for providing me detailed info on how to host the website.

tafb: I really appreciate your help Smiley Smiley

I have a bit of doubts and hopefully you would be coming to my rescue Tongue

I have noticed my service provider provides me dynamic IP. The ip shown in windows network connection and the one shown in the sites which tell IP is different. I think i maybe required to have a static ip. Incase if there is an option of hosting with current configuration do let me know. I think getting a static Ip would invite some more charges from my service provider Sad

I got bit confused when i read this on the website
"DNS2Go is a Dynamic DNS service that enables Internet users to host their own domain name, even if they have a dynamic IP address or are behind a router."

My understanding (limited) is if i don't register my domain, simply i will have an IP which can be put into the browser and my homepage should open. Is that right?

Since I am testing these i was thinking of the this preliminary task: Just have some IP (static or if dynamic will also work) and install webserver(IIS) with simple welcome page and try accessing from the other computer via browser using internet.

tafb wrote on Nov 7th, 2008 at 7:29pm:
After you get all of the above setup I recommend downloading and installing ArgoSoft Freeware Mail Server at THIS LINK. In Outlook or Outlook Express for example, for your "incoming" POP3 server you will use 127.0.0.1 for the address and the username and password you setup in ArgoSoft (like k@ksingh.com, etc.). The outgoing SMTP server will be your internet providers mail server and you might have to enable "outgoing SMTP authentication" and then put your ISP's username and password in that screen.

My Service provider did not provide me any email accounts. They provided a modem which comes via ADSL line and i connect using LAN cable. You mentioned
"The outgoing SMTP server will be your internet providers mail server and you might have to enable "outgoing SMTP authentication" and then put your ISP's username and password in that screen"

This may not be possible in my case Sad:(

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #11 - Dec 16th, 2008 at 10:29am

tafb wrote on Nov 2nd, 2008 at 9:22am:
New to radified, but not to Ghost. I've been using it for quite a long time. I was FLOORED that after Ghost 10 they quit including "ghost" and ghost explorer. What was Symantec smoking?

Anyway, that's all fixed now.

That should use up my first "normal" post so now I can post images and links to outside sites  Cheesy

-Jamie M.

What ya talkin' about? Cheesy
I have Ghost 11.5 and there is indeed a DOS Ghost.exe even a Ghost32.exe which I can run from the XP desktop and of course "Ghost Explorer 11.5".
I've used that several times already, to recover files from very old Ghost images.  It's backward compatible. Wink

So I'm at a loss to know where you're coming from in your post.
It just ain't so!

Happy Holidays!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print