Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error Message: Reboot and select proper boot device (Read 5124 times)
hammer
Dude

I Love Radified!

Error Message: Reboot and select proper boot device
Nov 8th, 2008 at 5:25am

Hi,

I recently put together a new PC and installed XP Pro SP2 along with drivers and apps.
i have a quad 2.8, 4gigs of ram, asus pq53 deluxe wifi and 750gig samsung HDD.
i have three partitions on the drive:
C: 80 gig for windows
d: 500 gig for data
e: reminder of the 750 for ghost image
i then decied to make a ghost image in case somthing happens, using ghost 2003.
once i ran ghost in gui view and select the source and destination, it automaticalled rebooted so it can start making the image.
ghost.exe started and then hanged.
i restarted the PC and this time it would even start.
i kept restarting but ghost wont start.
i then tried selecting the option to boot into windows and skip ghost, but it wont happen. it would just hang and if i remember correctly, it said somthing about stack overflow.

i am now in a situation where ghost wont start and i am unable to go to windows.

i used the XP CD to see how many partitions there are, and for some odd reason there are 4 partitions with quite a bit of unpartitioned space. ans i think one of them was FAT. i am guessing ghost created that. it was only 8mb

C:, which had my winodows on, is now very small and has the ghost files on(mouse drivers, ghost.exe, etc...).

drive F has become the drive which has windows on.

i rebooted again and this time i selected F5(i think i said to skip startup files or somthing like that) when i was given the option to start ghost.exe or start windows.
this gave a command line that lets me see the files on C: (which are the files ghosts created).
i tried to run ghost.exe from there, but as sson as the blue screen comes on with the hour glass, it then freezes.

i deleted those files in C: in the hope that when i restart,  it wont get picked up and windows would start instead..but it didn't.

i used recovery concsole's bootcfg /rebuild, chkdsk and fixmbr.
nothing helped. i am still getting the error: Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device

PLEASE HELP...i dont know what else to do.
MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE.

PS: ohh ya, i also tried to fix the current version of windows using the windows CD(not recovery console, but repairing the copy of windows. all the files were replaced...but this still didn't help). and thise caused all the partitions to disappear except once, namely C: with windows on it. in other words, windows in no longer of F;. it is back on C; and the other partition dont show up.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Error Message: Reboot and select proper boot device
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2008 at 8:02am

hammer,

You need to get out of that Ghost Virtual Partition.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1159904394;start=1#1

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print