Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A bit of help... (Read 30139 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: A bit of help...
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:54am

Easy. Don't worry about drive letters. Your restored Vista will be C: drive. When you restore, the SSD will not be in the computer and on the first boot from the 450 GB HD the new Vista will become C: drive. The SSD can be installed later but that drive will no longer be C: drive.

When you backup, you only need to backup the Vista partition on the SSD. So the size of the image will be around 20 GB. If you backed up the wrong partition, delete the backup.

Have you deleted the empty partition on the 450 GB HD? Was the empty partition first or second on that HD?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:56am

I just read your last post. It's clear now.

IP Logged

Sparky
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 12:59am

I backed up the right partition but I used the entire drive option. And the empty partition on the 450 Gig drive is just showing up in vista's drive management as unallocated 132.82GB and it is the third partition listed. F: is the first for the drive, then W: then the unallocated portion.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 1:13am

I never use the entire drive option. In IFD, will it let you restore the Vista partition instead of the whole HD? I think it should but if not you should re-image the Vista partition.

On the final screen of the IFD restore I suggest choosing...

Set Active
Validate Byte-for-Byte
Restore First Track (Auto)
and nothing else apart from the Max Resize option otherwise you will get a 30 GB partition.

Restoring to the third "space" on the HD should be no problem. Vista should boot as IFD will correct for the starting sector offset.

If you do get a boot error suggesting a BCD issue, boot from a Vista DVD and follow instructions for a BCD edit.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2009 at 2:21am

I've just been playing with an entire drive image/restore and everything you have reported makes sense. As you have probably discovered, you can restore a single partition from the entire drive image.

IP Logged

Sparky
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #20 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 5:01pm

Got the image made and I am ready to rock. Getting ready to validate and restore the darn thing Smiley

IP Logged

Sparky
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 10:01pm

Okay I got it done Smiley Everything seems to be in working order. Now what do do with the solid state drive..... hrrmmm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Mar 23rd, 2009 at 10:27pm

Excellent! I'm pleased it worked first go.

Now you can reinstall your SSD, delete the partition and do what you like. It's up to you. Maybe a backup drive for Vista images?? Seems a shame.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print