Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghosting Windows to installable cd? (Read 3027 times)
John Doe
Ex Member

Ghosting Windows to installable cd?
Jun 28th, 2009 at 11:53am

Hey everyone,
ive been trying to ghost my current install because the partition is getting cramped and other partitions are in the way from expanding it. I want to ghost my installation to a cd so that i'll have all my programs and such (not my personal files obviously) and so that i can install it via cd or usb to another computer.
i havent been on this forum much because i dont have much spare time so sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, maybe you could lead me to it?
can anyone help me?
oh and whats the best ghost to use?
my friend works in an IT firm so i have access to a majority of the ghost versions
thankyou

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghosting Windows to installable cd?
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 12:46pm

@
John Doe

Quote:
my friend works in an IT firm so i have access to a majority of the ghost versions

That would be considered *pirating* and using unlicensed software!

Quote:
ive been trying to ghost my current install because the partition is getting cramped and other partitions are in the way from expanding it.

All versions of Ghost would allow for storing an image of the various partitions while you use a partition program to re-size your partitions, and then restore those images to the re-sized partitions--or to a newly installed, larger HDD.

Quote:
and so that i can install it via cd or usb to another computer

That's much more complicated.  Ghost is not a *migration* tool--it's not designed to move an existing installed OS from one machine to another.  But, with effort, it has been accomplished--one has to use additional procedures beyond a simple image restore:

Ghost image and STOLEN computer - please CLARIFY.

*Yes, we can* restore a Ghost image to Dissimilar Hardware!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

John Doe
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2009 at 1:02pm

what im trying to accomplish is have a cd that can install windows with my settings and programs already there

Ive seen cd's like this when a friend bought a chinese version of xp in china (was pirated no wonder it was so cheap) and when you went to install windows it would show ghost restoring the image and after the restore was complete there would be an activation like the real microsoft activation.
Ive tried to backup a windows xp installation with ghost 14 and acronis trueimage before and when i would restore the backups, the partitions would not boot. i tried setting the partitions with boot properties and they still would not work.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jun 29th, 2009 at 1:51am

@
John Doe

Quote:
ve seen cd's like this when a friend bought a chinese version of xp in china (was pirated no wonder it was so cheap) and when you went to install windows it would show ghost restoring the image and after the restore was complete there would be an activation like the real microsoft activation.

Well, that type of restore is usually used by OEM's to *deploy* a system image to multiple systems--you create a *base image* that can be installed on any machine, the installation process detects the hardware and sets things up, and then requires activation.

You install all the software you want in your *base image*, then use Microsoft's *Sysprep* program to make your *base system* deployable.  Then use Ghost to make an image of that deployable system.

But, most Ghost users aren't interested in going back to some initial system that is 6 months, a year, or however long ago it was when you created that *base system*--most folks want to be able to restore their system to the state it was last week, or yesterday--if something has gone wrong!!!  Which is what you indicated here: 

Quote:
what im trying to accomplish is have a cd that can install windows with my settings and programs already there

When you restore the image--you're back to where you were when you created the image!

Quote:
Ive tried to backup a windows xp installation with ghost 14 and acronis trueimage before and when i would restore the backups, the partitions would not boot. i tried setting the partitions with boot properties and they still would not work.

There can be reasons for this problem--the most common is making an image of a system that is a Dell, or other OEM that has additional hidden utility and/or restore partitions on their system HDD that are not taken into consideration when restoring the backup image--in this case the *boot.ini* file can be pointing to the wrong partition to try to boot from!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print