Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bootable CD starts ghost, then hangs with USB device plugged in (Read 22620 times)
kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Bootable CD starts ghost, then hangs with USB device plugged in
Jul 12th, 2009 at 3:56pm

Hi Folks,

I had this problem resloved a while ago, now I have the need to re image an HP 6535b.  I have the .gho file on an external drive.  I use to be able to use my bootable CD I hand made, access ghost and apply the image.

Now I have misplaced the bootable disk and when I try to use nightolws method ghost hangs if I have the USB device plugged in.

Can anyone give me a hand?

Thanks!

IP Logged

kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Re: Bootable CD starts ghost, then hangs with USB device plugged in
Reply #1 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 7:18pm

UPDATE

I had a -forceusb switch on, I think this is what was causing the USB lockup problems.

Now Im trying again, word for word in Niteowls instructions.  I ran into the error where ghost.exe is to large to inject, so I appended it on the Burn and now I cant lauch Ghost?  What did I do wrong?

*EDIT
The CD boot up and brings me to the A:\ prompt.

When I type in ghost.exe I get "bad command or file name"

All I can think of is that I didnt append the ghost.exe correctly when I burned however, when I explore the CD, all I see is the ghost.exe

I'll be hacking away at this all night until I get it so feel free to post anything! Tongue

J

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #2 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 7:44pm

@
kingbrodij

Quote:
I ran into the error where ghost.exe is to large to inject

What version of Ghost are you using?

Quote:
The CD boot up and brings me to the A:\ prompt.

When I type in ghost.exe I get "bad command or file name"

If you followed the Guide *word for word*, you should have a DOS path that includes drive letter X:--and that drive letter is the one the Guide assigns to your optical drive--so simply typing *ghost.exe* should load Ghost for you!

But, can  you type *X:* and then *enter* to change to the optical drive DOS letter?

Once you do that, can you type *dir* and *enter* and see the *ghost.exe* file listed as a file in the root directory of the X: drive?

Quote:
All I can think of is that I didnt append the ghost.exe correctly when I burned however, when I explore the CD, all I see is the ghost.exe

That's all you should see if looking at the optical disc in Windows.  The boot files are *hidden* on a bootable optical disc.

Did your version of Ghost take care of accessing a USB external HDD for you on your previous boot disc?  Or, did you have to load separate DOS USB drivers to access a USB HDD?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Reply #3 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 8:24pm

What version of Ghost are you using?"

"But, can  you type *X:* and then *enter* to change to the optical drive DOS letter?"

For some reason I cannot change to the x: drive!

Heres the autoexec:

path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe

At the A:\ when I type "dir" I get my boot sector-the 8 files.  I did burn with Nero, seemed smooth, no errors.

"Did your version of Ghost take care of accessing a USB external HDD for you on your previous boot disc?  Or, did you have to load separate DOS USB drivers to access a USB HDD?

Im going to say "NO" because we had a hell of a time getting it to work.
I do have one boot disk that  lets me browse by USB hard drive but when I try and start the push it immediately fails and it cannot write the error log.

Sorry for being such a newb.

Thanks for the fast response also!

J

*EDIT*
HEre is the autoexec that we currently have the most luck with, but upon starting the push it fails immeadiatley, and this mouse driver does not work either:

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+05:00
MOUSE.COM
CLS
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2 /D:cd3
echo Loading...
CD \GHOST
GHOST.EXE  -forceusb -force1394 -bootcd=\CDDVDIMG.BIN -ghostoncd

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Jul 12th, 2009 at 10:08pm

@
kingbrodij

Quote:

Well, Ghost 2003 is the consumer, retail version of Ghost--and it never had built-in ability to access USB HDDs or drives using 1394 Firewire devices either.  Ghost 2003 is very similar to the Corporate Ghost 7.5.  It was the Corporate Ghost 8.xx that came out with built-in support for USB and 1394.

Quote:

So, those switches for *USB* and *1394* are not for Ghost 2003.  And I don't know what -bootcd=\CDDVDIMG.BIN is supposed to do--I've not seen that switch before for Ghost 2003.

*-ghostoncd* is a good switch, but it only has an effect if you plan on saving an image to optical media, and you want the *ghost.exe* that you are using to be placed on the data portion of the optical disc along with the image files--and that's a good thing to do if you are booting from optical media, and you can not fit all the boot files + *ghost.exe* into the 1.44 MB hidden boot sector of the optical disc.

Quote:
For some reason I cannot change to the x: drive!

Heres the autoexec:

Okay, but where's the *config.sys*--it has to mount the optical drive properly before *mscdex.exe* takes care of assigning a DOS drive letter in *autoexec.bat*.

Quote:
"Did your version of Ghost take care of accessing a USB external HDD for you on your previous boot disc?  Or, did you have to load separate DOS USB drivers to access a USB HDD?"

Im going to say "NO" because we had a hell of a time getting it to work.

For Ghost 2003, you have to use either the DOS files that were included with Ghost 2003 that mount USB 2.0 HDDs in *config.sys*--*device=aspiehci.sys /int /all*, and then assign DOS drive letters in *autoexec.bat*--*guest.exe*.

For USB 1.x devices, your *config.sys* would look like this:

Quote:
device=aspiohci.sys /int /all
device=aspiohci.sys /int /all
device=aspiohci.sys /int /all /d1
device=aspiohci.sys /int /all /d2
device=aspiohci.sys /int /all /d3
device=aspiuhci.sys /int /all
device=aspiuhci.sys /int /all /d1
device=aspiuhci.sys /int /all /d2
device=aspiuhci.sys /int /all /d3

, and *guest.exe* remains the same in *autoexec.bat*.

For 1394 Firewire devices, you would use *device=aspi1394 /int /all* in *config.sys*, and *guest.exe* remains the same in *autoexec.bat*.

If you add DOS drivers for USB or 1394 Firewire devices to the boot files, they then take up too much space in the 1.44 MB hidden boot sector--so *ghost.exe* needs to be removed from the boot sector and placed on the data portion of the boot disc.

Or, you can use a DOS USB driver that is provided by Panasonic:

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

Adding USB (and Firewire) to Ghost Boot CD

Placing *ghost.exe* on the bootable CD/DVD project disc

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Reply #5 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 9:17am

Wow, Im struggleing here.
We are not using 2003, we are using  Ghost Enterprise, Version 7, Sorry for that.

I used your guide word for word and it works.
However, I cannot see the external USB stroage.

I added the below files and it just hangs at scanning USB devices.

"
[config.sys]

Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v
Device=di1000dd.sys

Then add the following two files to the other list of boot files that you are injecting using WinImage:

[Added files]

Di1000dd.sys
Usbaspi.sys"

J

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #6 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 10:28am

@
kingbrodij

Quote:
We are not using 2003, we are using  Ghost Enterprise, Version 7

Ok--Ghost 7.0 is most like retail Ghost 2002--and Ghost 7.5 most like Ghost 2003--but, Ghost 7.x does require the external DOS USB driver to have access to USB devices!

Quote:
I added the below files and it just hangs at scanning USB devices

Usually means a compatibility issue between the software DOS driver and the hardware.

The line:  Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v forces USB 2.0--are you sure your computer and external HDD is USB 2.0--both have to be USB 2.0 to work correctly.  If USB 1.x on one or both, the DOS driver will fail.  By removing the */e* switch, then the DOS USB driver will attempt both USB 1.x and USB 2.0.  Any luck with that?

Quote:
I used your guide word for word and it works.

So, now you do have access to your optical drive letter X: ?

Quote:
Usbaspi.sys

Which version?

Looks like the links below are *dead*!

v2.06, size=37,903, dated 11/26/2002

v2.15, size=39,093, dated 10/26/2003

v2.20, size=39,179, dated 11/07/2004

The only link I could find that's still working is for v2.27:  http://panasonic.co.jp/pcc/products/drive/archive/f2h/f2h_usb.exe

After clicking on the downloaded *.exe* file which extracts the enclosed files, you will find the *Usbaspi.sys* file in the *F2h* subdirectory.

IP Logged

kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2009 at 10:52am

I added usbaspi.sys and I deleted  the /e switch, it gets much farther bur still gets hung up on "Scanning USB Devices"

I tried it with an the older  v2.06 USBaspi.sys and the same thing happens, all the controllers are scanned, it looks like my device is last in the list and then it hangs at "Scanning USB Devices"

The device is a USB IOMEGA HDD80GB

My files are currently:

autoexec=

path=a:\;x:\
mouse.com
mscdex.exe /d:nightowl /l:x /m:16 /v
ghost.exe -ghostoncd

config.sys =

device=oakcdrom.sys /d:nightowl
Device=usbaspi.sys /v
Device=di1000dd.sys
lastdrive=z

I believe the X:\ part is still an issue but I cant get to that point now.

My image Directory has the following files in it (from the GUIDE):

autoexec.bat
command.com
config.sys
di1000dd.sys
io.sys
mouse.com
mscdex.exe
msdos.sys
oakcdrom.sys
usbaspi.sys

J

EDIT*
Just an FYI, here is the image contents that currently get me into ghost, let me browse my USB device, but fails once the push starts:

-aspi2dos.sys
-aspi4dos.sys
-aspi8dos.sys
-aspi8u2.sys
-btcdrom.sys
-btdosm.sys
-CDDVDIMG.BIN
-command.com
-config-sys
-flashpt.sys
-ghost.exe
-IBMIO.com
-IBMDOS.com
-inicd.sys
-mscdex.exe
-oakcdrom.sys
Autoexec =
@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+05:00
MOUSE.COM
CLS
LH \MSCDEX.EXE /D:cd1 /D:cd2 /D:cd3
echo Loading...
CD \GHOST

config.sys =

DEVICE = oakcdrom.sys /D:cd1
DEVICE = btdosm.sys
DEVICE = flashpt.sys
DEVICE = btcdrom.sys /D:cd2
DEVICE = aspi2dos.sys
DEVICE = aspi8dos.sys
DEVICE = aspi4dos.sys
DEVICE = aspi8u2.sys
DEVICE = inicd.sys /D:cd3
LASTDRIVE = Z

I have no idea where this boot disk came from but it get me the farthest on this Laptop

J

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 10:30am

@
kingbrodij

Quote:
EDIT*
Just an FYI, here is the image contents that currently get me into ghost, let me browse my USB device, but fails once the push starts:

Where is that image file coming from?  A bootable optical disc?

There are too many files listed for those to be in a standard 1.44 MB hidden boot sector on an optical disc!  So, if this is a bootable disc--then the boot sector must be a 2.88 MB or larger size!  This can be done if you have the correct tools in terms of creating the image file (WinImage), and the appropriate burning software that allows for larger boot sectors (full versions of Roxio or Nero--not crippled OEM versions).

I noticed in the list of files that *ghost.exe* is present!  Is this the *Ghost Enterprise, Version 7* that you mentioned in your reply #5 above?  Is this version 7.0 or 7.5--or....?  If you extract that *ghost.exe* file so it's on the HDD, but out of the image file, open a *command Window* where the *ghost.exe* is located, and type *ghost.exe -ver*, you will get the exact version listed for that program--what is that response?

Quote:

So, this is where you got that command line you mentioned in your reply #3 *edit* section?

Here's two references on Ghost command line switches: 

Switches: Alphabetical list of switches

Switches: Cloning

The *-bootcd* is a valid switch, but the *=\CDDVDIMG.BIN* does not show as being part of the syntax for that switch's function.

Quote:
-forceusb -force1394

I looked in the Corporate Ghost 7.0 and 7.5 User Guides and there is no mention of these switches being available--so these appear to be first available in Ghost 8.x!

Quote:
EDIT*
Just an FYI, here is the image contents that currently get me into ghost, let me browse my USB device, but fails once the push starts

Again, looking at the listed files, and the *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*--there does not appear to be a USB DOS driver present!  So, if you are able to access the external USB device in DOS--this has to be Ghost 8.x--or the BIOS of the laptop must be performing the USB access duties.  So, need to know if it is actually Ghost 8.x--if not, and your laptop is allowing for access--then there may be a conflict between the DOS USB drivers and BIOS drivers for USB--and causing Ghost to *hang* when attempting to scan for USB devices.

IP Logged

kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Reply #9 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 10:48am

Ok, part of the problem that you just helped me with is that I seem to be working with 2 different version. 

One version is:
Norton Ghost 2003 -build 775

The other is:
Symentec Ghost 11.0.1  -build 1533
This is the version that I can boot up with and see my USB device, I CAN still even push images to the USB device!  But I cannot PULL the .GHO file back! Everytime I try I get the a:\ghosterror.txt popup and cant even read it.

Seems like from here on out I should and will deal stricly with Version 11. 

Should I be able to apply the .GHO file with version 11 even if by some chance it was created with Ghsot 2003?

I have legacy USB enabled in the BIOS, maybe this is why there is a conflict?

I appreciate your help, thank god for CD-RWs

*EDIT
Integrity check on my .gho file fails with 2 seconds left.  Could this be why the pull doesnt start?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Jul 14th, 2009 at 12:12pm

@
kingbrodij

Quote:
I seem to be working with 2 different version

That can be a problem!

Quote:
Seems like from here on out I should and will deal stricly with Version 11. 

Should I be able to apply the .GHO file with version 11 even if by some chance it was created with Ghsot 2003?

That's a good plan--staying with v11.xx!

Yes--Ghost v11.xx should be able to work with *older* versions--it's the other way around that can be a problem!  (The operative word is *should*!)

Quote:
I have legacy USB enabled in the BIOS, maybe this is why there is a conflict?

I would try disabling that--you may not have mouse support if using a USB mouse--if you have a mouse pad on the laptop--that usually is using an internal *serial* port--so usually functions in DOS without USB support from the BIOS.  You can use the *Tab* key and the *Arrow* keys on the keyboard if you do not have mouse support.

Also, might want to try without the *-forceUSB* and *-force1394* switches--may have unexpected negative results:  Ghost Solution Suite v2.5 Implementation Guide, page # 527

Quote:
Everytime I try I get the a:\ghosterror.txt popup and cant even read it.

When you boot from an optical disc--the A: drive is a *virtual* drive and is *read only*--Ghost is trying to *write* the error text to the A: drive--can't do it!  You would have to have a FAT partition or floppy drive available to re-direct that output file to using the re-direct switch:  *-afile=filename*

Quote:
Replaces the default abort error log file name, Ghosterr.txt, with
the directory and file given in filename.

I'm not sure with USB floppy drives--never have used one--but it should be the B: drive if a USB floppy acts like a floppy drive on a desktop system and you have booted from an optical disc.

IP Logged

kingbrodij
N00b

I Love Radified!

New York

Reply #11 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 2:11pm

Got it!

Disable legacy usb in bios, use your guide with USB drivers and bam good to go!

Thanks a ton!!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Jul 16th, 2009 at 11:43pm

@
kingbrodij

Thanks for the report back. 

Always good to hear of a success!  You owe me a *beer* Smiley the next time you're in Olympia, WA!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print