Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Windows 7/Windows XP Pro Dual Boot problem (Read 22991 times)
ED
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2003 and Windows 7/Windows XP Pro Dual Boot problem
Nov 24th, 2009 at 6:40pm

Need help!
I have always used ghost 2003 with huge success in the past with single boot systems.  I might have even had success when I first tried setting up a dual boot with Win XP Pro 32 bit and Win Xp Pro 64  on a single disk drive.  But I now have failed trying to restore my current dual boot system of Win XP Pro 32 bit and Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit using backups that I though went successfully.

I have a single WD150 with a 65 GB partition where I installed Win XP PRO 32 bit OS.
I installed WIN 7 on a 74GB created extended partiion on the same drive.
When I boot up I always get the choice of which system to boot to OK.

When doing my first backups of the disk, I put in my trusty Ghost 2003 floppy in and did a partition to image of the "C"
partition.  Then I did a partition to image of the "D" partition
Note: I have a second large 1 TB disk that I use to store backups on and all my data files, ect.
Then I also made a disk to image and copied (so I thought) the entire WD150G disk that I thought would copy the entire drive, C and D partitions included.
All of these images copied OK to my Ghost file directory on my 1TB drive.

I had a problem today and I tried to restore each partition separately, which wound up getting a error message when I booted up.  I also tried restoring the entire disk image and that got the same error when I booted up also.
"Windows Boot Manager
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
1.Then suggestions about using you windows installation disk, restart computer
2. Choose language settings, then click next
3. Click repair your computer.

File \ntldr
status 0xc000000c
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Are there optional switches I should have been using when
I try to create an image of partitions  C and D separately or create an image of the entire disk (C & D partitions together?)

Does Ghost 2003 (floppy) work with dual boot Windows Xp and Windows 7?

Has anyone have experience on this or can anyone help me?

Thank you for reading through this.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2003 and Windows 7/Windows XP Pro Dual Boot problem
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2009 at 8:42pm

@
ED

ED wrote on Nov 24th, 2009 at 6:40pm:
File \ntldr
status 0xc000000c
The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Did you see this before or after a repair? Sometimes two repairs are needed to enable Win7 to boot. If you can get into Win7 you should be able to repair Win XP.

Edit... I just imaged a Win7 partition with Ghost 2003 and restored the image to another HD. The OS failed to boot and there was a Windows Boot Manager error. After a single repair from the Win7 DVD, Win7 booted.

IP Logged

ED
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2009 at 6:20am

The error message appeared after I restored  both partition images and also when I tried to restore the entire disk image

In each instance, it It seemed liked Ghost restored the images successfully

I boot the system, get to where you make a choice to select either Windows 7 or "An earlier version of Windows" (Windows XP PRO)

When I select either of these, then I immediately get the error message.

As I posted earlier, I have in the past always used my Ghost 2003 floppy successfully.  I made images Ok and restored images OK.  But then I didn't have the a dual boot with Win XP Pro on the C primary partition and Windows 7 on the D extended partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 1:34am

@
ED

Have you tried two repairs from the Win7 DVD? A second one is needed immediately after the first one to get you to the big menu which has Startup Repair.

IP Logged

ED
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 8:55am

No, I have not.

Am I going down the wrong path here? Or Does anyone think that by using the -ia, -ib,  or  -id switches would have helped? 

I just wish there was a product out there that would work for me that was as easy as the Ghost 2003.789 method.

There has to something out there, wheter it's Ghost or something else, that when you restore an image you don't have to do do "repairs" from a Windows install disk or have to use some boot repair 3rd party program.

Really no one should have to do all that.

I prefer to use something that works when your system fails to boot into windows, like the Ghost 2003.789 floppy or boot CD

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 12:26pm

@
ED

Ghost 2003 is over 6 years old. It is surprising it works at all with Vista and Win7. A repair is needed with most restores.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 3:43pm

@
Brian

I know you have worked with both Vista and Win7 (and as you know--I haven't  Wink !!!).

Is the Win7 boot issue the same as what occurred with Vista back when it first came out?  At that time we discovered a work-around using the BCDEDIT changes to Vista's boot information that seemed to resolve the issue and allow for continued use of Ghost 2003, and Corporate Ghost 7.5, 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2!

See this discussion:  Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista , especially starting here:  reply #70!

Can this same BCDEDIT modification *permanently* solve the issue while still using the older Ghost versions--or does Win7 have some different boot changes that make this work-around not usable?

Also, I assume that TeraByte's *Image for Windows* and *Image for DOS* (which are still being actively developed) should be compatible with Win7 in their latest versions.  And, *Image for DOS* will act very much in a similar fashion as DOS Ghost 2003!

@
ED

You should look into TeraByte's *Image for DOS* program if the above work-around is no longer a functional solution!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2009 at 4:35pm

@
NightOwl

I haven't tried the BCD Edits prior to creating an image. The BCD Edits went "out of fashion" when imaging software was improved so Vista images could be restored correctly. Personally, I'd just do a Vista/Win 7 repair. I think that's what Dan Goodell does with his Ghost 2003 restores. It only takes a few minutes.

Image for DOS (also IFW and IFL) works with Win7. I can't make it fail to restore a Win7 image.

IP Logged

ED
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Nov 27th, 2009 at 7:57pm

I'm still licking my wounds here. 
I would up doing this, although not logical ,but I did get it to work, half assed though.

I restored the disk from image (which should have restored my both C & D partitions.
When I booted up, got the OS selection part, then received that error message.
I then restored an "older" partition from image (C partition that has the WIN XP PRO OS )  that I made PRIOR to my Windows 7 install.
The system booted up straight into the Windows XP OS (C partition.
I Goggled around a post suggesting EasyBCD 1.7.2. program, which required me to install NET Framework 2.0 also.

I followed the post and I got windows 7 to work also.

Only problem is that the WIN XP is from an older backup image and the Windows 7 back up image is newer.

Probably if I tried to restore the disk from image, try the WIN7 install disk repair option I can see where that might help me.

I also found this link, but it requires some slow, carefull sifting through.
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html

I have built my own rigs for quite awhile , but honestly have never had to dig deep into "kingdom of booting".

There's an awfull amount to digest here, concerning booting.    The artical suggested a floppy version of GAG that could be of some use.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:05am

@
ED

Welcome to the *world of multi-booting*--as anything computers--there's information.....and, then there is *INFORMATION* to know in order to understand what's going on!

What do you want to do at this point?  I can see several ways to proceed depending on what you want to do...and are willing to do.  As you have noted, all this can get complicated.

I think you have the option of continuing to use Ghost 2003--but you will have to make a couple procedural changes in how you use Ghost 2003 in order to make it work properly.

And/or you can make some changes with *BCDEDIT* to the boot manager that gets installed by Win7 (or Vista) when you use Microsoft's way of *dual* or *multi-booting*.

And/or you can change how you *dual boot* from the Microsoft way to an alternative *multi-boot* setup that is more *Ghost friendly* when it comes time to restore the different OSs that you have on your system.

And/or you can invest in a newer imaging program that is aware of the changes that have occurred in the last 7-8 years in how Windows boots vs how it booted back in 2003!

So, you will have to decide which direction you want to go!

Quote:
I would up doing this, although not logical ,but I did get it to work, half assed though.

I restored the disk from image (which should have restored my both C & D partitions.
When I booted up, got the OS selection part, then received that error message.
I then restored an "older" partition from image (C partition that has the WIN XP PRO OS )  that I made PRIOR to my Windows 7 install.
The system booted up straight into the Windows XP OS (C partition.

That restore over-wrote the Win7 boot manager that gets placed on the C:\ partition along side the WinXP boot manager when you installed Win7--so, now the boot manager that's in place is the older (original) WinXP boot manager that is *unaware* of the presence of the Win7 OS--so, more than happy to boot to the WinXP OS.

Quote:
I Goggled around a post suggesting EasyBCD 1.7.2. program, which required me to install NET Framework 2.0 also.

I followed the post and I got windows 7 to work also.

It would be helpful to show a link to that procedure--it's always good to see what changes you made to one or both OSs while attempting to recover the multi-boot option(s).

Quote:
Only problem is that the WIN XP is from an older backup image and the Windows 7 back up image is newer.

Probably if I tried to restore the disk from image, try the WIN7 install disk repair option I can see where that might help me.

There's a good chance that might work--if you *repair* the broken multi-boot manager settings and where that boot manager *points* to the next boot files in the process will probably get you back to successful dual booting.

Quote:
I also found this link, but it requires some slow, carefull sifting through.
http://www.multibooters.co.uk/multiboot.html

Looks like a very good reference.  They reference another *multi-boot* site that we're fond of referencing here at Radified:  Understanding MultiBooting and Booting Windows from an Extended Partition by Dan Goodell

Quote:
There's an awfull amount to digest here, concerning booting.    The artical suggested a floppy version of GAG that could be of some use.

Having the ability to boot to your OS from a floppy or optical disc if something goes wrong with the boot files adds an additional layer of comfort should something go wrong.

WinXP has an emergency boot floppy option:  How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP.  But, technically that does not apply to a system that has *mulit-booting* installed--but, it could probably be used to at least start the WinXP OS only--just won't get the menu option to start Win7!

I'm running out of room, so I'm going to stop this here, and continue in the next post.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2009 at 10:34am

@
ED

Quote:

Do you still have your most recent Ghost image files that you made for the C:\ and D:\ partitions and the *whole disk* image files made after you had Win7 and dual booting working okay?  If so, you can probably *fix* the above problem fairly easily.

The problem that has occurred when using Ghost 2003 for the restore is Ghost's default behavior of clearing the HDD disk ID.  That disk ID is used by Win7's boot manager to create a signature so the boot manager knows it's booting from the correct HDD and to the correct OS.  The boot manager holds a copy of that information (that's what the *BCDEDIT* information mentioned in other posts is all about), and the Win7 registry holds a copy--they have to match, and each time you boot, the boot manager checks to see if they are the same--if they don't, you get the boot failure you have been getting.

Currently, the disk ID is new compared to what it was when you made the above image files.  It was changed the last time you did the restore of your *old WinXP* that was pre-Win7 installation--i.e. Ghost default behavior is to *zero* the disk ID and let the system reset the ID--not a problem if you use a pre-Win7 or Vista type boot manager.  Your *repair* efforts since then has told Win7 to *reset* the stored data so the current disk ID matches the Win7 registry data--so you have your dual boot back again.

Your Ghost image files should have the *old* disk ID stored in them!  When you created the images, that disk ID should have been included in the image file.  You should be able to restore that disk ID by running Ghost 2003 in a *non-default* manner--you need to use the Ghost command line switch *-fdsp*--that stands for *force disk signature preserve*--so now Ghost will restore the saved disk ID that was present when the image file was created.

But, you can not restore just the C:\ image file at this point!  If you do that, then the disk ID will be back to that original *old* disk ID, but your current Win7 on your D:\ will have the now new current disk ID saved to its registry--so there will be a mis-match--and booting will again fail!  So, you have to use your *whole disk* image and restore *both* the partitions--because when the D:\ is restored, it will be restoring the registry data that was in place at the time of the image creation--and so it will match the disk ID that was stored as well.  (This is one of the negatives about using the Microsoft way of multi-booting--you have to backup and restore both partitions in order to correct a boot problem--because the boot process depends on files contained in the two partitions--not just the one or the other!)

So, instead of starting Ghost with *ghost.exe* on the command line, you need to start it this way:

Quote:
ghost.exe -fdsp

(there is a space between *ghost.exe* and *-fdsp*.)

Restore the *whole disk* image file, and you should be up and running with the system back to the way it was at the time you created those images--both the WinXP and Win7 will be *current* and the boot menu should work as before!

I have highlighted *should*--it's hard to *guarantee* how thing will actually turn out--there are so many systems and variables out there--but the worst that should happen (  Wink ), based on what we know so far, is you'll be back to where you were before--and you now know how to recover at least to the point you are now based on what you have already done!

The other possibility is to simply do the whole disk restore, and then use the Win7 installation CD to do a repair of the boot files--you and Brian have already mentioned this as an option in prior posts!

As I said in the previous post:

Quote:
... you will have to decide which direction you want to go!

Let us know what you decide--and how things go!

IP Logged

ED
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2009 at 2:14pm

Thanks to all who have posted!!
This "problem" is currently on the back burner because of the Thanksgiving holidays, mandatory family visits  and such.  Also, the last minute the other day, my wife and I got somehow got involved with getting a new LCD HD tv for my son, replacing the old tube type TV,  in the rec area of the basement.  This somehow required us going to Ikea and buying a new TV stand.  Then going to Best Buy the other day and somehow lucking out and buying the last Samsung TV that I had chsen to get him. Then somehow that required us to go to
Ikea the next day and buying a new cabinet for CD storage.

But I appreciate every one's input and since I do keep all my data files and backups on a separate hard drive (WD 1 TB "E", I well may try the various suggestions.  At leat I know I can always get back to where I am  now..

IP Logged

plainolguy
Gnarly

What a mess!

I`m out there!

Reply #12 - Dec 20th, 2009 at 8:32pm

ED:
If you get back here after the holidays, I can tell you GAG is THE best multibooter for guys (or girls) whose technical acumen is not expert.  I keep my boot selections on floppy.  However, one can if wished, put preferences on the hard drive itself.   I don`t know what the latest GAG download is since I have used what I downloaded successfully a year or more ago.  I hear GRUB is a good bootloader that is much more flexible and customizible, but I really don`t need all that.  Just something to pick between two instances of XP.  The GAG instructions are easy to follow and to my knowledge it will not mess anything up which helps when you stumble through most things computer like I do.
Hope this helps

Aaaaaaaarrrggghhhhh!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #13 - Dec 27th, 2009 at 4:17pm

@
ED

After seeing *plainolguy's* posting and re-reading this thread--I had time to think about what I posted in my reply # 10 above.

Some additional thoughts--I suspect the *-fdsp* switch will preserve the disk ID that is currently on your HDD--so the Ghost procedure I suggested will probably fail because it will not put back the original disk ID that was present when you created those images!  (Had you used that switch from the beginning when you did the restore so the disk ID didn't get *zeroed*, then everything probably would have gone fine!)

If you want to test things, I'm guessing you would have to have a *new* HDD that has never had a disk ID placed on it in order to get the Ghost restore to put that previous disk ID on the restored HDD.  Or, you could zero out the absolute sector zero on a test HDD (that makes a previously used HDD *appear* to be a factory fresh HDD out of the box!) to see if that allows for a proper restoration of the disk ID.

It would be *informative* to know if using a new HDD or a zeroed HDD would allow for the restoration of the correct disk ID so the restore would function properly without a *repair* procedure--also, it may be necessary to know ahead of time what the disk ID is, use a Master Boot Record (MBR) utility to edit the MBR and manually reset the disk ID to that previous value--so anyone with spare time and HDDs--let us know what happens if you try this!

If someone needs more information, I can direct you to MBR utilities that would allow you to see the disk ID, and also edit the disk ID to restore it manually to test out the above--that is if the Ghost restore will not reset the disk ID for you if you use the *-fdsp* switch on a new and/or zeroed HDD!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print