Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
From WinTel PC: can Ghost image iMac IDE drive to new drive? (Read 2191 times)
CajunWon
N00b

I Love Radified!

Raleigh NC USA

From WinTel PC: can Ghost image iMac IDE drive to new drive?
Dec 30th, 2009 at 12:01pm

Want to upgrade iMac IDE drive to larger IDE Drive.
Will Ghost image to the new drive by connecting these IDE drives to my PC? 
I will my Boot CD which has Ghost 10 exe.  I have an IDE card which I use to connect PC drive pairs for imaging.
Mac internals are a mystery to me.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: From WinTel PC: can Ghost image iMac IDE drive to new drive?
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 11:59am

@
CajunWon

Quote:
Want to upgrade iMac IDE drive to larger IDE Drive.

Obviously, we don't have too may iMac users who visit here!

Quote:
Will Ghost image to the new drive by connecting these IDE drives to my PC?

I'm sure Ghost is not specifically iMac OS aware--so you can't use the various procedures that look at the partitioning of the HDD and make adjustments for you as you go--for instance, you will not be able to have Ghost re-size the destination partition for you!

You would have to use a *raw* data (sector by sector) cloning procedure--which means exactly what's on the source HDD will be transferred to the destination HDD--so the size will be exactly the same on the destination HDD, and any additional space will be *unallocated*.  You could then create additional partitions on the destination HDD using that unallocated space.

Ghost 10 has a *copy HDD* function, but I'm not sure it is able to do a sector by sector raw data transfer.  You would have to experiment to see if it works!  I don't know how the Master Boot Track on a Mac HDD compares to that of a Windows based HDD--so I can't advise you if you need to select to transfer the MBR in the copy drive process.  But, you would probably need to disable the *Smart Sector* copying option.

You should review the information in the Ghost 10 User Guide, chapter 12:   Ghost 10 User Guide, page 115

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print