Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble with Ghost 2003 involving Boot.ini---newbie (Read 10400 times)
Full Monte
N00b

I Love Radified!

Trouble with Ghost 2003 involving Boot.ini---newbie
Jan 2nd, 2010 at 1:14pm

Hello,
I'm a newbie to this cloning thing and have bought many versions of Ghost without ever having success with it.
I've recently  read the Ratified Guide several times and thought I'd give it a try.  I run XP.  Here is what I did:

-Created a new partition on slave disk and formatted it in FAT32.
-Used a Boot Floppy in Drive A to boot from DOS.  Ran Ghost 2003 in DOS mode.  Made an image of C:drive on the new partition on the slave disk.
-put in a replacement disk drive where the master disk drive used to be.
-attempted to restore the image from the slave partition to the new disk drive.
-at the end of the restoration process, I got a message that said "Unable to complete update of boot.ini file--too many partitions (593).

I am not sure what to do next.  I am not smart about working in DOS.  Thanks for any helpful suggestions!

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Trouble with Ghost 2003 involving Boot.ini---newbie
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2010 at 10:27am

@
Full Monte

Quote:
"Unable to complete update of boot.ini file--too many partitions (593)

I have seen similar messages, and Ghost 2003 does attempt to update *boot.ini* when one restores an image file to a new HDD--but, I'm not sure exactly what setup triggers that error message.

With that error message--did you attempt to boot from that new HDD, and did you boot successfully?  Any error messages?

Quote:
-Used a Boot Floppy in Drive A to boot from DOS.  Ran Ghost 2003 in DOS mode.  Made an image of C:drive on the new partition on the slave disk.

So, depending on the user, making an *image* can mean a number of different things--so let's be sure what you did--

1.  did you make a Ghost image file (xxxx.gho) and save it to the slave drive (i.e. *Local > Partition > To Image*)?

2.  or, did you do a direct cloning from partition to partition (i.e. *Local > Partition > To Partition*)?

What is the layout of the original drive--how many partitions--and do you know the physical order of the partitions--i.e. which one is physically first, second, etc.  PartitionMagic will show the *physical* layout in a graphical display.  Some Master Boot Record utilities will show the layout in a text based listing.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Full Monte
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 11:41am

NightOwl wrote on Jan 6th, 2010 at 10:27am:
@
Full Monte

Quote:
"Unable to complete update of boot.ini file--too many partitions (593)

I have seen similar messages, and Ghost 2003 does attempt to update *boot.ini* when one restores an image file to a new HDD--but, I'm not sure exactly what setup triggers that error message.

With that error message--did you attempt to boot from that new HDD, and did you boot successfully?  Any error messages?

Answer: I was not able to boot from the new HDD...it would not boot.  Message was "Operating System not found".

Quote:

So, depending on the user, making an *image* can mean a number of different things--so let's be sure what you did--

1.  did you make a Ghost image file (xxxx.gho) and save it to the slave drive (i.e. *Local > Partition > To Image*)?

Answer: Yes, this is what I did.  I put the image on a partition on the original slave disk drive and then restored it to the new master drive.

2.  or, did you do a direct cloning from partition to partition (i.e. *Local > Partition > To Partition*)?

What is the layout of the original drive--how many partitions--and do you know the physical order of the partitions--i.e. which one is physically first, second, etc.  PartitionMagic will show the *physical* layout in a graphical display.  Some Master Boot Record utilities will show the layout in a text based listing.

Answer: I am attaching a txt file  with the information from the Partition Magic screen.  This is a bit much for me to explain without sending it to you.

Thank you very much for your help!  I am trying to learn this as I think it would be a valuable tool.  But it's not easy for me....I'm not a full-fledged "techie"

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Jan 14th, 2010 at 12:47pm

@
Full Monte

I have looked at the PartitionMagic report--your system does not appear to be *complicated* as far as the partition layout is concerned--your primary HDD has a Primary boot partition, and a second logical data partition. 

But, your second drive has errors that should eventually be corrected, if possible--something appears to have gone wrong during the partitioning of that drive:

Quote:
Disk Geometry Information for Disk 2:    30401 Cylinders,  255 Heads,  63 Sectors/Track
Error #100: Partition table contains two EPBR chains.

and

Disk 2, G:

Warning: EPBR partition starting at 385993755 is without logical partition.
               EPBR        Log      49,999.2      16,065  1 385,993,755 102,398,310
Warning #113: EPBR partition starting at 385993755 overlaps previous EPBR partition.
               NTFS        Log      49,999.1 385,993,755  0 385,993,818 102,398,247

But, that's a separate issue and I don't think it's related to the current topic--so you can start a separate thread for that if you need to later.

But, back to your current problem with Ghost 2003 and *boot.ini*:

*boot.ini* is a text file and can be opened with NotePad--it is in the main root directory of your C:\ drive.  Open it with NotePad, and copy and paste the contents to a followup post here on the forum. 

We need to look at the *boot.ini* that's on your original *source* HDD--I presume you have put that back in your system and you are using that now--correct?

And, we need to look at what has been placed on your *destination* HDD by the Ghost restore procedure--i.e. the new HDD that you attempted to restore the image to.  You can do that a couple different ways: 

a.  you could install that destination HDD in place of the slave HDD long enough to access the root directory of that HDD so you can make a copy of the *boot.ini* file in its root directory so you can post its contents here--put a copy in a sub-directory or different partition from your OS boot drive (i.e. C:\).  You don't want to accidentally over-write your existing good *boot.ini* file in your root directory of C:\  !

b.  or, you can put the destination HDD in place of the original source HDD, boot to DOS, and use this program in DOS:  TeraByte Unlimited Freeware--See *EditBini*.  You could practice on your system with the original source HDD in place to see how the program works.  It will show you the contents of you *boot.ini* file that it finds in the boot HDD.  The program will also allow you to edit the *boot.ini* file if you chose to!

You could boot from the same boot floppy that you used for Ghost 2003, place *EditBini.exe* on a second floppy--if Ghost started automatically, exit back to the DOS A:\ prompt, put the second floppy into the floppy drive and run the *editbini.exe* program.

If you used NotePad on your original HDD's *boot.ini*, you could print that out so you have a copy to compare to what the *editbini.exe* program reports when you look at the *boot.ini* file on that destination drive--so you do not have to write everything down--just note where there are differences!

Again, report the results here--*boot.ini* from your destination HDD.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Full Monte
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 11:24pm

Thank you!  I geeked around awhile looking in various sections of the c:\ drive.  Didn't see boot.ini anywhere.  Then, in notepad, I opened the file (without knowing exactly where it was) and got this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

Is this what you are looking for?  I will continue looking.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:55am

@
Full Monte

Quote:
Is this what you are looking for?

Yes!

You must have the default settings for Windows Explorer still set to not show *system* and *hidden* files.

Here's what you need to do to set Windows Explorer folder options to show all files--

Open Windows Explorer, select menu item *Tools/Folder Options...*

Once in *Folder Options*, click on the *View* tab, change the following settings for these entries:

--Put a *check* in the box for:  *Display the contents of system folders*

--Under *Hidden files and folders*, click on the radio button *Show hidden files and folders*

--Un-check the box for:  *Hide extensions for known file types*

--Un-check the box for:  *Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)*

I click on *Apply to All Folders*, and if needed *Apply*, and finally *OK*.  Now, all files should be visible when using Windows Explorer.

Now, we need to see what the *boot.ini* is on the *destination* drive you imaged to....

IP Logged

Full Monte
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 10:41am

Sorry about my silence, NightOwl.  I appreciate all your work in showing me how to do this.  It just doesn't work for me.  I can't seem to open the boot.ini to any level of detail beyond what I already gave you.  I'm very frustrated with this.  I don't give up easily, but this one seems to have me whipped!

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2010 at 1:16pm

Reply #4 is the boot.ini file as NightOwl stated.  What needs to be done is to compare the boot.ini of the source (drive from which image was created) to the boot.ini of the destination (drive to which image was restored).  The source and destination boot.ini files should be the same.

Note it is unnecessary to create a separate partition to save an image to, and all need be done is save the image to existing drive or folder on existing drive.  Are you sure you didn't backup the old C drive using the "drive to partition" option in Ghost and then use the "partition to drive" option to restore in Ghost?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2010 at 10:51am

@
Full Monte

Quote:
It just doesn't work for me.  I can't seem to open the boot.ini to any level of detail beyond what I already gave you.  I'm very frustrated with this.

I'm really not trying to make this harder than it is--what have I said, or not said, that's giving you trouble--what have you attempted that has not worked for you....

Happy to continue to try and help!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print