Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will a complete restore of computer eliminate a virus? (Read 3182 times)
Don Schneider
Dude

I Love Radified!

Will a complete restore of computer eliminate a virus?
Jan 21st, 2010 at 2:59pm

I have an XP PC with a virus that has caused IE and Firefox  inoperable.  I uninstalled IE7 and was able to use IE6 for a while, but was not able to install IE8.  Will a complete restore using Ghost 12 remove the virus?  The problem showed when I installed Trend Micro Pro over the existing Trend Micro program.

If it will what are the procedure to follow?

Thanks, Don Undecided

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Will a complete restore of computer eliminate a virus?
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 1:18am

@
Don Schneider

Quote:
The problem showed when I installed Trend Micro Pro over the existing Trend Micro program.

Was the Tend Micro Pro program a licensed version...or cracked, pirated version?

Base on what you have said, sounds more like a bad outcome from an attempted upgrade to your program rather than a virus, but...

Restoring a previous Ghost backup of your OS partition made prior to your *Pro* install should take you back to how things were at the moment you made that backup.

To restore your OS partition image, you need to boot from the Ghost 12 installation disc to the Recovery Environment--and use Ghost from there to restore the backup image to the OS partition.

Be very careful and sure of yourself that you are selecting the correct steps--unlike when you create an image for backup--that has no consequences if it goes wrong--now you are over-writing your OS partition--you don't want to select the wrong partition or image file!!!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Don Schneider
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Jan 22nd, 2010 at 12:48pm

Nightowl, thanks for your help.

Was the Tend Micro Pro program a licensed version...or cracked, pirated version?

It was a licensed version.

Why would the installation of the new virus protection program prevent me from opening IE8 and installing it?

Don Lips Sealed

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 12:59pm

@
Don Schneider

Quote:
Why would the installation of the new virus protection program prevent me from opening IE8 and installing it?

Who knows!  There are so many hardware and software combinations out there, that it's hard to know what will make things go wrong!

Even Microsoft's monthly Windows updates can make a system non-bootable if there is some small detail they overlooked for a particular combination of hardware and software!

As a Ghost user--I assume that all major program updates--Windows or other installed programs--may go wrong!!!  I always create an OS backup before I do a major program install or update so that I can recover if anything is amiss afterwards.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print