Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print
Ghosting Triple Win Boot Configurations (Read 120084 times)
bill
Radmeister

In retrospect, I should've
thought that through

Burbank, CA

Re: Ghosting Triple Win Boot Configurations
Reply #180 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:34pm

Brian wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:31pm:
f you use Image Sets, the new image over-writes the old 

Actually, that's perfect for my needs!  And how I prefer to maintain my backups, except in some rather specific occasions, and for those...

Brian wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:31pm:
rename the old image in Windows prior to running the second Image Set. 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #181 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:36pm

Bill, you have been easy to work with. No-one else has lasted the distance.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #182 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:41pm

Brian wrote on Apr 3rd, 2010 at 12:36pm:
In Partition Work, select the partition you want backed up. Click Image, Create Image in the dialog box, OK. Select the target partition that will contain the backup. Click Paste. Double click a folder, name the backup, OK. 4 GB. OK. Select validate if you want it.

Okay, running each partition now.  Starting the first one. 

I tell ya, the more I use it, the more I love this app, Brian.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #183 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:43pm

Same here.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #184 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:44pm

Brian wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 3:36pm:
No-one else has lasted the distance. 

Can't triumphantly cross the finish line unless you run the entire race.

Smiley

And thank YOU, sir - for walking me through this all...

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #185 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:03pm

Regarding the .img files I'm creating:

I didn't prepare my storage drive first (creating a back up folder and all), so I am just saving my .img files to my Storage drive, and figured once done I could boot into one of my OSs and create a folder for these backups, and then move the .img files to that folder.

Doing that (moving the files externally to BING) won't cause me any heartaches in BING (I know Ghost would throw a fatal warning, and I'd have to delete the backup job and the image was rendered un-usable)?

Gut feeling says that should be fine, but wanted to check with you first.  I"m at the point now, I don't want to do any more destructive damage to my OSs, all this reinstallation work, after 4 rounds of starting from scratch - is really really getting old.  :)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #186 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:08pm

Moving and renaming the .img files is fine. Will you eventually have your backups on another HD? Just in case your current HD fails?

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #187 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:09pm

Yeah... actually I'll probably store them on a network drive I have. 

This machine I'm using is a laptop, so I don't anticipate adding a hdd to it.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #188 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Wow, this thread has doubled in size since I last checked it.  Internet connectivity is infrequent for me this week--it's Spring Break week here, and I'm away in Oregon for several days.  But to tie up a few loose ends . . .

Way back in reply #88, NightOwl wrote: Yes.  I haven't tried it that way myself, but any way you can get to regedit is sufficient.

If you're not multibooting, you can also remove the HDD, put it in an external case, and edit it from another working system.

Yes.

That's correct, but I didn't mention it (in reply #84) because it's not relevant to the task.  The hive you are editing isn't of consequence to the active OS (the one you're editing from), so it doesn't matter under which branch you temporarily put it.

I was addressing bill's particular situation, in which he knew XP had been on E:, needed to stay E:, and he knew there was no C:.  If it failed to boot because it reassigned drive letters, chances are almost certainly E: would have changed to C:.

FTR, a footnote here is XP needs to have gone through the rediscovery process.  If you are restoring the image to a different location, you might predict XP will end up reassigning E:, but you can't skip ahead--you still have to let it try to boot first.  You can't edit the registry value until XP has given you something to edit.  You see all that stuff following the "\DosDevices\C:" name in the registry?  You don't have that until XP has gone through the discovery process.  Let XP derive that part first, then afterward change the name of the registry value.

(BTW: this rediscovery process will generate a "Found new hardware" balloon in XP.)

Correct.  Suppose you had an OS, DVD, and data partition that had been E:, D:, and G:, respectively.  If everything got reassigned, the data partition would become E:.  In that case, you'd be doing two edits--one to change "\DosDevices\E:" to G:, and one to change C: to E:.  (Note XP should recognize the DVD is the same by its GUID, so it would keep D: as its drive letter.)

Well, that's part of why this task shouldn't be routinely recommended for the common user.

But for the techie, it's not really that hard.  For background, see my page on how XP remembers drive letters.

In my illustration in reply 84, I was aware beforehand that the XP disk had a DiskID of "8888-8888".  There was only one partition on the HDD, so there should be only one "88 88 88 88" DosDevices entry.

If there had been more than one partition on the HDD, I could have gone further.  I knew the XP partition started at LBA 63, so double that and convert to hex, and I could have predicted the DosDevices string should start with "88 88 88 88 00 7E 00 00 00".

Aside: On my own systems I have a habit of manually setting the DiskID to something useful to help me keep track of which HDD belongs where.  I choose some four-character ascii string that is meaningful, such as "6823" for my daughter's HP-DV6823 or "R-40" for my IBM R40 laptop.  I set this as the DiskID with a disk editor (ala, de.exe from DOS or SecEdit from Windows).  Either of those utilities let me enter ascii (eg, "R-40") in the right pane and it automatically shows up as hex ("52 3D 34 30") in the left pane.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #189 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:14pm

I'm just playing with Image Sets on my test computer. You can run the Set from BING or Windows. From Windows it reboots into BING for the imaging. I have 5 partitions (small) in the one Set. BING just flashes through them. You can have different Sets depending on which combination of partitions you would like to image.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #190 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:21pm

Brian wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:14pm:
You can run the Set from BING or Windows

How do I run from Windows?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #191 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:23pm

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=257

Don't forget to open Settings in BING and tick BootNow Support.

IP Logged

bill
Radmeister

thought that through

Burbank, CA

Reply #192 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:25pm

Sweeeeeet!!!!!

Gold star for you!  :)

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #193 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Brian wrote: bill wrote: bill is probably referring to this note.  Bear in mind that was written back when an OS image could still fit on a DVD!

Yet, I still transfer old images to DVDs for archiving.  Like bill and Brian, I store recent images on a separate partition on an internal HDD for easy access.  When I create a new image, however, I transfer the prior image off the internal HDD to DVD(s) and store them away.  They're not as convenient to get to, but OTOH I should rarely ever need to restore from one of those old images.  DVD blanks are inexpensive, and I'll still have the image in case something happens to the copy on the internal HDD.

Aside: with Ghost 2003 I use the "-split=1440" switch to split images into manageable pieces for eventual offloading to DVDs.  Three segments will comfortably fit on a single DVD.  1440MB accounts for variations in the size of some brands of DVDR disks, and 1440 is a size I can easily remember, being burned into my brain from olden days as the size (in KB) of a 3.5" floppy.  1440 also leaves a bit of room to also drop a backup of the MBR on the DVD and a small text file reminding me when and what the image includes.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #194 - Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Dan Goodell wrote on Apr 4th, 2010 at 4:13pm:
I set this as the DiskID with a disk editor

Dan, I like to do this in BING from the View MBR, Edit Sig choice.

Sure is a lot of fun.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 
Send Topic Print