Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Windows 7 and SRP (Read 17630 times)
lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Windows 7 and SRP
Apr 6th, 2010 at 3:28pm

On some other posts, Brian talks about the SRP and also comments it can be removed.  I am building a new system and installing Win 7.  Is there a way to prevent the SRP?  Any advantages or disadvantages?  How does Ghost handle the backups with or without the SRP.  With the SRP, is this two separate partitions to backup and restore?  Does Ghost 15 do this automatically for Win 7?  Even though Ghost 12 supposidly doesn't support Win 7, if I were to try it, how would it handle the SRP.

Thanks,

LWolff123

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Windows 7 and SRP
Reply #1 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 3:44pm

@
lwolff123

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1257809610/30#30

So, unless you are using BitLocker don't make life harder by having a SRP. You don't get a SRP if you install Win7 into a partition created prior to running the Win7 install. During the Win7 setup, click Advanced and format the partition. Win7 won't install to a NTFS partition formatted by Acronis Disk Director and I'm not sure about PM but letting Win7 do the formating fixes this problem. You can create your partitions with these apps, just let Win7 format them again.

Win7 will install into a cylinder aligned or a 2048 sector aligned partition. Your choice.

Any image/restore app is easier to use if there isn't a SRP. There is only one partition to backup and restore, not two. But if you do have a SRP, Ghost works well with the partition. Just remember, the SRP is the System, Active partition. When restoring, don't choose Set Active for Win7 if you have a SRP.

I doubt Ghost 12 will install in Win7.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Apr 6th, 2010 at 8:54pm

You can create the Win7 partition during the setup if you have a non partitioned HD. A 100 MB SRP will be created as well. Delete the SRP before you click Next in the Setup and you will be OK. There will only be the Win7 partition on your HD.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 7:34am

Lwolff123, FYI -- many individuals have chosen to use SRP as part of malware defense -- e.g., see AppLocker: IT's First Security Panacea?.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 10:40am

Thanks guys for the infomation.  One more question - I am assuming if you have an SRP, it is not static and must be backed up as a pair with the Win 7 system each time?

Thanks again,

LWolff123

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 3:26pm

One backup of the SRP is enough. If you were to alter partitions on that HD, I'd backup the SRP again.

If your Win7 gets corrupted and you decide to restore the Win 7 image, the SRP image doesn't need to be restored. If you upgrade to a new HD, both images need to be restored.

IP Logged

lwolff123
Gnarly

Los Angeles

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2010 at 3:49pm

Thanks Brian.  As usual, you alway have the answer.

LWolff123

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2010 at 8:15pm

The latest guide from TeraByte Unlimited on how to remove the SRP. With or without using BING.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=409

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #8 - May 21st, 2010 at 1:07am

@
Brian

Nice procedure outline!

Question--steps 8 and 9 in Part 1 refer to copying files from the *Vista (booting) partition*--I assume that's an editing error and should say *Win7 SRP* or *Win7 (booting) partition*--yes???????

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2010 at 1:27am

@
NightOwl

I did mention that typo to TeraByte Support but it hasn't been changed yet. Glad you saw it too.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2010 at 1:40am

Here is another good guide....

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=411

"BOOTMGR is missing" Error When Attempting to Boot into Windows

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print