Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need information about Ghost (Read 2515 times)
Robert Carter
Ex Member

Need information about Ghost
Apr 8th, 2010 at 10:56pm

Let me tell you what I want to do. I need to know what version of Ghost I need and if it will perform what I need. I load Dell GX240, GX260, GX270, and GX 280 dell boxes for work. We currently just load the image, then load several diffferent freeware apps. )OPenoffice, Firefox, etc. I would like to create an image for each, load onto a external drive. Then load ghost on the machine and load the image on the hard drive from the external drive. We will be using both SATA and IDE hard drives. Will ghost do this and what version will I need? PS, how difficult will it be to setup. We loaded ghost images in school off the network. But ghost was running on the server. Kiss

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Need information about Ghost
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2010 at 12:54am

@
Robert Carter

Welcome to Radified forums.

Quote:
We currently just load the image,

Well, what imaging program are you currently using?  What's not working with that?

Quote:
then load several diffferent freeware apps. )OPenoffice, Firefox, etc. I would like to create an image for each, load onto a external drive.

So, are you saying you want to add several different freeware apps to the current system(s), and then re-image them for distribution (deployment) to other systems?  With Ghost, this usually involves creating the base system with OS and all added apps.  Then you *SysPrep* that source base system--these makes the system ready to be deployed to other systems which probably will not have the exact same hardware as the source--when you boot the first time, the system will go through the needed *discovery* phase so the proper hardware and software drivers are set up for the new system.  You image that base system and then deploy (restore) it to the various additional systems.

If you are going to make individual system images that are simply restored to the same machine the image came from--then any version of Ghost could probably work!

Quote:
Then load ghost on the machine and load the image on the hard drive from the external drive.

You can create boot floppies, optical media--or if the systems support it, bootable external USB drives that will load Ghost and allow for deploying (restoring) the base image to whatever system you are booted to.

Quote:
We loaded ghost images in school off the network. But ghost was running on the server.

That would be another alternative to what you are suggesting above.

Quote:
We will be using both SATA and IDE hard drives. Will ghost do this and what version will I need?

Well, based on what you have said, I'd say you need the Corporate version of Ghost--Ghost Solution Suite v2.5 is the current version.  It can do everything you want.  *SysPrep* is Microsoft software--may actually be free--I'm not sure about that.

Quote:
PS, how difficult will it be to setup.

If you are familiar with everything I have mentioned above--then fairly easy!  If you are not sure what I'm talking about--then you have a steep learning curve to get to where you want to be!

To be legal, you would need a separate license for each machine, or a corporate site license to cover as many machines as you plan on using Ghost on!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print