Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 / sata drives and usb only connections (Read 8399 times)
niel4more
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chesterfield, MO

Ghost 2003 / sata drives and usb only connections
Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:29pm

My system crashed and luckily I have a ghost copy on a second sata drive already intalled in my computer..

Problem is i can't seem to create a boot disk that works. I have the .793 build, usb only mouse/key board connections, an ide floppy drive and the sata hard drive. I get to a greyed out ghost interface screen that never fully loads.

I even loaded a new copy of XP on the drive, then ghost 2003 and tried the restore from in windows that would not work and then I got stuck in the ghost virtual partition circle.

So, what is the secret to creating the right boot disc/procedure?

Thanks for any help.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2003 / sata drives and usb only connections
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010 at 8:40pm

@
niel4more

Does this help?

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1140898135

Do you have a Ghost 9 or 10 CD? You could use the included legacy restore (ghost32.exe) which gets around the DOS/SATA/USB issues.

IP Logged

niel4more
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chesterfield, MO

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 8:12am

I'll try the ghost 9 / 10 option and report back.......I did not know you could recapture ghost 2003 images with these versions.

Do I do it from inside windows or use them to make a new boot disc?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:45am

@
niel4more

Quote:
Do I do it from inside windows or use them to make a new boot disc?

Ghost 9 and 10--you use the installation CD to boot to the Ghost Recovery Environment--there you look for the utility to restore *Legacy Ghost Image Files*.

The benefit of Ghost 10, it actually will allow you to create legacy Ghost image files of your HDD as well as restore them--Ghost 9 will only restore existing image files.

Quote:
Problem is i can't seem to create a boot disk that works. I have the .793 build, usb only mouse/key board connections

You can use Ghost 2003 in DOS without a serial mouse--using keyboard arrow keys and the TAB key--but, I think Ghost checks for a serial keyboard and if not found, you get a boot failure.  If you're using a laptop--I think the keyboard and the touch pad are presented to the system as serial connections--but an external USB mouse would not be recognized--but, if you loaded a DOS mouse program, the touchpad would function for Ghost (this may not apply to all laptops!).

The program on Ghost 9 or 10 is called *RESTOREGHOST.EXE*--it is the *ghost32.exe* that is available on with Corp Ghost 8.x onward--it has to be run from within a Windows based environment, and when run, the title bar say its *Ghost32* and Ghost 10 shows it as version Ghost 8.2.

So, you can run it from the Ghost Recovery Environment (which is version of WinPE), or if you are a WinPE expert--it could be run from a booted version of WinPE, or if you're a BartPE user, *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* can be run from a boot to the BartPE environment.  Also, some folks create a separate primary partition on their HDD on which they load a WinOS that can be booted independently of another Windows primary OS partition--and you could then run *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* form that booted OS--you will see the other Windows partition (i.e. the non-booted to partition--your destination partition) in the list of partitions--and you can restore your previous image file to that destination--you then change the boot partition back to the one you just restored, and you should have that OS back again. 

But, you can not use Ghost32 to restore an OS image to the active OS partition that you are currently booted from--you would be attempting to over-write the OS that you are running Ghost32 from--it would *kill* the program!  You don't have those issues when booted to the Ghost Recovery Environment, WinPE, or BartPE--because they are loaded in RAM--so you are not over-writing the partition from which you are running the Ghost32 program from.

Also, you could possibly transfer your image file to another system that has a running WinOS, hook up your destination HDD to that system and then run *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* on that system and restore the image to that destination HDD--you can run *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* from any WinOS system simply by transferring the file to that system and clicking on it (you don't have to actually transfer the *RESTOREGHOST.EXE* file--you can simply but the Ghost 10 installation CD in your optical drive, find the file on the disc, and click on it--it will load and run from there as well!

Hope this helps and gives you options that make sense to you!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 4:53pm

niel4more wrote on Apr 30th, 2010 at 8:12am:
I did not know you could recapture ghost 2003 images with these versions.

I'm very interested to hear what happens.

IP Logged

niel4more
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chesterfield, MO

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2010 at 9:07pm

I ended up, by accident getting this done very easily.

I was downloading a copy of ghost 10 and while I was waiting......

The only boot disk I did not try from the ghost 2003 console was a standard ghost boot disk WITH USB Peer to Peer support. (obviously, I have another functioning computer)This combination worked perfectly from the 2 disk set that I made. Both my usb mouse and keyboard worked and ghost loaded up right away.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - May 1st, 2010 at 12:03pm

@
niel4more

Quote:
The only boot disk I did not try from the ghost 2003 console was a standard ghost boot disk WITH USB Peer to Peer support. (obviously, I have another functioning computer)This combination worked perfectly from the 2 disk set that I made. Both my usb mouse and keyboard worked and ghost loaded up right away.

Your comment jogged my memory about using *peer-to-peer* support from the Ghost Boot Wizard to add possible USB keyboard support--and possibly USB mouse support (I think you have to load a DOS mouse driver as well for DOS mouse support)--looked up my list of *important previous threads* and I discovered we talked about this in the past!

Bootable CD w/ peer to peer usb support?

And here's a much older thread with comments about this:

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!--reply #142--using *Peer-to-Peer USB DOS driver to possibly add USB keyboard and/or mouse support to DOS boot disk

and again another:

Using Peer-to-Peer USB support to run USB Mouse

Glad you got it sorted out!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print