Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghs and GHO restoring problem (Read 2995 times)
toprow
Ex Member

Ghs and GHO restoring problem
May 1st, 2010 at 8:11pm

Ok, the last time i made an image for Ghost v11.0 was awhile back. When i made the image it automatically made a GHS file since the harddrive i was making the backup to was already full, so now i have a GHO file and a GHS file of the backup. So how do i restore both the GHO and the GHS file at the same time?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghs and GHO restoring problem
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2010 at 9:46am

@
toprow

Quote:
When i made the image it automatically made a GHS file since the harddrive i was making the backup to was already full

Not sure what point you are trying to make here--unless the drive you are talking about was the destination drive for your image file--and Ghost had to divide the storage location to two different destination drives. 

(When I re-read your statement--it looks like you are talking about the destination drive--so you stored the file segments on two different destinations.  To do a restore, put both files in the same directory together--if Ghost does not automatically fined that second *.ghs* of the file set, it will ask you to browse and select it *manually*--just do that and the restore should continue!  Probably the rest of my response below (which I typed before re-reading your question) does not apply--now that I understand the question better--but I left it there for background information!)

Since Corp Ghost 8.xx (I'm not sure of which exact version), Ghost image files could be single, large sizes--but, the partition file system where you are storing the Ghost image file limits those sizes!  FAT 16 has a 2 GB file size limit.  FAT 32 has a 4 GB file size limit.  NTFS is limited only by the size of the partition size!

Ghost versions prior to the above were limited to 2 GB regardless of the file system used.

So, if your data that was being backed up exceeded one of those limits above, then Ghost has to break the image file into *segments* or *spanned* files.  The first file is the *.gho* file, and then any additional files associated with that image would be *.ghs* files--but they are a single image *file set*.

If you restore the image file set, Ghost begins with the *.gho* file and then automatically proceeds to the next segment, i.e. the next *.ghs* file.

So, what is the partition file system where you stored the image files?

What is the size of the *.gho* file and the *.ghs* file?

Do those pieces of data correspond to the above explanation?

Quote:
So how do i restore both the GHO and the GHS file at the same time?

Should happen *automatically* as long as all the file segments are in the same directory (i.e. not the *.gho* file in one location, and the *.ghs* in some other location)--unless other non-default settings where used--such as changing file names, location, etc.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print