Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions!! WholeDriveBackup! (Read 13224 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions!! WholeDriveBackup!
Sep 24th, 2011 at 11:28am

Hiya  Smiley

GHOST 2003, Windows XP pro.

HD0: 320GB, [internal MAIN] - C:\ (O/S XP), D:\, E:\, F:\ G:\ .

HD1: 320GB, [second internal HD] - H:\, I:\.

External HD: 1.5TB, P:\, Q:\, R:\, S:\, T:\. 

note: L:\, M:\, N:\, O:\ = for external HD, NOT connected!

ALL NTFS, EIDE/PATA.

My intention is to create a *whole drive backup*  from HD0 (C:\, D:\,E:\,F:\G:\) onto the external HD, partition T:\ (for emergency, if my HD0 will die).

I haven't got much space left on HD1, will keep just enough space left on I:\ to create a *whole drive backup* some time from now, to have ONE  more 'up-to-date' image. 

Ghost identifies the 3 above mentioned HDs.

HOWEVER - and that's the point:

In Windows-mode, Ghost identifies
ONLY C:\ + D:\ (HD0) - E:\, F:\, G:\ are missing! > never showed up since installing Ghost!

All the other HDs + partitions are shown.

That didn't matter to me, since I created only
backups from C:\ - onto HD1 = Partition I:\.

In DOS-mode >>> {I start into DOS using 2
CD/DVD floppies}, Ghost identifies as source > 1 (320GB), 2 (320GB), 3 (1.5TB) - I chose *1* < hoping that was correct  Huh

When it comes to the destination: Ghost
identifies ONLY the first 2 partitions of the external HD  Roll Eyes

No use for me, I need partition T:\ where I
created a folder for the *whole drive backup*.

The above described "identifications" (Windows/DOS) are different (!!!), and none is sufficient to have me create a backup LOCAL > DISK > TO IMAGE  Angry

What to do to get Ghost identify the 'missing'
partitions  Huh

henriette  Cheesy

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Re: Ghost 2003 doesn't show all partitions!! WholeDriveBackup!
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2011 at 6:43am

Two points:
In several years of doing these forums I find people having all sorts of problems when they create too many partitions on a single hard drive.  One partition for the OS and one for everything else, is sufficient.  Use sub-directories on the second partition to separate information, not more partitions.

When you get to the point in Ghost, where it shows you the possible drives to use as a target for the backup, you have to scroll down in the drives menu to see all the drives.
If that scroll down fails with the mouse, then you must use the keyboard keys.

In all the years that I've used Ghost 2003, I've never had it on my hard drive.  I use it only from a DOS boot disk, formatted under Windows ME or XP.  I also load Mouse.com in the Autoexec.bat file, so I can run Ghost with my PS2 mouse.

Good Luck,
Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2011 at 11:43am

Ghost 2003 has a 1TB size limit according to other posts on this forum.  That's likely why you don't see your T drive.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2011 at 3:10am

@OldCasper

Quote:
When you get to the point in Ghost, where it shows you the possible drives to use as a target for the backup, you have to scroll down in the drives menu to see all the drives.
If that scroll down fails with the mouse, then you must use the keyboard keys.

I am well aware of that. That's the way I do it  Wink

note: I use Ghost in its native DOS mode only.
(Windows mode was just to check, which partition are being recognised!)

Perhaps I have not made myself sufficiently clear, that Ghost won't even show all partitions of my main HD0, which I need for creating a *whole drive backup*.

henriette wrote:
Quote:
In DOS-mode >>> {I start into DOS using 2
CD/DVD floppies}, Ghost identifies as source > 1 (320GB), 2 (320GB), 3 (1.5TB) - I chose *1* < hoping that was correct

<<< now,
is *1* actually my whole HD0 with ALL its partitions - meaning:
would that be correct  Huh

>>> if so, then I could use JUST the above mentioned 2 *CD/DVD boot disks* [I never used the "DOS boot disk"], as I always do, using DOS-mode. *CD/DVD boot disks* because otherwise my DVD drive would not be recognised.

Do you think, Ghost would recognise ALL partitions of my HD0, by using a "DOS boot disk"
instead of the *CD/DVD boot disks* (note! > when creating a *whole drive backup*, I would NOT write it on DVDsss, but onto HD1 _ partition I:\ !.

That particular 'one time', I would create a backup for replacing the present HD0 - ONLY!).
... hopefully not that soon!!!  [old age].

Is there such a difference between the two sorts of boot floppies
--- that is my question  Huh

@Tator
Quote:
Ghost 2003 has a 1TB size limit ...  That's likely why you don't see your T drive

Thank you, that explains a lot  Smiley

What I need (for a *whole drive backup*) is:
> HD0: 320GB, [internal MAIN] - C:\ (O/S XP), D:\, E:\, F:\ G:\ .

As mentioned above: E:\, F:\ & G:\ are not recognised. Will they be, when using a "DOS boot disk" instead of the *CD/DVD boot disks*
  Huh
{sorry, when I repeat myself  Embarrassed}

... created onto:
HD1: 320GB, [second internal HD] - I:\. - latter IS being recognised by Ghost :=)

Can you please help me to get the question marks out of my head ...   Roll Eyes

henriette  Cry

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Oct 19th, 2011 at 10:11am

Occasionally I've had problems with Ghost not recognizing certain partitions on some systems.  My solution is to use another partition Ghost recognizes or use Seagate DiscWizard instead of Ghost.  FYI DiscWizard is a free download, is faster than Ghost, compresses a little more thus saving storage space, and I've never had it fail to recognize any partition.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #5 - Oct 20th, 2011 at 6:14am

@Tator

Thanks for your reply.
Unfortunately it doesn't answer my questions >  (reply #3), e.g.
red
  Sad

henriette

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2011 at 11:50am

@
henriette

So, lots of information in your original and subsequent posts--but, it's confusing and I'm not sure I understand--we will need to back-track and clarify some of the details.

But, first I will answer some of the questions before digging down into the *details*:

Quote:
Is there such a difference between the two sorts of boot floppies --- that is my question

Both are *DOS Boot Disks*--the *2 CD/DVD floppies* is a DOS boot disk pair that includes the DOS optical disc drivers so you can access the optical drives on your system in DOS.  The *DOS boot disk* is a single DOS boot disk that does not have the DOS optical disc drivers.  If you do not need to access data on you optical drives in DOS, then both boot disks will work the same as far as using Ghost to access your internal HDDs.

(As an aside--if Ghost 2003 recognizes your optical writer drives as being a possible destination for writing a Ghost image to, then your optical drive will be shown in the DOS Ghost drop down box for selecting a destination drive.  In this case, there are internal drivers inside DOS Ghost that are accessing the optical drive.  You know Ghost 2003 is using those internal drivers if your optical drive is identified in that destination drop down list and is preceded by *@* before the description of the drive.  Not all optical writer drives are compatible with Ghost 2003's internal drivers--so, if yours isn't, then it will not show up in that list.

If you have used the *2 CD/DVD floppies* and your optical drive(s) are assigned a DOS drive letter--and your optical writer drives are not compatible with Ghost 2003's internal writing drivers--then your optical drives will not show up in the destination drop down list--but, the optical drives will show up in the drop down list for selecting a *source* drive for accessing an image stored on optical media.  And, your drive will be preceded by its DOS drive letter in this case--not the *@* symbol.

But, even if your optical writer shows up in Ghost 2003's DOS interface, it will still not be seen in regular DOS unless you have booted using that *2 CD/DVD floppies* boot pair.)

So, both boot disks options should give you the same results as far as working with your HDDs--does that answer your question?

Quote:
<<< now, is *1* actually my whole HD0 with ALL its partitions - meaning:
would that be correct

Maybe!  You have to do some testing to see which drive is being seen first in DOS.  If you have connected your primary PATA boot drive with your OS to the master position (if using *Cable Select*) on the primary PATA IDE channel, then the first drive listed in Ghost 2003's DOS interface should be drive *1*.  But, not all systems require that you hook up your boot drive to the primary, master position of the primary IDE channel--especially newer systems--the boot drive and/or partition is selected in the BIOS--so in that case the first drive seen in DOS may not be the boot drive--so it depends........

But, you should *confirm* that!  When you have two or more drives with the same size and manufacturer, it can be confusing which is which.  I do two things to help make sure which is which:  1.  I give each partition on the HDD a *Label* that is unique.  For instance I label my OS parititon as *WinXP*, and then each additional partition is labeled with the drive letter that WinXP assigns to those partitions--so partition *D* in Windows would be *Part_D*, and partition *E* is *Part_E*, etc.  2.  I try not to have equal numbers of partitions on different drives and I vary the parititon sizes.

In DOS Ghost, all the drive for NTFS partitions will not have drive letters!  They instead have the drive # and then the partition #--so like this:  1:1, 1:2, 1:3, etc, and 2:1, 2:2, etc.  But, the partition labels will show up that allow the drive to be positively ID'd.

How?  In DOS Ghost, select *Local > Partition >To Image*.  You will then be given a list of *whole* drives recognized by Ghost--numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.  Select *1* and you will then be given the list of partitions on that HDD.  Here you will see the partition labels as well.  If you have unique names, number of partitions, and sizes of partitions--you now will know what drive you are accessing.  At this point, you can select *Cancel* and then you can do this for each of the other numbered HDD at that first selection screen after using  *Local > Partition >To Image* to see what drive is associated with which drive number.  This association will remain the same, unless you change the which IDE controller, and/or slave/master position the HDD is on a give channel.

So, does that answer your *red* questions?

I have to attend to some other business right now, but I'll be back to discuss the other details that I'm not sure I understand above--and, see if we can somehow get those other partitions that are missing to show up.

Later!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #7 - Oct 22nd, 2011 at 12:50pm

@NightOwl

I do understand now the _not really_ existing difference between *DOS Boot Disks* and the *2 CD/DVD floppies*.
Quote:
So, both boot disks options should give you the same results as far as working with your HDDs--does that answer your question?

Yessssssss  Smiley

In an earlier thread (longer time ago) we (you & I) had that subject, and thanks to you I created the *2 CD/DVD boot floppies*. Since that time my optical drive was recognised well  Smiley (had trouble before > errors & such! --> as you said, incompatibility).

Now, since there is no *real difference* (boot floppies) ...
Quote:
both boot disks will work the same as far as using Ghost to access your internal HDDs.

... I think I can use the *2 CD/DVD boot floppies*, although I do not intend to write a *whole drive backup* on DVD - I guess I would need too many DVDssss, so IMHO it would be sufficient to create 1 *whole drive backup* onto HD1 > partition I:/ {which is the destination partition for Ghost 2003 images [HD1 = 320GB] }.

note: I use to keep 1-2 images of C:/ partition (XP) only there, write it on DVD as well, then immediately save it to an external HD [1.5 TB] --- so there will be JUST enough space left on HD1, partition I:/ for one *whole drive backup* --- JUST ONCE!

note 2: everything went well so far - creating images of C:/ only, drop-down-list, etc. etc., thanks to
your excellent and patient explanation
  Kiss (optical is identified in that destination drop down list and is preceded by *@* before the description of the drive)  Wink

Each image created/restored in DOS mode only.

For *whole drive backup*:
Henriette wrote:
Quote:
is *1* actually my whole HD0 with ALL its partitions - meaning: would that be correct

Quote:
If you have connected your primary PATA boot drive with your OS to the master position (if using *Cable Select*) on the primary PATA IDE channel, then the first drive listed in Ghost 2003's DOS interface should be drive *1*.

I did not use *cable select* ... for some reason I cannot remember. I hope I can leave as is ... to "reach" my internal HDDs is a pain ***!!! >>>

HD0 = 5 partitions = 320GB WD! = master.
HD1 = 2 partitions = 320GB WD! = slave   

Now, whenever I am in DOS mode (Ghost), HD0 shows up on top as "drive 1 [XP]", which I chose for creating an image. I also see all of the partitions (C,D,E,F,G) = WHOLE drive HD0.

Last time, when I had the external drive connected [1.5 TB!! < of which I know now, that Ghost has a 1 TB size limit] --> Tator, reply #2.

I will have to check again, without the external drive connected, just the two internal drives.

Quote:
When you have two or more drives with the same size and manufacturer, it can be confusing which is which.

Yeah! That's exactly what I have (see above) Roll Eyes

I ALSO label my OS partition as *WinXP*, still! it showed only *1*, *2* and the external *3* (latter is easily to tell  Wink.

>> it only showed the sizes, not e.g *XP* or anything like that.

To make sure, I have to check again.
Quote:
In DOS Ghost, all the drive for NTFS partitions will not have drive letters!  They instead have the drive # and then the partition #--so like this:  1:1, 1:2, 1:3, etc, and 2:1, 2:2, etc.  But, the partition labels will show up that allow the drive to be positively ID'd.

The IDs should tell me which is  which  Wink

(the following quote for myself, will help me a lot, when reading while *doing*, thank you!!)  Grin

Quote:
How?  In DOS Ghost, select *Local > Partition >To Image*.  You will then be given a list of *whole* drives recognized by Ghost--numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.  Select *1* and you will then be given the list of partitions on that HDD.  Here you will see the partition labels as well.  If you have unique names, number of partitions, and sizes of partitions--you now will know what drive you are accessing.  At this point, you can select *Cancel* and then you can do this for each of the other numbered HDD at that first selection screen after using  *Local > Partition >To Image* to see what drive is associated with which drive number.  This association will remain the same, unless you change the which IDE controller, and/or slave/master position the HDD is on a give channel.

Quote:
does that answer your *red* questions?

Plz give me 1-2 days, will check & report back asap.

Thank you so much, NightOwl  Kiss

Just btw:My board: ASUS A7N8X-X
BIOS = Phoenix Award BIOS v6.00PG.
[NO dual boot possible, btw < I refer to thread "win 7+Ghost 2003"].

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2011 at 4:52am

@NightOwl

Quote:
In DOS Ghost, select *Local > Partition >To Image*.  You will then be given a list of *whole* drives recognized by Ghost--numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.  Select *1* and you will then be given the list of partitions on that HDD.  Here you will see the partition labels as well.  If you have unique names, number of partitions, and sizes of partitions--you now will know what drive you are accessing.  At this point, you can select *Cancel* and then you can do this for each of the other numbered HDD at that first selection screen after using  *Local > Partition >To Image* to see what drive is associated with which drive number.  This association will remain the same, unless you change the which IDE controller, and/or slave/master position the HDD is on a give channel.

I did as told  Wink

*1* = HD0, shows all partitions (XP as primary, 4 others as logical; just as expected)  Smiley

*2* = HD1, shows the 2 partitions, also I:\ which is for my backups  Wink

I'm waiting for an external HD (size either 200 GB or 300GB) where I could create 1-2 *whole drive backups* onto.

A friend who owns "a ton" of external HDs, wants to give me one. Just have no idea when this will be ... >>>
> --- so I'll have to wait & see what happens  Roll Eyes

Ghost 2003 would recognize the external HD, since rather small :=)

° Internal HD0 (all partitions incl. XP):
> data size total = 110 GB [date: 10/26/11].

° Internal HD1:
> partition I:\ = free space 150 GB.

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print