Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Win7 's SRP (System Reserved Partition) and Ghost 2003 (Read 37076 times)
Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Win7 's SRP (System Reserved Partition) and Ghost 2003
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 11:42am

Brian wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 8:12pm:
If you use this script from a BIBM CD a BCD Edit isn't needed.

Interesting.  Evidently, the slide must trigger a programmatic BCD edit.

Did you note the BCD setting before and after running the script?  Was it set to "{boot}"?  Or to "HD 0, Partition 2"?  I wonder if it makes any difference what it started off with.  (My guess is, probably not.  If sliding triggers BIBM to do its own BCD edit, it should be able to take into account the deleted partition-1.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 1:55pm

Dan, I did look at that. No values were set to {boot}. When the SRP was present the Windows Boot Manager/Device value showed

HD: 0
Partition: System Reserved

Partition Work showed two partitions
System Reserved
MBR 1

After using the script, the Windows Boot Manager/Device value showed

Partition: MBR 1

(none of the others was {boot})

Edit.... With a SRP present I set Windows Boot Manager/Device, Windows Memory Diagnostic/Device, Windows 7/Device and Windows 7/OS Device to {boot}. Then ran the script.

Windows 7/Device now showed

Windows 7/OS Device, Windows Boot Manager/Device and  Windows Memory Diagnostic/Device still showed

{boot}

Win 7 booted fine.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 6:30pm

Ah, I see we think alike!  That second part--presetting it to {boot} and seeing if it stayed {boot}--was going to be my next question.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2011 at 7:03pm

Win7 with a SRP again. I set all four values to {boot} and ran the script without the Slide line. All four values in the Win7 partition were {boot} and Win7 booted. No BCD Edit was needed.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #19 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 3:02am

Brian wrote on Dec 3rd, 2011 at 7:03pm:
Win7 with a SRP again. I set all four values to {boot} . . .

Wait, run that part by me again . . . you set the SRP active, the BCD in the SRP to {boot}, and Win7 booted?  I thought {boot} was just shorthand for the active partition, but pre-script the OS partition isn't active.  So how does the BCD in the SRP know that {boot} refers to partition-2 in that scenario?

I can understand Win7 booting after running the slide-less script (because post-script the OS partition is the active partition), but I would not have guessed Win7 would have been bootable pre-script (because at that point the active partition and the OS partition weren't one and the same).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 3:40am

Dan,

I've just started to run that test again. We may be using different terminology on {boot}. I'm taking it from this context.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=492

Quote:
Generally, you should have {boot} selected in the upper Type drop-down list.  In this case, the lower Type drop-down list will be unused and inaccessible.  However, if necessary, you may use the upper Type drop-down list to select the hard drive number on which the BCD file resides (i.e. the hard drive where the file bootmgr can be found).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 4:06am

I restored a Win7/SRP entire drive image. Win7 booted normally. Both Windows 7 BCD Edit entries were

Windows Boot Manager and Windows Memory Diagnostic were

Partition: System Reserved

I then edited all four items to {boot}

I tried to boot Win7 but it booted into a Startup Repair which I cancelled. Consistent with your comment. I realized I hadn't tried to boot Win7 at this stage in my previous test.

The script was run without the slide line. I then booted from a BIBM CD again and checked BCD Edit on the Win7 partition. All four items were {boot}. Win7 booted normally.

I know. It's a little different from the previous test but a BCD Edit wasn't needed after the script. But it isn't a practical method because I had to do a BCD Edit before the script. May as well have done the edit after the script.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #22 - Dec 4th, 2011 at 3:53pm

Brian wrote on Dec 4th, 2011 at 4:06am:
I restored a Win7/SRP entire drive image. Win7 booted normally.
[...]
I then edited all four items to {boot}

I tried to boot Win7 but it booted into a Startup Repair which I cancelled.

Okay, that's what I would have expected.  Changing BCD to {boot} would have caused the BCD to look for Win7 on the SRP instead of Partition-2.

Quote:
The script was run without the slide line. I then booted from a BIBM CD again and checked BCD Edit on the Win7 partition. All four items were {boot}. Win7 booted normally.

That also makes sense.  Without the slide, you don't trigger BIBM to reedit the BCD, so all entries in the BCD should be exactly as they were pre-script.  And the {boot} reference now works because the active partition and the Win7 partition are now one and the same.

Adding a slide to the script seems to trigger an automatic BCD edit, whether it's needed or not.  So while {boot} could have still been valid post-slide, BIBM changed it regardless, using the HD-number/MBR-entry style of referring to the OS partition.  It appears BIBM, when left to figure it out for itself, will always use that type of reference instead of the alternatives, {boot} or HD-number/partition-name.

Thanks for clarifying the test results.  It all makes sense now.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 2:32pm

I've worked out why I was seeing the Vista type loading screen after running the script. I wasn't copying the sub-folders in the Boot folder. The following line works and I now see the Win7 loading screen.

copy boot\* 2:\boot /s

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Dec 5th, 2011 at 6:32pm

I'm pleased this test is over. The latest script (which auto starts) on a TBOSDT USB flash drive is..

Code:
exec image.exe /r /uy /d:d3 /f:d2@0x01:\IFWBU\Windows7IFD\SRPBasicWin7\srpwin7
mount 1: 3 0x01
mount 2: 3 0x02
2:
MD Boot
1:
copy Boot\* 2:\Boot /s
copy bootmgr 2:
umount 1:
del partition 3 0x01
umount 2:
set part active 3 0x02
slide 3 0x02 0 /a=2048
resize 3 0x02 /a=2048
reboot

A Win7/SRP entire drive image is restored. (As soon as the restore commences the flash drive can be withdrawn.) After the restore has completed the SRP is removed, a slide and resize of the Win7 partition takes place and Win7 boots.

The entire process only takes 8 minutes. 3 minutes for the restore and 5 minutes for the SRP removal section. Most of the 5 minutes is for the slide.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #25 - Dec 8th, 2011 at 2:00pm

The SRP can be removed in Windows without assigning a drive letter to the SRP. This can be done with tbosdtw.exe. This can...

copy the booting files from the SRP to the Win7 partition
set the Win7 partition Active
delete the SRP
perform a BCD Edit

Win7 boots at the next restart and all that remains is dealing with the 100 MB of unallocated space. But this can be at your leisure.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #26 - Dec 9th, 2011 at 2:36pm

To remove the SRP in Win7...

Create a temporary folder called SSS in the C: drive
Copy 1.cmd, 2.run, tbosdtw.exe and bootitbm.ini into SSS

1.cmd contains

Code:
@echo off
reg unload HKLM\BCD00000000
CD \SSS
tbosdtw 2.run
bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd /set {bootmgr} device partition=c:
bcdedit /store c:\boot\bcd /set {memdiag} device partition=c:
pause

2.run contains

Code:
list hd 0
mount 1: 0 0x01
copy 1:Boot\* C:\Boot\ /s
copy 1:bootmgr C:\
umount 1:
set part active 0 0x02
del partition 0 0x01
list hd 0 /f /u /a=2048

Run 1.cmd as an Administrator
Delete SSS

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #27 - Dec 16th, 2011 at 1:08am

@
Dan Goodell and
@
Brian

Okay, so I've been busy and let this one slide for awhile:

Quote:
If you still have access to the laptop, can you check the type descriptors in the partition table with ptedit32?  (Note: to run ptedit32 in Win7, you have to right-click the executable and "Run as administrator".)  In a normal Microsoft-style installation, both the SRP and OS partition should be type 07.

All of this took place back in August--so, no I don't have the laptop anymore--and that SRP is also *history*.

Quote:
I wouldn't think there would be any point to masquerading the SRP, unless it was integral to something like their factory recovery scheme.  I don't know how Toshiba's factory recovery utility works, but I wonder if they've made the SRP do double-duty as the launcher for the factory recovery utility.

Interesting thought--or maybe the SRP was not the boot partition at all....here's what happened...

After reaching the point where I could not gain access to the SRP in order to attempt to copy the one file and the one folder (bootmgr file and Boot folder--see Brian's outline as to how to remove the SRP ) to the OS partition, I was looking around for some way to get around this when I noticed that the OS already had those two items in the root directory!

Well, I had already made the factory recovery DVD set to restore the system back to the *factory fresh* state--and we had a Ghost image file of the SRP and the OS--so I says to myself--*damn the torpedoes--full speed ahead*, and I proceeded to follow the rest of the steps:

Quote:
Restart the computer with a BING CD in the drive.
In BING (Partition Work), delete the SRP.
In BING, do a BCD Edit on Win7.

And, then I did a *slide* of the OS partition using BING to recover the old SRP space.

Worked like a charm--booted without any issues.

So, thinking back--why would Toshiba have that folder and file already on the OS partition--maybe the SRP wasn't really the *SRP*, but rather the Toshiba Utility partition!

Now, I'm sure my friend still has that original Ghost image file--so when I have the chance, I'll restore that *SRP* and OS partition to a spare HDD, and check the type descriptors in the partition table with ptedit32.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print