Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Back after about two years away ... needing help to get going again (Read 30774 times)
Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Re: Back after about two years away ... needing help to get going again
Reply #15 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 1:37am

Don't mean to interrupt Brian when he's on a roll, but if Jer bought a new computer with Win7 preinstalled, he probably has a SRP.  Wouldn't Reply #3 (generalizing the BCD) mess things up?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 2:30am

Dan,

No doubt about you. I've been working without a SRP for so long that I'd forgotten about that combination.

Jer, don't use the generalization edits. Even if you don't have a SRP you don't need them with IFL anyway.

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Apr 24th, 2012 at 9:29pm

Brian
Thank you for all the direction. I am sorry I have not been as faithful getting back and trying things. Yesterday I spent from 9:30 am to 6:30 with my wife at the oncology department and chemo. Today was another story. Hopefully tomorrow pm., things will let up a little and I be able to experiment. Just so you know I am not unappreciative.
Jer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:33am

Jer,

That's understood.

When you feel more comfortable with IFD/IFL we can teach you how to create images outside of Windows (as you are now doing) but without having to use a flash drive or CD. Only if that interests you. I like these things to be automated. In fact, my restores are automated too.

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - May 1st, 2012 at 6:21pm

Brian
This is probably not fair to you guys, but, the wife has been deathly sick since starting a new chemo regimen yesterday and I have not had a minute to come here until now. Sorry, but she comes first .... as much as I would like to be able to back up my system.

Just wanted to say this evening that prior to setting up this new system, a boot thumb drive for both ghost and TFL would boot and load the respective program. Now, this new system does not see either ... but just continues with the boot up into win7. Does that mean that before I do anything, something has to be changed in the bios?
Jer

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #20 - May 1st, 2012 at 6:57pm

@
Jer

Quote:
the wife has been deathly sick since starting a new chemo regimen yesterday and I have not had a minute to come here until now. Sorry, but she comes first ....

Brian has said if for all of us....

Brian wrote on Apr 25th, 2012 at 1:33am:
That's understood.

Quote:
Just wanted to say this evening that prior to setting up this new system,

It's not clear what you are saying.  I thought you bought a new system some time ago (week or more?) with Win7 installed--and not *this evening*!

Quote:
a boot thumb drive for both ghost and TFL would boot and load the respective program. Now, this new system does not see either ...

So, what does this statement mean? 

Are we talking two different systems?  .... two different installations of Win7?  .... or ......?  Did something change?

Quote:
just continues with the boot up into win7. Does that mean that before I do anything, something has to be changed in the bios?

On a new system, it is most likely that the HDD is the default boot device.  But, a floppy drive (if a bootable floppy disk is present), optical drive (if a bootable optical disc is present), or a USB thumbdrive (if a bootable drive is attached) could be listed ahead of the HDD.  These devices would be *ignored* if no bootable media was present even though they might be listed ahead of the HDD.

Most systems allow one to bring up the *boot device list* during boot so you can choose a one time change as to which device will be used for booting by selecting from that list--regardless of the boot priority that is set in the BIOS.  One usually uses the F8 key or the F12 key.  You usually see a brief display on the monitor during the initial POST by the system saying to press whichever key to bring up that list.

In the BIOS, you can set the default *boot order priority list* under one of the BIOS menu items--you usually get 3 or 4 devices that can be chosen as to which is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc..

Quote:
this evening that prior to setting up this new system, a boot thumb drive for both ghost and TFL would boot and load the respective program. Now, this new system does not see either ... but just continues with the boot up into win7.

If you're saying you initially could boot from the thumbdrives....and now can not--then what did you do to change something?  The BIOS boot priority list can only be changed by entering the BIOS during the POST process and manually changing it there.  I've never seen or heard of any other way for that to be changed--but, that doesn't mean it couldn't somehow happen, I guess.

Can you clarify?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 2:45pm

Hi again guys. My wife died in May and shortly thereafter I had a nervous breakdown and so have not been back here for months. When I catch my breath a little I should be ready for business and a back-up and restore. Until then I have to try and get my head on straight. Difficult when you lose a perfect marriage mate after 49 years and almost lose your mind. Be patient after a sudden disappearance and no post..
Jer

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #22 - Dec 29th, 2012 at 4:39pm

@
Jer

Very sorry to hear about your loss--a nervous breakdown is not an unexpected response--it happens--nothing to be ashamed of--we recover--we move on.......

Hey--whenever you're ready to work on your system(s) and figure out how to make them work the way you want them to--just post--best to start a new thread.

Best wishes until then.  Hope the New Year brings you peace and tranquillity.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print