Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Back after about two years away ... needing help to get going again (Read 30598 times)
Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Back after about two years away ... needing help to get going again
Apr 20th, 2012 at 8:35pm

It has been probably two years since I have been here. Have been struggling with my wife's terminal cancer situation. The last version of ghost I used was I believe 2003

I just acquired a new computer with win7 64 bit. Nothing I have will work with it. Can someone help me to get back in the game again? I would like to starting backing up this new system.

What version can I go to that will work similar to the old ghost? If any? Please, someone help me!

Jer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Back after about two years away ... needing help to get going again
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2012 at 11:12pm

Jer,

There is no Ghost 12.5. I checked your old posts and you mentioned Ghost 2003. Is that correct?

How do you like doing your backups? Outside of Windows? To an internal or external HD?

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 3:08pm

Yes, 2003 is correct. I remember that it would not work with win7 as I remember.  I have a data drive that I like to copy ghost images to. Boot ghost, run the program and then ghost the image to a folder on the d: drive. Thank you for any help
Jer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2012 at 3:53pm

Jer,

You can user Ghost 2003 with Win7 64-bit. Don't try to install Ghost 2003; run it from a boot disk. I did a test image/restore last night and it was successful. I suggest you generalize your BCD as this gets around booting issues when restoring a Ghost image to a new HD.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1313342621/6#6

To generalize the BCD, enter these lines from an Administrator Command Prompt.

Code:
bcdedit /set {bootmgr} device boot       
bcdedit /set {default} device boot         
bcdedit /set {default} osdevice boot      
bcdedit /set {memdiag} device boot   

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 3:49pm

Well, now I Find my disk is corrupt and will no longer boot., anyhow. And, after two years I can find no backup. Woe is me! So what version can I buy that has a user interface most similar to my 2003 version that will work with my win 7 professional 64 bit?
Jer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Apr 22nd, 2012 at 4:29pm

Jer,

I suggest Image for DOS. There is a one month trial. Download the GUI version as it is easier to use than the CUI version. Unzip, double click makedisk.exe and create a CD. Don't tick any of the options in the makedisk menus (accept the defaults) and choose 1024x768 - 64K Colors Video Mode.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-dos.htm

Let us know if you have any problems.

Edit... There are two options you should tick.
Align Partitions on 2048 Sectors
Use Windows 7 MBR

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 4:36pm

@
Jer

Quote:
Have been struggling with my wife's terminal cancer situation.

Sorry to hear about that.

Quote:
I just acquired a new computer with win7 64 bit. Nothing I have will work with it.

So, is it a *desktop*, or laptop, or .... ?  Make and model is always helpful to better understand what you're dealing with.

There's a good chance Ghost 2003 could be used without problems.  Brian has already mentioned above one thing you might have to do to make it easier to use Ghost 2003 with a new Win7 machine. 

There are probably a couple more things that would make it *much easier* to use--and we could walk you through it if you wanted/needed to do so.

Brian's suggestion to switch to a different backup program is probably the *easiest* solution if you want to continue booting to DOS to run image backups.  All the newer *consumer* versions of Ghost are run from within Windows.  You only boot to the *Recovery Environment* (a bootable CD) when you need to restore the OS partition.

The Corporate version of Ghost--Ghost 11.xx is still being developed and can be run from DOS--but, it takes a special boot disk setup because the program is so large.  And, you have to purchase a minimum 5 license at approx. $30.00 per license--so it's not a real tempting way to go unless you need the 5 licenses.

Quote:
Well, now I Find my disk is corrupt and will no longer boot., anyhow.

So, what are we talking about?  Is the boot disk a floppy disk?  Or, are we talking about a bootable CD.  Or, bootable USB device?  Some newer systems require some tweaking of the BIOS to boot to DOS successfully.  Or, sometimes modifications are needed to the boot media to be compatible with the new system--especially SATA optical drives.

So, what boot media are you using?  And what happens that makes you say that the boot disk, or disc, is corrupt?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 8:08pm

I'll answer Brian first since he posted first. Then NightOwl. Probably not completely this evening. I spent all day at  Oncology from 9:30 a.m. to 6:45 pm., so probably to bed early.

I bought Terabyte's image for Linux and found it really difficult to figure out the answer to all the technical questions. I could try and download and use the Image for DOS. I believe a purchase entitles you to any of the various versions of Terabyte's backup software. In the DOS version, is the interface easier to understand?

Don't get me wrong. I have been using computers since the 1980's and have a general knowledge of both hardware and software. However, I really am limited in a lot of the really technical stuff. At 75 my memory has also faded a lot and I struggle to remember some of technical details I thought I had mastered. Of course struggling with my wife's health for nearly two years has not helped. 

On the media I have 2003 on a 3.5 floppy; the computer (MSI motherboard) just continually clicks and it doesn't actually access the disk. That is why I said the disk is corrupt. Other disks work so I know it's not the computer itself.

In former days, I always put together my own systems and did not partition the disk. However this machine (new) I bought, has the special partition for the boot stuff. I am not fully conversant altogether with how backups work with this approach, let alone restores.

Let me know where I have not provided enough info

Jer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 8:26pm

Jer,

I'll just boot from an IFL CD and write some instructions.

Edit... Do you have the GUI IFL. The one where you can use your mouse?

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 8:52pm

I have the CD and yes I can use the mouse as I remember. I'll double check and get back in the am.
Jer

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:03pm

I was wrong...I had put it (TFL) on a thumb drive. When I boot and hit f-11, my choice is the two Sata hard drives and something designated UEFI Fat File System. Is that the thumb drive? If not, then the bios does not even see the thumb drive and/or just ignores it. If it is, selecting it to boot ... it is also just ignoring it and windows just goes ahead and loads.

Now I am going to bed. Thank you for any and all help. It is much appreciated
Jer

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:12pm

This is for IFL GUI, ver 2.70

Click Backup
Full Backup
Linux
sda (the first HD)
select your partition, partitions or Entire Drive
File (Direct)
Linux
select your backup drive. USB are last
select your backup storage partition, then folder
name the image
leave the 3 default ticks present
put a tick in Validate Byte-for-Byte
Start

(IFL, IFD and IFW all produce the same image. It can be restored with any of the three apps)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:19pm

This is for IFD GUI, ver 2.70

Backup
Full Backup
BIOS
Hard Drive 0
File (Direct)
BIOS
select your backup drive, then folder
name the image
Start

The IFD choices are slightly different if you use a USB HD as the backup destination.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:31pm

I just saw your post about the thumb drive. Both posts above were for CDs.

Using a thumb drive with IFL...

Click Backup
Full Backup
Linux
sda (the weird name is your flash drive. It will be last)
File (Direct)
Linux
select your backup drive. USB are last
select your backup storage partition, then folder
name the image
Start

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #14 - Apr 23rd, 2012 at 9:40pm

When using an IFD flash drive, Hard Drive 0 will be the flash drive and the internal HDs may be reversed. Your first HD may be last in the list.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print