Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Sector use in the First Track (Read 26101 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Sector use in the First Track
Reply #15 - May 6th, 2012 at 4:59pm

@
NightOwl

When I install Ubuntu I follow this tutorial and Grub2 is installed into the Ubuntu partition. You can't install Grub2 into the MBR and still have a functioning BIBM.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=279

In the TeraByte forum thread I quoted, Tom Pfeifer said he'd check other Linux distros for the same issue. I used to think the TeraByte apps imaged the first 63 sectors whenever an image was created but they must image more sectors than 63 as you are able to restore 103 sectors. (By the way, there is no option about backing up sectors, only restoring them) In the above situation, restoring an Ubuntu image to a new HD, you would put 0 in the First Track Sectors  field and the appropriate number of sectors will be restored.

I can't answer your technical questions about Grub2.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - May 7th, 2012 at 9:43am

@
Brian

Quote:
(By the way, there is no option about backing up sectors, only restoring them)

Interesting--I guess we have to *know* what we're doing  Wink !

Quote:
I can't answer your technical questions about Grub2.

Not to worry.  My questions are often rhetorical to stimulate thinking about various topics--and to see if there are others out there with expertise that might contribute.

So, does Image for Linux represent an imaging technique similar to Image for DOS--you can only boot it from an optical disc or perhaps from a bootable partition?  Or, can it be *installed* to a Linux OS and used like Image for Windows from within the installed Linux OS?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #17 - May 7th, 2012 at 3:29pm

@
NightOwl

You can run IFL from a CD, USB flash drive and a "bootfile". In addition it can be installed in a Linux OS but unlike IFW, it can only image non-OS partitions.

One advantage of IFL over IFD is it accesses the HD directly without using the BIOS. Depending on your BIOS, IFD sometimes doesn't see a USB external HD. IFL will see a USB external HD. IFD doesn't have networking. IFL does. If you get a chance have a look at the latest IFL GUI disk. It is very impressive with extra tools such as the OSDTool to assist with restoring to "different" hardware. I had fun restoring laptop images to desktops and getting the OS to load.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - May 29th, 2012 at 3:34pm

@
NightOwl

Restore First Track 0 restores the first 128 sectors.

Restore First Track AUTO restores the first 63 sectors but only if they have meaningful content. For example, you wipe the HD with random data, restore an OS image (without using Restore First Track) and then create a new OS partition image. Now wipe the HD with zeroes. Restore the newly created image with Restore First Track AUTO. The random content in LBA-1 to LBA-62 won't be restored. But if Restore First Track 0 is used the 127 sectors of random content following LBA-0 will be restored.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print