Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print
reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ?? (Read 204415 times)
henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Re: reliable backup software for Windows 7 - Ghost 10 ??
Reply #120 - Nov 1st, 2012 at 10:15am

NightOwl wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 10:18am:
I was rushing around yesterday getting ready for a 5 day trip out of town--hoped to have time to add my additional thoughts--but, just didn't get everything done as quickly as hoped--packing this morning--so will have to wait until next week for my additional comments.

Hope that doesn't try your patience too much!

There's no rush.
I created an up-to-date XP image today.
An Entire Drive Image is to follow.

Have a safe trip!

henriette  Smiley

The problem's not the computer - the problem sits right in front of it ...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #121 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 2:02am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 7:54am:
I purchased the WinXP-CD. The copy I use is an OEM, however.
Can't remember .. but think I've added SP3 to the original CD, which made it an OEM!

Not sure what you are trying to say here!?  OEM = original equipment manufacturer.  So, if you buy a brand name computer from Dell, or Sony, or Gateway....etc., you are buying an OEM type of system.  The Windows installed on that type of machine by the OEM is considered an OEM Windows license and is often *locked* to that hardware--especially to the motherboard and its BIOS which has a specific motherboard ID associated with it.  You can buy a *retail* copy of Windows that will have its own product activation ID, and that can be installed on an OEM machine--that will work fine.  But, you can not transfer the OEM Windows to another system using the OEM license.  And you can not replace the motherboard on an OEM system with an *identical* motherboard and still use the OEM Windows license--because the replacement motherboard will have a different BIOS ID and will not match the original equipment *lock*.

I replaced the (dead) NIC by an *identical* (same model) Realtek.

Components may have the same *specifications*--but they are not *identical*.  Each NIC will have a specific MAC address that is unique to that particular NIC.  Each new NIC that you purchase and replace will have a different MAC address, and will be seen as a *different* NIC even if all other specifications are the same.

Same thing for CPU's--each will have a unique serial number ID, same for motherboard and its respective BIOS--unique ID's, HDDs will have unique IDs, etc.

I'd changed a lot of hardware in the past 

So, these changes are additive.  When you changed the NIC, you finally had made enough hardware changes that your system now no longer had enough *Yes* votes saying that it was the same system--and it triggered an activation event.

henriette wrote on Oct 29th, 2012 at 9:25am:
Still my computer behaves somewhat slower in booting into windows (and such) since the re-activation, which I did via phone.

Did you re-activate by phone by choice?  It sounds like you probably activated your original installation some time ago (greater than 120 days?)--if so, you should have been able to do the re-activation via the internet *automatically*--because after 120 days, you should not have been required to use the phone re-activation method.

After re-activating XP I noticed that M$ had enabled 'this & that' - which I had tweaked/altered before

As I mentioned before, this doesn't sound like what *normally* happens when an activation is done.  Activation for me has never done something like this!  All's that occurs is a file is placed on the machine that shows it's a valid WinXP installation--no settings are changed during the activation process.

Still my computer behaves somewhat slower in booting into windows 

So, the most common reason a computer boots slower is because something has changed as to what's being loaded during boot up--the more that is being loaded during boot, the more the system is being used and the CPU is being tied up with whatever is involved in the loading of those additional startup programs.

You mentioned: 

I also disabled *dumprep* (on startup) > see links below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/899870/en-us 

Are you getting a *Dumprep.exe error messages*?  Or, why did you mention this?

If you want to see what program(s) during boot are taking up the most time during boot, you can use that same tool mentioned in the above link: 

Quote:
Method 1: Use the System Configuration Utility to disable the Dumprep.exe tool

1.Click Start, click Run, type msconfig in the Open box, and then click OK.

2.Click the Startup tab.

In that *Startup Tab*, you can look through the list of programs being loaded and see if they are really needed or not.  If you don't recognize a program, you can Google it and find out it's function--often you can tell what the program is for by looking at it's path listed in the *Command* column.  You can temporarily disable the program during startup by unchecking it, appling the change, and then rebooting (you will get a message on the next re-boot that you have used the *msconfig* program to disable one or more programs to remind you that you have done this--if you don't want to see the reminder anymore, check the *don't remind* me box).  Many programs are not needed to be loaded during boot.  They often are being loaded to make starting a related program more quickly if you ever need it.  But, often times we never use the program that the startup program is for--at least not often.  So, it can be a waste of boot up time vs being able to load a program you rarely use faster.  Common examples are graphics card control programs and Adobe Reader.

If you want to re-enable the program(s), just run the msconfig program again and re-check the box(es) for those programs you want to load during startup.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #122 - Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:58am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 18th, 2012 at 2:02am:
OEM = original equipment manufacturer.

I'm somewhat confused:
I purchased "Windows XP Professional Edition OEM incl. SP3" - with sticker (Certificate) + Product Key (~ $ 140.- in 2009!).
I installed XP on my self built computer, after I had replaced the (main) HDD with W2k by a brandnew HDD.

Now: if the board and the CPU will fritz out, I have the 'same' [not *identical* < that's why I used the **] board & CPU in store.
Will the below apply in that case ???

you can not replace the motherboard on an OEM system with an *identical* motherboard and still use the OEM Windows license--because the replacement motherboard will have a different BIOS ID and will not match the original equipment *lock*.

According to the above: Worst case > My board & CPU would be dead one fine morning!
What am I supposed to do then ???
NO replacement possible | NO more *retail* XP available  Shocked
What *XP* do I really HAVE  Huh

Did you re-activate by phone by choice?It sounds like you probably activated your original installation some time ago (greater than 120 days?)--if so, you should have been able to do the re-activation via the internet *automatically*--because after 120 days, you should not have been required to use the phone re-activation method.

That's a misunderstanding.
---> AFTER I had turned on my computer, I got the "good morning"  Grin message that I had to re-activate because my system had changed significantly.

T'was THEN that I noticed that I had no access to the internet, and something must be wrong "networkwise".
I was given the choice to re-activate via internet (which of course didn't work)  and using the phone re-activation method.
I had to choose the latter.

Note: I NEVER had to re-activate XP before that day since the original activation in 2009.

AFTER the re-activation I detected that the NIC was dead - although the LEDs was still working. < hence the delay in finding out!
It's been the dead NIC that had triggered an activation event !!

no settings are changed during the activation process.

I dunno why a few settings had changed. Maybe TuneUpUtilities ^didn't like it^  Grin
Meanwhile it's all *repaired*.  Wink

Are you getting a *Dumprep.exe error messages*?Or, why did you mention this?

No errors. I mentioned the deactivation since I've read that it causes high HDD activity (e.g.) - it's recommended to disable it.

I used *msconfig* to accomplish that.

By now I've created backup images of XP AND an up-to-date Entire Drive Image.

I cannot tell for sure (who can ?) if my present system is absolutely clean of viruses and bugs.
That's why I kept all images, of which the older ones (prior to the re-activation) cannot be used anymore  Sad

On the other hand - the system works fine for the time being, particularly since the November Patch Day:
2 patches > they fixed the icons in the taskbar - don't ask me how come Wink [had been wrong icons every now & then, could fix it temporarily (= till reboot) only with TuneupUtilities]

henriette  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #123 - Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:44am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:58am:
I purchased "Windows XP Professional Edition OEM incl. SP3" - with sticker (Certificate) + Product Key (~ $ 140.- in 2009!).
I installed XP on my self built computer, after I had replaced the (main) HDD with W2k by a brandnew HDD.

Well, if the label says its an OEM version--I'm not sure what to say--the fact that you have a Product Key that allowed you to install Windows on your self built system, and it was activated way back when without a warning that your copy of Windows was not *Genuine*--your description is that of a *retail* version of Windows.

So, I would not worry about your motherboard dieing.  You should be able to re-install Windows and activate it without worry.  An OEM version of Windows has one or more files that *locks* the OEM version of Windows to the motherboard BIOS--the OEM manufacturer would have to *change the lock* if you were having to replace the motherboard that came on an OEM system.  But, your system is *NOT* an OEM system!  The OEM manufacturer has to make specific changes to establish the *lock*--and you are not in that situation.

Besides, if you have a recent Ghost backup, and if the replacement motherboard has the same specifications (not *identical*--it will have a unique BIOS ID)--you should be able to simply attach you current HDD and all should continue to run well--may just need to re-activate again.

If your HDD died along with the motherboard, then you would restore the Ghost backup after replacing everything, and everything should be okay.

If you replace with a substantially different motherboard (especially changes to the HDD controller type or brand--then things get more difficult.  If you have a new HDD and new controllers, you can transfer the Ghost image to the new HDD, and you can attempt a *repair* install to get Windows to detect and update the software needed to communicate with the new hardware.  This is full of potential pitfalls--success is questionable at best.  I have done it twice--once successfully and the other *not so much*--I now know that I might have been successful if I had tried a different series of steps--but I never went back to see if I could be successful with that different set of steps.  There's some information that says if you have updated your Internet Explorer above v6.xx, the repair install may fail--the repair install software (it's on the installation CD--so one would have to update the CD--and Microsoft doesn't do that!) has not been updated by Microsoft to take into account the more recent Internet Explorer versions.

But, you are now using Image for DOS.  There is a *bare metal* re-install of its image file that can address installing to another motherboard that has different drivers required compared to the original source motherboard system that the image was taken from.  So, you can probably transfer your current system to the new motherboard using their repair software that can add the needed drivers for the new motherboard system.

All of the this is *advanced* stuff--and you probably will never need to use it.  Don't worry about it for now!  If it becomes necessary--we can probably walk you through the necessary steps. 

Just keep making your regular image backups!

henriette wrote on Nov 18th, 2012 at 5:58am:
T'was THEN that I noticed that I had no access to the internet, and something must be wrong "networkwise".
I was given the choice to re-activate via internet (which of course didn't work)and using the phone re-activation method.
I had to choose the latter.

My mistake!!!  You had already explained that, but I was focused on the other aspects of the problems you were mentioning--and it just did not register in my foggy brain!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #124 - Nov 21st, 2012 at 6:55am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 20th, 2012 at 9:44am:
the fact that you have a Product Key that allowed you to install Windows on your self built system, and it was activated way back when without a warning that your copy of Windows was not *Genuine*--your description is that of a *retail* version of Windows.

So, I would not worry about your motherboard dieing.You should be able to re-install Windows and activate it without worry.

That's wonderful news <relieved>

---> wondering, anyhow, how OEM could be RETAIL at (more or less) the same time ---  but there was no manufacturer who made any changes to establish the *lock*, in my case  Wink
That should explain it.

if you have a recent Ghost backup, and if the replacement motherboard has the same specifications (not *identical*--it will have a unique BIOS ID)--you should be able to simply attach you current HDD and all should continue to run well--may just need to re-activate again.

Smiley

If your HDD died along with the motherboard, then you would restore the Ghost backup after replacing everything, and everything should be okay.

Smiley

you are now using Image for DOS.

I've been using IFL (Linux) for some time now.

If you replace with a substantially different motherboard ...

If the "same" motherboard (got it from Ebays) works, I would not have to replace the present one by a different motherboard.

I really do hope that my present motherboard will be o.k. for another x years. You never know ...  Roll Eyes

All of this is *advanced* stuff--and you probably will never need to use it.Don't worry about it for now!If it becomes necessary--we can probably walk you through the necessary steps.

IF it becomes necessary ... I could not ask you, since NO Windows, no second computer ,,,, that's why I posted possible (future) problems in advance  Wink

Just keep making your regular image backups!

Will do  Smiley

Thank you SO much for making me feel lots better now.
I had been really concerned.

henriette  Kiss  Kiss  Kiss

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #125 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 6:09am

Hiya  Smiley

Since there was no result searching for IFL (Img for Linux) on this forum, and we discussed it here already.

I have *IFL (
Gui!
) v. 2.73*.

I love it! Works excellent!

However, I don't recall if we ever talked about the following:

My present primary HDD [size 500GB, NTFS, 5 partitions].
If - I had to replace the above HDD, I only have 400GB HDDs ['brandnew'  Grin] as replacement!
All of my HDDs are EIDE/PATA (oldies like me).

I've read the 'ifl_en_manual.pdf'. It's far too complicated for me to understand.
It reads e.g.: "command lines ...", "Boot into
BootIt Bare Metal"
 etc. etc. Tongue

--> Image for Linux (
GUI
!) - how to

Mount (?) and resize a new unallocated SMALLER harddisk > restore *EntireDrive image* ... easiest way for me  Huh

>>>> Attachment *.txt - manual.pdf is too long, not accepted.

I hope that BRIAN will read this post, because he taught me all about IFL - not forgetting NIGHTOWL  Cool

[sorry about my English - I'm out of practice  Roll Eyes]

henriette

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #126 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:27am

@
henriette

Hi--how are you doing--must be *okay* because we haven't heard from you lately--welcome back for more.......  Wink

I'm sure Brian will see this and be along--he sometimes goes on extended *fishing* trips--but, he gets back eventually....he will have the definitive answer for this software.

But, I'm betting you don't have to to anything *manually* if you are doing a *whole drive* restore from a *whole drive* image file.  Most likely you simply select the HDD that is the destination, select the image file, and tell the IFL to restore *whole drive* and the program will just do it. 

There has to be enough room on the smaller HDD to hold the data.  I know when using Ghost 2003, after selecting the destination HDD and the source image file, you are given a summary of how Ghost is going to resize the partitions on the destination HDD (whether it's smaller or larger).  You can make any size adjustments that the data size will allow for each partition.  Once done with that you select *Next* and confirm the restore and proceed.

I don't know if IFL has that same ability or not.  If not--you could *manually* partition the new smaller HDD to the size partitions you want (again the size of the data has to fit in each new partition), and then restore each partition separately into each new HDD partition from the image.  Again, I'm not sure IFL lets you do *Partition from Whole Drive Image* restores--but Ghost 2003 does.

Let's see what Brian has to say....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #127 - Jul 7th, 2013 at 3:35pm

@
henriette

As NightOwl indicated, it should be easy. Do an Entire Drive restore and include these Options...

Scale to Fit
   Align to Target

Or you could restore the partitions one at a time to unallocated space and ask IFL to resize the restored partition to your selected size as you go.

Fortunately, your attachment doesn't apply. Everything is done from IFL (GUI).

NighOwl mentions having enough space on the new HD to hold the data. In addition, IFL differs from Ghost 2003 in that it does a sector based rather than a file based restore. So 300 GB of data in a 500 GB partition might not fit in a 400 GB partition.

If  your original partition was....( * is sectors in use, - is free space)

[---**----**--]

then the target partition to restore into can not be smaller than...

[---**----**]

Hopefully this doesn't apply to you. It certainly does to people who want to clone their OS from a 1 TB partition to a small SSD. Here's what they need to do...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554

By the way, the latest version of IFL is 2.82a

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgradehist-image-for-linux.htm

https://terabyteunlimited.com/product-download.php

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #128 - Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:12am

NightOwl wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:27am:
Hi--how are you doing--must be *okay* because we haven't heard from you lately--welcome back for more.......

Thanks for welcoming me.
Each time I'm using IFL I am thinking of you and Brian ... you're always *with me* - so to speak Kiss

Brian wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 3:35pm:
Do an Entire Drive restore and include these Options...

Scale to Fit
Align to Target

Include ??? Where exactly are those options (have to add it to my *instruction.docs)  Huh
*Scale to Fit* + *Align to Tareget* = IFL does it automatically ??

Or you could restore the partitions one at a time to unallocated space and ask IFL to resize the restored partition to your selected size as you go.

Somehow I can't see the difference between the 2 options above - unless in option 1 it's 'automatically', and in option 2 I select the size of each partition, eh  Huh
In latter case I'd say option 2 is the one I need, yeah!

Just to give you some details of the HDDs (sizes taken from Disk Management):

Present HDD (WD5000AAKB-00H8A0) = 500GB [after formatting
465.76GB
]. 5 partitions.

Partition sizes
C:\ [XP] = 14.65GB
D:\ [music] = 410.28GB
E:\ [Email] = 7.81GB
F:\ [EXEs+Treiber+] = 15.63GB
G:\ [Videos] = 17.39GB

New HDD (Seagate Barracuda ST3400620A) = 400GB [after formatting
~ 360GB
- estimated by support!].

Now, the partition sizes would become pretty much the same as now, EXCEPT D:\ - where I'd *cut off* 110GB > 300GB instead of 410GB now.
I do hope 110GB will be enough, taken the "rough estimation" of 360GB! > C:\!!! >>>
see below

D:\ [music] = used space is only 130GB, at present ... so the data will easily fit in a 300GB partition.

Quite another problem:
Is it possible to resize the partitions, starting with partition G:\  ...meaning > last partition first and first partition last ???
That would ensure that ALL of the remaining space would go to C:\ [XP] - must be 15GB to leave enough space!!!!!!
(and thereby, also, the whole capacity of the HDD is being used).

MIND: I don't want the remaining space on G:\!!!!!

And I'd prefer NOT to have to resize the partitions after the *Entire Drive image* restore.

NightOwl wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 9:27am:
do *Partition from Whole Drive Image* restores--but Ghost 2003 does.

Yes, NightOwl, two years ago I restored an *Entire Drive image* with Ghost 2003, after my old HDD had crashed.  Shocked

All went well thanks to you, who taught me how to, and thank goodness I had asked you in time > written a *.doc + printed it   Kiss

This time I had been thinking about restoring C:\ ONLY,,  on a new HDD -> SEAGATE 400GB.
Then copy the other data to each partition.
It's a possibility, yes, but it's not as *comfortable* as  to restore the *Entire Drive image* (IFL) in one go .. more or less, lol.

SSD

I _still_ have EIDE/PATA HDDs, no SSDs (don't think I ever will ... ).
So the link doesn't apply to me, does it ?

By the way, the latest version of IFL is 2.82a

I know, I'm receiving the newsletters.

Do I really need a higher version than 2.73  Huh Huh Huh

It's great being back here ... missed you guys  Grin

henriette 

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #129 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 3:09am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 8th, 2013 at 9:12am:
Include ??? Where exactly are those options (have to add it to my *instruction.docs)Huh
*Scale to Fit* + *Align to Tareget* = IFL does it automatically ??

They are in the IFL Options screen.

Somehow I can't see the difference between the 2 options above

An Entire Drive restore means IFL does one restore. Restoring individual partitions means IFL does five restores.

Do I really need a higher version than 2.73

See http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgradehist-image-for-linux.htm

TeraByte Support says, "It's recommended that all users upgrade to this version."

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #130 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 7:14am

Brian wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 3:09am:
An Entire Drive restore means IFL does one restore. Restoring individual partitions means IFL does five restores.

Which option would you advice me  Huh
Would you mind to add the steps to the instruction
below
?

Brian wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 3:09am:
TeraByte Support says, "It's recommended that all users upgrade to this version."

I've downloaded:
1. IFL v.2.82a (GUI), WITH_Networking.
2. IFL v.2.82a (GUI), WithOUT_Networking.

Which one do I need ?
I assume that the versions are compatible to earlier versions!

Then (Brian's instruction) > To make an IFL (gui) boot disk for a WinXP system...

double click makedisk.exe, next
Default Settings
dot in I accept the agreement, next
enter Producy Key, next
select your CD burner drive letter (you can use a CD-RW or a CD-R disc).
Or USB flash drive.
Finish

ok ?

Here's the next instruction:

To restore an Entire Drive image stored on a USB external HD... Using IFL (gui)

Restore
Normal
File (Direct)
Linux
select your USB HD. It will be last in the list
select the partition
select the folder containing the image
select the image
tick in Entire Drive
Linux
ATA.... (sda) (Be careful here that you are restoring the image to the correct HD)
Yes to the Warning (There won't be a warning if the target HD is empty)
leave the tick in Log Results to File
put a tick in Validate
put a tick in Validate Byte-for-Byte
First Track Sectors AUTO
Start

Now, where do the options - also for resizing etc. - come in ABOVE ?

IS there a possibility to resize the last partition first and the first partition last ?

Note: I dare not try a *simulation* of restoring --- when would I cancel without causing any damage  Tongue

Thank you so much for the effort of teaching me *bit-by-bit*

henriette  Kiss

Edited by NightOwl:  henriette--are you using the *default* forum colors--the one with dark greys and black for a background?  The
dark blue color
i.e. *color=#0000ff* is very hard to read on the black or dark grey background. 
Light Blue
is much easier (or is that turquoise?), as is
Bright Yellow

If you're not using the default grey/black background forum colors, then your dark blue may be appearing much easier to read in one of the other possible forum color styles that can be selected in your User CP (Control Panel).

I edited your above post with the changed colors--how do those look in your forum color scheme?

If I put all the above editing in a *Edit* box which uses a light grey background--then the Dark Blue shows up fine, but does not *stand out* from the black text color as much.  And the Light Blue is harder to see:

Edited:
Edited by NightOwl:  henriette--are you using the *default* forum colors--the one with dark greys and black for a background?  The
dark blue color
i.e. *color=#0000ff* is very hard to read on the black background. 
Light Blue
is much easier (or is that turquoise?), as is
Bright Yellow

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #131 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:02am

@
henriette

henriette wrote on Jul 7th, 2013 at 6:09am:
My present primary HDD [size 500GB, NTFS, 5 partitions].
If - I had to replace the above HDD, I only have 400GB HDDs ['brandnew'] as replacement!All of my HDDs are EIDE/PATA (oldies like me).

and

Quote:
Note: I dare not try a *simulation* of restoring --- when would I cancel without causing any damage

Okay, so you are not looking at this scenario correctly! 

No, you probably do not want to restore an image to your currently installed active *production* 500 GB HDD if you are unsure of the possibility of success because you have never tried it, and you are unsure which *options* to select as part of a restore!

But, you have a *spare* 400 GB HDD!

Yes, it takes a little effort--but you will gain much in confidence if you do the following:  create your backup image of your 500 GB HDD, shut the system down, remove the 500 GB HDD and put the 400 GB HDD in its place, now do a test restore to the 400 GB HDD.  After the restore, re-boot using that 400 GB HDD to the OS and make sure everything is working okay! 

Actually, do multiple restores using the different options--i.e. do a *whole disk* restore, and then do a *partition by partition* restore to see how the options work differently.  After the restore, re-boot from the newly restored 400 GB HDD to test that everything is working correctly.  Each time you do a different restore type procedure, it should be over-writing the previous restore that you used.

Now, you will have *real life* experiences to refer to!  If you run into a problem--you can post a question here about a *real life* problem that you are having.  You can spend an awful lot of time twirling things in your head about *what if*--but, you will never know until you get down and dirty by actually doing the deed!

When you are all done testing the HDD replacement scenarios, shut down, remove the 400 GB HDD and put it on the shelf, replace your 500 GB HDD, re-boot and you now have confidence that you can recover your system to that spare HDD in the future!

(Advanced consideration:  some folks run into issues regarding restoring images to a *used* HDD and what Master Boot Record is in place.  This may come into play if the HDD had been used on different systems and the image restores have been from different OS versions. 

There are ways to truly *zero* the Master Boot Record of the HDD so it appears to be a brand new, off the shelf HDD.  If you are restoring images to the HDD that has only been used on your one system, and you are not changing from one OS to a new one, then it is unlikely there will ever be any problem with this.

But, like I said, there are ways to deal with this if it's ever necessary--but most likely you don't have to worry about this at all!)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #132 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 4:01pm

@
henriette

Excellent idea from NightOwl. Use your 400 GB HD to actually do the restores. A great way to learn.

henriette wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 7:14am:
1. IFL v.2.82a (GUI), WITH_Networking.
2. IFL v.2.82a (GUI), WithOUT_Networking.

Which one do I need ?

It doesn't matter which one you use. I use the first one as I occasionally use networking.

henriette wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 7:14am:
Now, where do the options - also for resizing etc. - come in ABOVE ?

On the same screen where you see the Validate options. The new options I mentioned in this thread aren't needed if you are restoring an Entire drive image to the same HD. They are only needed if you are restoring an Entire drive image to a new HD that is a different size from the old HD.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #133 - Jul 9th, 2013 at 8:42pm

Some info on the Scale to Fit option with an Entire drive restore...

Quote:
Scale to Fit – On FAT, FAT32, NTFS, or EXT 2/3/4 file systems, selecting this option will make Image for Linux assume that the size of the original hard drive is based on the location of the end of the last partition; Image for Linux then applies the same scaling to the target hard drive. If any unpartitioned space existed at the end of the source drive, that unpartitioned space won’t exist on the target drive after you restore your image. This option has no effect on images restored to hard drives using other file systems.

Quote:
Automatic Scaling Restrictions

Disables scaling of partitions that are the lesser of 1/8 the drive size or 15GiB when Scale to Fit or Scale to Target are used.

IP Logged

henriette
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Heidelberg Germany

Reply #134 - Jul 10th, 2013 at 5:14am

Brian wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 4:01pm:
It doesn't matter which one you use. I use the first one as I occasionally use networking.

Ok, then I'll take *IFL v.2.82a (GUI), WITH_Networking*.

Excellent idea from NightOwl. Use your 400 GB HD to actually do the restores. A great way to learn.

Yeah, I'll have to dig the 400GB HDD out from wherever I stored it years ago - packed in boxes + plastic-wrapped non-transparent Grin

Where do the options come in:
On the same screen where you see the Validate options. The new options I mentioned in this thread aren't needed if you are restoring an Entire drive image to the same HD. They are only needed if you are restoring an Entire drive image to a new HD that is a different size from the old HD

AH! Thanks a lot  Wink I wouldn't have known.

Brian wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 8:42pm:
Scale to Fit option with an Entire drive restore

selecting this option will make Image for Linux assume that the size of the original hard drive is based on the location of the end of the last partition; Image for Linux then applies the same scaling to the target hard drive. If any unpartitioned space existed at the end of the source drive, that unpartitioned space won’t exist on the target drive after you restore your image.

I don't get that ...  read it over & over ... what exactly does it mean regarding the partition sizes of MY new 400GB HDD - AND in what order will the partitions be resized ... or is there no need at all to resize in my case ... ?
Meaning > since D:\ will be 300GB instead of presently 410GB, the data, however, are only 130GB > NO need for resizing ?
And to which partition will the remaining space be *reallocated*  Embarrassed Please let me know the answer to this subject, which I've asked twice, already].

Automatic Scaling Restrictions

Disables scaling of partitions that are the lesser of 1/8 the drive size or 15GiB when Scale to Fit or Scale to Target are used. 

Huh 

I lack that (among other things) ...

NightOwl wrote on Jul 9th, 2013 at 10:02am:
You can spend an awful lot of time twirling things in your head about *what if*--but, you will never know until you get down and dirty by actually doing the deed!

How can I even try a restore without the basic knowledge!

I'm truly sorry for my lack in understanding ...

henriette Embarrassed

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 
Send Topic Print