Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
ghost 12 copy hard drive (Read 47550 times)
U Look Like U Saw A Ghost
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ballymena, Northern Ireland

Re: ghost 12 copy hard drive
Reply #30 - May 8th, 2013 at 9:43am

rleescott wrote on Apr 23rd, 2013 at 4:54pm:
Are you aware of free software that will erase a drive to return it to unallocated space

Here's what I do, if I want to clone with Ghost 2003.

These steps did not work on my flash drive under XP but, may work with a USB HDD.

Windows can zero your disk, by using Diskpart.

Open a Command Prompt window & type Diskpart.
Type List Disk & List Volume to see & identify your drives.
Type Select Disk # (where # represents the number of your uSB drive).
Type Clean All to zero your drive.

Remember to press Enter to execute each command.

You may need to initialize the disk before Ghost will recognize it.

to do this, open Disk Management, right click the drive & select Initialize.

Do not create any Partitions.

Type Exit before closing Command Prompt, done.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - May 8th, 2013 at 1:10pm

@

What advantage do you find by using "clean /all" over using "clean"? Just curious.

IP Logged

Dude

I Love Radified!

Ballymena, Northern Ireland

Reply #32 - May 8th, 2013 at 5:30pm

Reading the description when I type help, I believe clean clears the partition table but, leaves the partitions intact, while Clean All zeros the entire disk.

There is no difference in the practical end result.

Just apreference.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - May 10th, 2013 at 4:15am

Yes, "clean" zeroes the first 2048 sectors. (on both cylinder aligned and MB aligned partitioned drives)

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #34 - May 10th, 2013 at 10:01am

@
U Look Like U Saw A Ghost and
@
Brian

Okay, folks....I'm using WinXP (still) and opened a command window and ran *Diskpart* and used *diskpart ?* to list the various commands available.  It was very *unclear* what the *clear* command does!

Looking for other references, I found these:

DiskPart Command-Line Options

A Description of the Diskpart Command-Line Utility

Quote:
Removes any and all partition or volume formatting from the disk with focus. On master boot record (MBR) disks, only the MBR partitioning information and hidden sector information are overwritten. On GUID partition table (GPT) disks, the GPT partitioning information, including the Protective MBR, is overwritten; there is no hidden sector information.

all

Specifies that each and every sector on the disk is zeroed, which completely deletes all data contained on the disk.

Quote:
and hidden sector information

Well, that's *clear* as mud as to what DiskPart is doing!

U Look Like U Saw A Ghost wrote on May 8th, 2013 at 5:30pm:
There is no difference in the practical end result.

Well, most certainly there is a difference!!!! (Well, okay in the sense of the *practical end result* there may be *no difference*--but, it's potentially a long time coming!!!!)  You will have to wait up to several hours for the *clean all* command to finish zeroing the entire HDD!  This reference:  How to "Clean" or "Clean All" a Disk with the Diskpart Command , states....

Quote:
"Clean All" takes about an hour per 320 GB to finish running

Brian wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 4:15am:
Yes, "clean" zeroes the first 2048 sectors. (on both cylinder aligned and MB aligned partitioned drives) 

Where did you find that information--I couldn't find anything that clearly specifies that result!  I would have to think that *Diskpart* on a WinXP system would not necessarily be 2048 sector aware (WinXP came out in the early 2000's and I believe it pre-dated using the 2048 sector alignment that has become the *default* if you let the newer versions of Windows format your HDD before installation)!  Is there more than one version of *Diskpart* with different outcomes?  (Just like *fdisk* has evolved over the years since its inception back in the DOS only era!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #35 - May 10th, 2013 at 2:20pm

NightOwl,

I haven't used WinXP diskpart. I know it doesn't support USB drives but I'm not sure of the other differences.

NightOwl wrote on May 10th, 2013 at 10:01am:
Where did you find that information--I couldn't find anything that clearly specifies that result!

Personal testing.

A practical example of diskpart usage. I installed my Win8 OS from a flash drive. 8 minutes for the entire install and much faster than a DVD install.

1. Plug in your USB device

2. Start an Administrator mode Command Prompt. To do this, click on the Start button, then All Programs, then Accessories. Right-click on the Command Prompt item and select Run as administrator from the pop-up menu. If a UAC prompt is displayed, click the Yes button.

3. Find the drive number of your USB Drive by typing the following into the Command Prompt window:

diskpart
      list disk

The number of your USB drive will be listed. You’ll need this for the next step.  I’ll assume that the USB device is disk 3.

4. Format the drive by typing the following instructions into the same window. Replace the number “3” with the number of your disk.

list disk    (already done)
      select disk 3
      list disk    (do this to confirm. There will be a Star next to the selected disk)
      clean
      create partition primary
      select partition 1
      active
      format fs=NTFS quick  (or FAT32, FAT)
      assign
      exit

Now simply copy/paste all files and folders from the Win 7 or 8 DVD to the flash drive. Now the flash drive is bootable. You can use the same method for creating a Ghost 15 bootable flash drive.

Diskpart versions....

WinXP is   5.1.3565
Win7 is     6.1.7601
Win8 is     6.2.9200

Edit... You can run diskpart from a WinPE disk as well as from Windows. For example, Win7, Win8, Ghost 15, Active @ Boot Disk, the TeraByte Unlimited WinPE disks.

Edit... I just checked a GPT disk. "Clean" zeroes the first 2048 sectors.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print