Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Backing-up after existing Image Files have been defragmentated (Read 9070 times)
fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Backing-up after existing Image Files have been defragmentated
Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:00am

I backed up my complete system this morning, a weekly job.  I keep two generations of back up.

Unusually, last night I defragged all my discs, ie including the various Image Files.

I noticed that all the previous generations of Images, together with the associated incremental images had not been retained, leaving only today's Recovery Points.

Does this mean I should omit the defragging of the Image Files?

It seems to make sense to me, as perhaps the defragging may mix up the integrity of the disc access tables.

Regards

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Backing-up after existing Image Files have been defragmentated
Reply #1 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:10am

@
fotobits

What version of Ghost are you using?

Quote:

Probably!

Your files may still be there, just not under the currently *automatically managed* file listing.  You should be able to tell Ghost to find a file set manually.  Or use Windows Explorer or My Computer and look to see if your files are still there.

Is your image set(s) still there?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

fotobits
Dude

Stratford-upon-Avon UK

Reply #2 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 2:12pm

NightOwl wrote on Sep 2nd, 2013 at 10:10am:
@
fotobits

What version of Ghost are you using?

Quote:

Probably!

Your files may still be there, just not under the currently *automatically managed* file listing.  You should be able to tell Ghost to find a file set manually.  Or use Windows Explorer or My Computer and look to see if your files are still there.

Is your image set(s) still there?

Thank you NightOwl, I use Ghost 15 and, yes you're right, the proceeding files in their Image Sets are still present, just not managed by Ghost, I guess.

I've just noticed that Ghost 15 will not be supported after Win 7.  I'm disappointed.  Although I don't plan to move from Win 7, perhaps we ought to change sooner rather than later.

What are your thoughts?  Any recommendations?

Regards....

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 4:29am

@
fotobits

Quote:
I've just noticed that Ghost 15 will not be supported after Win 7.  I'm disappointed.  Although I don't plan to move from Win 7, perhaps we ought to change sooner rather than later.

What are your thoughts?  Any recommendations?

Unfortunately, Symantec appears to have decided not to continue the *Ghost* name franchise:  Retail Ghost has been Discontinued

As John. mentions in his reply #1, Symantec's replacement is Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition .  The pricing is pretty steep however--my effort shows the online price for one license to be $84.87.  Ouch!

My recommendation--consider moving to TeraByte's group of Image for Windows, DOS, and Linux .  Here's the pricing page:  Image for Windows: Purchase

I recomend the *Bundle* deal with the *BootIt Bare Metal* program.  Note:

Quote:
Personal or Home Use Bonus: Each single license purchased for non-business-use covers up to three computers.

Sure beats Symantec's pricing!

Our great contributor here, Brian, has been singing the praise for that company's imaging program for years now, and I think he is spot on--Symantec has abandoned their user base--it's time to abandon Symantec.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print