Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost Replacement For GPT HDD? (Read 50405 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost Replacement For GPT HDD?
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2013 at 11:18am

To All

I edited a previous post with an updated link to a discussion about what Ghost 2003 does to the MBR when the virtual partition is used--just wanted to alert everyone to that change:

NightOwl wrote on Dec 24th, 2013 at 10:16am:
(Edit 12/26/2013:  found it! How to Recover from Lost Windows Partition with Ghost 2003--have to read thru it to see what we found regarding Ghost 2003 and the virtual partition and its MBR.) 

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:17am

@
NightOwl

Just got home from Cambodia. A very interesting country.

NightOwl wrote on Dec 26th, 2013 at 10:19am:
So, if Big_Al were to switch to Image for Linux, can he add scripts to that boot disc that will act like what he currently has set up--he just puts a CD in the system's optical drive, and the backup or restore (depending on which disc he uses) is automatically performed.

Yes, a script can run automatically or you can choose one from a menu.

but does Image for DOS have the same abilities

Yes. They are interchangeable with a MBR dystem. However, IFL works better than IFD with USB HDs and IFL is usually "faster" than IFD. IFL accesses the USB HD directly rather than via the BIOS.

With a UEFI system, IFD won't boot unless Secure Boot is disabled and the BIOS set to Legacy.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=572

but are there different limitations that force one to use only one or the other of the different Image programs--in particular in relations to the GPT partitioned HDDs? 

No. Use your favourite. See above for UEFI systems.

I use IFL to do my auto restores. I have IFL installed in a HD partition so I can initiate the restore while I'm still in Windows and BootNow will cause the computer to restart into IFL. IFL is about 10% faster than IFW and 50% faster than IFD, in my computer. But you can do auto restores using IFW or IFD in a similar fashion.

The latest IFL allows you to add scripts to the USB flash drive after the UFD has been created. Previous versions required the scripts to be added at UFD creation time. I know you like to create cold backups so you could have an IFL menu containing backup and restore scripts.

The scripts are easy to create. Just run through the Backup or Restore menu, click Show Command, Save to File, save to the Scripts folder on the UFD. Here is one of my restore scripts...

Code:
#! /bin/sh        
/tbu/imagel --r --uy --um --d:#0x3B32414D@0x1 --f:#0x3F839CB4@0x2:"/Tera/W8_single/w8ssd" --v --vb --wco --rb:4

I use DiskIDs rather than Drive numbers. The --wco switch restores changed sectors only. Nice to use with SSDs as you might only need to restore 100 MB of data instead of 20 GB.

--v is validate pre restore
--vb is validate Byte for Byte post restore
--rb:4 is Reboot
0x3B32414D@0x1 is the Win8 partition on the SSD
0x3F839CB4@0x2 is the backup image partition on the backup HD

Using Drive numbers, the above script would be...

Code:
#! /bin/sh        
/tbu/imagel --r --uy --um --d:l0@0x1 --f:l2@0x2:"/Tera/W8_single/w8ssd" --v --vb --wco --rb:4

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Jan 2nd, 2014 at 5:28pm

Further to Reply #16. You can do cold image/restore without using a boot disk or having an extra partition. The "bootfile" method...

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-ifd-bootfile.htm

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-ifl-bootfile.htm

These tutorials were written for old software versions. It is easier with the current versions. Especially IFL GUI rather than CUI.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #19 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 10:21am

@
Brian

Brian wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 12:17am:
Just got home from Cambodia.

You visit some interesting places!  Vacation, business, other??????

Brian wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 2:44am:
Any particular reason why you have started so many threads and provided feedback to none?

I noticed that Big_Al has been to our site several times this last week.  Unfortunately, he has not responded to any of our questions that would better clarify what he is trying to accomplish with his imaging software, and his new 3 TB HDD.

I can understand his posting to more than one forum--I'm assuming he's hoping someone at a particular forum, who may not visit other sites, might have a better answer he's looking for--but, his non-response to further the conversations sure makes it hard.....

Brian wrote on Jan 2nd, 2014 at 5:28pm:
Further to Reply #16.

Thanks for your input on automating the TeraByte Image programs...those are some interesting links.

Quoting from this link:  http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/howto/howto-ifl-bootfile.htm

Quote:
The IFL boot menu shown above is the same as the standard IFL boot menu, with the exception of item 4. The purpose of item 4 is to provide an easy method of restoring the original MBR should IFL fail to boot (hang) on a particular system. This situation should be rare, but it would leave you in a difficult predicament if it did occur, since you would not be able to get back into your normal OS after attempting to boot IFL. If this does happen, item 4 is provided so that you can choose it (type 4, then press <Enter>) to restore the original MBR. The system will be back to normal on the next reboot.

So, this technique by TeraByte uses the same method as Ghost's Windows interface that creates the *virtual partition* where during the Windows setup phase, the MBR is replaced by the Ghost MBR. 

TeraByte's Windows interface apparently does the same thing of replacing the MBR to it's own MBR before leaving Windows to do the imaging procedure.  And, replaces that TeraByte MBR with the *original* MBR before booting back to Windows.  That item #4 is the equivalent to the *ghreboot.exe* program used if you get trapped in the *virtual partition*-- I'm guessing.

Interesting.....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 2:45pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 10:21am:
So, this technique by TeraByte uses the same method as Ghost's Windows interface that creates the *virtual partition* where during the Windows setup phase, the MBR is replaced by the Ghost MBR.

I had another look at this method and it differs slightly from the Ghost method. I used a computer with Win7 boot code. This code was replaced by WinXP code for the boot into IFL and the code was changed back to Win7 when IFL loaded. As you point out, this boot code change happens in Ghost 2003 too.

But the difference with this method is a spare MBR partition slot isn't needed. It works if all four slots are in use. I ran the IFL batch file and checked the partition table prior to IFL booting. There was only one entry in the partition table, the 64 MB FAT16 partition containing IFL. Its starting LBA indicated it was "in the middle" of my large Data partition. It is interesting.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 5:26pm

@
NightOwl

NightOwl wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 10:21am:
You visit some interesting places!Vacation, business, other??????

Vacation. Late December was the only time our family had common free time.

At Phnom Penh...

pp.jpg (191 KB | 725 )
pp.jpg

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Jan 6th, 2014 at 6:43pm

One automation method I have used with the IFL bootfile method....

The ifl.bin contains a script folder and IFL_BOOT.CFG. Custom files can be copied using TBOSDT to make ifl.bin do different things.

Code:
open fs 0: C:\IFLBOOT\ifl.bin
del file 0:scripts\* /q
copy file brian 0:scripts /q
copy file IFL_BOOT.CFG 0: /q
close fs 0:

The brian script is

Quote:
#! /bin/bash
/tbu/imagel --r --uy --d:l0@0x2 --base:l2@0x2:"/Images/SSD/WinXP" --f:l2@0x2:"/Images/SSD/brian" --v --vb

IFL_BOOT.CFG is

Quote:
RUNSCRIPTS=(brian)
TIMEZONE="Australia/Sydney"

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #23 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 7:28pm

@
Brian

Hey Brian--good looking family you've got there!

I envy the clothes--shorts and light shirts--around here it's heavy winter coats and more often than not--rain gear!

Brian wrote on Jan 6th, 2014 at 6:43pm:
The brian script is

Quote:
#! /bin/bash
/tbu/imagel --r --uy --d:l0@0x2 --base:l2@0x2:"/Images/SSD/WinXP" --f:l2@0x2:"/Images/SSD/brian" --v --vb

Makes me smile  Smiley !  I remember quite some time ago you said you had trouble following the cryptic nature of DOS command lines in the config.sys and autoexec.bat!  I think the TeraByte Image programs may have a leg up on those DOS commands!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Jan 12th, 2014 at 9:29pm

@
NightOwl

Thanks for the kind words.

Regarding DOS, most of what I've learned over the years has been from posts you and Dan have submitted in this forum. Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #25 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 2:56pm

@
Brian

Quote:
Regarding DOS, most of what I've learned over the years has been from posts you and Dan have submitted in this forum. Thanks.

You're most welcome.

Too bad Big_Al has not returned to this thread!  I was hoping to hear what he finally decided on doing, and hearing what avenues he tried, and what results he may have had.

Oh, well......

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print