Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 or something better for Windows 7 & 8? (Read 46891 times)
Cookie Jar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Tottenham ON Canada

Ghost 2003 or something better for Windows 7 & 8?
Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:15am

I have Ghost 2003, which I have been using on my 14 year old computer for many years backing up XPp using Ghost on a floppy.

I have now gotten a 6 year old PC (Core 2 Quad, SATA) with only Windows 7 installed on a single partition 1TB drive.  Besides making an image for recovery, I would also like to plunk my Windows 7 from the 1TB drive to a 250GB SSD which would then become my main drive, assuming its performance is as snappy as advertised.  Option A seems like a lot of trouble.  Option B would be nice.

A Option:
1.  Would Ghost 2003 be able to clone Windows 7 from a 1TB drive to a 250GB drive?

2.  I assume I would install Ghost 2003 in my 14 year old PC's hard drive, somehow upgrade to build 789 and then build 793 so it would work with SATA drives.

3. Could I then make a bootable CD with Ghost on it, or would I still use floppies on a USB floppy drive on the newer system?

4.  What's the 100MB SRP about?

5.  What's dsp all about?

B Option:
1.  Is there a friendly outboard image/restore program that would do the above job as quickly as Ghost, that you would recommend instead?  I don't like cluttering up my hard drive with programs and would prefer a bootable CD/DVD with the program on it.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 2003 or something better for Windows 7 & 8?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 10:26am

@
Cookie Jar

How much Free Space is on the 1 TB HD?

You need to maintain 2048 sector alignment when copying/restoring to the SSD.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=554

IP Logged

Cookie Jar
N00b

I Love Radified!

Tottenham ON Canada

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 11:45am

The 1TB unpartitioned drive was loaded by the dealer with Windows 7 platinum, as well as the usual drivers, Adobe Acrobat, DVD burner software (Nero, Lightscribe and Cyberlink Power DVD) as well as AVG anti-virus.
There's 31.9GB of space used (931GB free) -  0% fragmentation.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2014 at 3:16pm

@
Cookie Jar

Cookie Jar wrote on Mar 10th, 2014 at 9:15am:
What's the 100MB SRP about?

Do you see this partition in Disk Management?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Mar 11th, 2014 at 3:16pm

Sorry, we've been caught before by people thinking they didn't have a SRP because they couldn't see it in Windows Explorer, so I always ask about Disk Management. The SRP is the Active partition when it is present and it contains the booting files. When there is no SRP the Windows 7 partition is Active and contains the booting files.

If you use Ghost 2003 to do an Entire Drive clone from the HD to the SSD, Win7 will not load due to BCD issues. But there are tricks you can use to make it work. Ghost 2003 doesn't do sector based restores so the sector spread problem described in my link doesn't apply. Most recent imaging apps do sector based restores and some work needs to be done on the source partition prior to its being transferred to a smaller partition.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2014 at 11:12pm

@
Brian

Don't you hate it when they disappear? 

I wonder if Cookie Jar will be back--oh, well.....

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2014 at 5:09pm

I hate it, when an interesting thread that I have the answer to, just dies on the vine, so to speak.

Oh well......

Y'all have Happy Holidays now, y'hear?

Old Casper  Cool

A man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2015 at 12:47pm

WELL, it's been a while, and I'm still using my old Ghost 11.5 to back up everything from XP to Windows 8.1, with narry a problem.

Why upgrade, when I have something just works so well?

Happy 2015 Everyone!

the spook
Cool

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Mar 11th, 2015 at 4:29pm

Newsflash!!!

Ghost 11.5 also works to back up Windows 10 Technical Preview.

Casper Cool

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 1:46am

Does it work if Win8 and Win10 are installed in UEFI mode? All brand name computers will have the OS installed in this mode.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:06pm

Couldn't that be changed to IDE mode in BIOS if it is installed in UEFI mode?  I installed Win8.1 to dual boot WinXP recently, and I had to switch BIOS setting for WinXP to boot after which the installed Win8.1 still boots.

I use Seagate Discwizard version 11 to backup and restore WinXP and Win8.1, but that version of Discwizard doesn't see any drives if BIOS is set to UEFI mode.  Dicwizard version 13 is supposed to work in UEFI mode which it does if it works.  I've experienced failure to restore with Discwizard 13 and no longer try to use it.  There's a newer Discwizard 16 that I've not tried yet.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 1:18pm

@
Tator

Your BIOS is running in MBR (Legacy) mode and not UEFI mode. Both OS are installed in MBR mode.

If Win8 is installed in UEFI mode it can be converted to MBR mode and there is a discussion in this thread...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1387093842/0

Reply #8 onwards.

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #12 - May 6th, 2015 at 10:37am

I just built a NEW PC and installed Windows 8.1 Pro., X86 on it.
Yesterday, I backed it up, checked the backup file and then did a Restore, all using Ghost 11.5 (DOS), and everything worked perfectly.
I boot Ghost 11.5 from either a CD or Flash Drive.

I've also used the same Ghost 11.5 to back up different builds of Windows 10 which I'm testing, on two laptops..... the x86 version on an old Dell, and the x64 version on a slightly newer HP.

NO!  Ghost 2003 will not work on these newer OS's.  But Ghost 11.5 is readily available.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - May 6th, 2015 at 7:37pm

@
OldCasper

Did you install Win8.1 in UEFI or Legacy MBR mode? I'm interested to know if Ghost 11.5 will successfully restore an image of Win8.1 installed in UEFI mode to a new, empty HD.

The beta Ghost Solution Suite 3.0 is able to restore an image of Win8.1 installed in UEFI mode to a new, empty HD. You could call this Ghost 12. There is no DOS restore environment anymore; the restore is done from a WinPE. The WinPE can only boot in Legacy MBR mode and not in UEFI mode which presents a problem if your computer can't boot in Legacy MBR mode. I have 3 computers which can't boot in Legacy MBR mode

IP Logged

OldCasper
Technoluster

I Love Ghost!

Florida, USA

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2015 at 9:27am

Really I can't say.
My new Gigabyte mobo has two settings in the bios....one is for Windows 8 and the only other option is simply "Other OS".  I guess that would mean, XP, Vista and Windows 7.
However, when I try to do a clean install of XP, it goes to a certain point in the install and then does a BSOD.  So I've been forced to upgrade my everyday OS to Windows 8.1.
But that's OK.....because with the "Classic Shell" and a few tweaks of my own, 8.1 looks and feels almost exactly like XP-Pro-SP3.   Cool
I even re-activated Windows Mail, which looks and acts almost exactly like Outlook Express6, which I've used for many, many years.

But the beauty of Ghost 11.5 is that it doesn't seem to care what's on the HD.  Even Linux or Windows Server will back up, with nary a whimper. Smiley

I did an internet search again yesterday, for Ghost 11.5 ISO and lo and behold I found one.  For FREE.
And, it was 100% malware free.
I downloaded the ISO, burned it to a CD and booted up my windows 8.1 machine with it.
It worked perfectly, for both a backup and a restore.  Exactly what I expected.

I feel like too many people look for problems where they don't exist.  K.I.S.S.!!!

:cool:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print