Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Imaging UEFI-systems
Reply #15 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 3:07pm

@
Christer

I'm in NSW but...

Quote:
Daylight Saving Time (DST) is the practice of advancing clocks one hour during the warmer months of the year. In Australia, Daylight saving is observed in New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania, and the Australian Capital Territory.

Daylight saving is not observed in Queensland, the Northern Territory or Western Australia.

Daylight Saving Time begins at 2am on the first Sunday in October, when clocks are put forward one hour. It ends at 2am (which is 3am Daylight Saving Time) on the first Sunday in April, when clocks are put back one hour.

When your laptop arrives can you post a screenshot of Disk Management? This should give us an idea of which partitions to backup. Typically Win10 has 4 partitions when you do your own install. The MSR doesn't show in Disk Management. Your laptop will probably have extra OEM partitions. The typical partitions are...

Recovery 450 MiB
EFI System 99 MiB
Microsoft System Reserved 16 MiB
Win10

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #16 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 3:28pm

@
Brian

When the laptop arrives, I'll start a new thread with the screenshot in the first post.

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #17 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 3:43pm

@
Brian

I have created Images without compression to compare with the first ones. To recapitulate:

Quote:
I created an Image of my XP-partition booted from IFL: size 10893 MB, time to create 3min51sec, time to verify 3min58sec, file size (tbi) 8090 MB.

I created an Image of my XP-partition booted from Win7, using IFW: size 10879 MB, time to create 4min56sec and another 18sec to write "cache" or whatever it said, time to verify 4min14sec, file size (TBI) 8089 MB.

The second run without compression:

IFL: size 10838 MB, time to create 5min11sec, time to verify 5min20sec, file size (tbi) 10839 MB.

IFW: size 10824 MB, time to create 6min31sec and another 15sec to write "cache", time to verify 6min15sec, file size (TBI) 10825 MB.

The difference, approximately 25% in time to create, corresponds to the difference in file size.

I have always run Ghost 2003 without compression. The reason is that it was said to reduce the risk of errors, compression and/or decompression. I assume that today, those risks are reduced ... Lips Sealed ... or maybe not?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 3:47pm

@
Christer

TBOSDT Pro (Free) provides useful information too.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/tbosdt.htm

Unzip and open the win folder. Right click tbosdtw.exe and run as Admin. Enter..

LIST HD 0 /f /u

Here is my new SSD, bought last week. Multi-boot.

ssd.PNG (30 KB | 636 )
ssd.PNG

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 4:02pm

Also, from an Admin Command Prompt enter...

winver

If it's not Version 1511 you can do a manual update rather than waiting for a Windows Update. Similar to what you have already done.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #20 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 4:03pm

@
Brian

Thanks for that. I've been at TeraBytes before, 5-10 years ago and downloaded some free stuff. I tested some of it and still have it stashed away:

From 2005:
diskinfo.zip
DOSDROP.ZIP
editbini.zip
imgflpyd.zip
makedisk.zip
MBRWORK.ZIP
PARTINFO.ZIP

From 2010:
bootitng.zip
copywipe.zip
copywipew.zip