Imaging UEFI-systems (Read 26476 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Imaging UEFI-systems
Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:38pm

@
Christer

I've tested the lot in UEFI system and only two or three don't work when restoring an entire drive image to a new, empty HD. My preference is for the TeraByte Unlimited software and as you are an offline backup guy I think Image for Linux would suit. But don't buy it until you have tested as I think The TeraByte Bundle is the best valued software around.

You can test with your current computer.

Making an IFL UFD...

Download the free 30-day trial of Image for Linux (GUI) (FTP) from....  (be careful you don't download the CUI)

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/downloads-image-for-linux.htm

unzip
double click makedisk.exe, next
Traditional- You have control over options. (Custom)
next
dot in I accept the agreement, next
Global Geometry----tick in Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries
next
ignore Miscellaneous Global, next
ignore Additional ifl.ini Options, next
Normal Boot, next
another Normal Boot, next
select the drive letter of the UFD
USB Layout... Partition - FAT/FAT32 partition
Geometry Calculation Method... Use Device
Finish

Backup a single partition

Backup
Full Backup
Linux
sda (should be your first internal HD)
choose partition to backup
File (Direct)
Linux
sdb (should be your USB external HD) (it could be sdc if you have 2 internal drives)
choose destination partition or volume
accept the Name
in Options, accept the three choices already with ticks
Start

Restore a single partition

Restore
Normal
File (Direct)
Linux
sdb (should be your USB external HD)
choose partition or volume containing the backup (use double clicks)
select the backup image
on the Select Item to Process window you will have ticks in Partial and the Partition
Linux
sda (should be your first internal HD)
select the partition to over-write
Yes
in Options, leave the one choice selected. Nothing else should be needed when over-writing the partition. If restoring to an empty non partitioned drive I'd recommend..
Set Active, Restore First Track
Start

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Ghost 2003 from bootable UFD
Reply #1 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:47pm

@
Brian

I think that I'll split Your last post from this topic and start a new one with a proper title. Next, I'll do as I've been told to ... Shocked ... !

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Re: Imaging UEFI-systems
Reply #2 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:55pm

@
Brian

Now ... Embarrassed ... You are the thread starter and I'll follow your suggestions ... Wink ... but I have an initial question:

Quote:
You can test with your current computer.
>>>
Global Geometry----tick in Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries

My current system is cylinder aligned to work with Ghost 2003. Am I missing the obvious?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:56pm

@
Christer

You will see TeraByte Unlimited has 3 imaging apps.

Image for Windows
Image for DOS
Image for Linux

They all create and restore the same images. IFL is the fastest (in most computers).

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:58pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Mar 25th, 2016 at 3:55pm:
My current system is cylinder aligned to work with Ghost 2003. Am I missing the obvious?

Then don't "tick in Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries". Sorry.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #5 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 4:00pm

@
Brian

Thanks, I''ll look into it later. Right now, I'm tired and it's bedtime in a while.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Mar 25th, 2016 at 9:04pm

@
Christer

Don't be intimidated by UEFI. It's not so hard to master. Image/Restore is only marginally different from a MBR system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn640535%28v=vs.85%29.
aspx

Regarding  "tick in Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries". By all means don't use a tick but even if you do use a tick your Cylinder Aligned partitions will still be Cylinder Aligned when restored. If you do "tick in Align Partitions on 1MiB Boundaries" then you have to select "Align to Target" to really restore a Cylinder Aligned partition as 1MiB aligned. Confusing. Basically, if you have a Cylinder Aligned partition imaged then it will restore as Cylinder aligned and if you have a 1MiB aligned partition then it will restore as 1 MiB aligned. "Align to Target" is rarely used as it changes alignment. "Align to Target" is for Entire Drive restores, not partition restores. If you wanted to transfer a cylinder aligned system on a HD to a SSD then you would use "Align to Target" as you would want 1MiB alignment.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 2:37am

@
Christer

IFL (version 2) has been upgraded about 100 times since being released 8 years ago. All upgrades were free.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/upgradehist-image-for-linux.htm

IFL is licensed for three home computers.

The Special Bundle I referred to above is a combination of all TereaByte Unlimited software. But I realize that even waterboarding won't make you use Image for Windows. You can use a BootIt Bare Metal license in IFL to do Partitioning Work in UEFI and MBR systems. Unfortunately there is no Boot Manager for a UEFI system.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:05pm

@
Brian

Quote:
"Align to Target" is for Entire Drive restores, not partition restores. If you wanted to transfer a cylinder aligned system on a HD to a SSD then you would use "Align to Target" as you would want 1MiB alignment.

Good to know. This issue is the reason (cylinder alignment detrimental to performance on SSD) I have held off buying a SSD for my desktop. Now, with Image for Linux there's no need for cylinder alignment.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:17pm

@
Christer

If you wanted to do a partition restore of a cylinder aligned partition on a HD to a SSD and have a 1MiB aligned partition...

Create a 1MiB aligned partition on the SSD and restore your image into that partition.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:47pm

@
Brian

Quote:
The Special Bundle I referred to above is a combination of all TereaByte Unlimited software. But I realize that even waterboarding won't make you use Image for Windows.

Well, I tested both IFL and IFW, no waterboarding ... Grin ... just a few beers.

The reason I have kept on using Ghost 2003 is the possibility to do imaging and restoring booted from a floppy or as of lately, UFD. The system that is being imaged or restored is not booted. I can do that with IFL and it works fine.

However, on my dual boot system, I can install IFW on both WinXP and Win7. I can image and restore the Win7 partition booted from WinXP and the Win XP partition booted from Win7. Et voilà ... Wink ... imaging and restoring a system that is not booted.

I created an Image of my XP-partition booted from IFL: size 10893 MB, time to create 3min51sec, time to verify 3min58sec, file size (tbi) 8090 MB.

I created an Image of my XP-partition booted from Win7, using IFW: size 10879 MB, time to create 4min56sec and another 18sec to write "cache" or whatever it said, time to verify 4min14sec, file size (TBI) 8089 MB.

IFL was a bit quicker than IFW but You had already told me that.

About sizes, my notes from the most recent Ghost 2003 Image: 16582 MB used - 6144 MB (minimum size of the pagefile) = 10438 MB which is the approximate combined gho/ghs file sizes (10480 MB).

Currently, used space on that drive is 17101 MB - 6144 = 10957 MB which is approximately the same as stated by IFL and IFW but I was under the impression that the Image would not be compressed by IFL/IFW or is it? Why is the file size (tbi/TBI) so much smaller?

Both Images verified OK but I have yet to test a restore.

Edited: verified the combined gho/ghs file sizes

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 4:59pm

@
Christer

Maybe I misunderstood your post but on the Backup Options screen there is a Compression field. I use Enhanced Speed - A and that is the default. There is a None setting if you want to experiment.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 5:58pm

@
Brian

I don't think you misunderstood, I just didn't recall that option or what it actually meant. I'll do another test w/o compression.

A side note, today, we change from standard time to summer time, + 1 hour. Do you Aussies set the time backwards today or you don't mess with it?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2016 at 6:43pm

@
Christer

We are just completing six months of Summer time. UTC+11. Standard time starts in a week. UTC+10.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #14 - Mar 27th, 2016 at 2:42am

@
Brian

Wonderful ... Smiley ... we're both in the summer time!

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print