Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The new Toshiba Satellite L50D-C-18V (Read 93681 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: The new Toshiba Satellite L50D-C-18V
Reply #60 - Apr 16th, 2016 at 5:49am

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 4:26am:
I think that one of each would be enough for my needs. My switch from XP to W7 was slow because it was a dual boot and making a dual boot of W7 and W10 would make that transition slow too.

Understood.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #61 - Apr 17th, 2016 at 5:36pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Apr 16th, 2016 at 4:26am:
When I make the final decision to go for W10 permanently, I'll get an SSD and do a clean installation.

This is what I've done, several times...

Boot BIBM CD/UFD
Create a primary NTFS partition, size of your choosing
Set the partition Active
Boot Win10 CD/UFD and do a custom install into the above partition
You don't need to enter a serial number if you have had Win10 previously installed in that computer. Click "Skip" if one is requested (or I don't have a Product key). Win10 will be auto Activated.

Using this method will give you a single partition Win10. If you let the Win10 installer create the partition you will get a multi partition Win10. Probably SRP, Recovery and OS. The same applies if you create the OS partition manually in the Windows installer. You will get multiple partitions.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #62 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 2:31am

@
Brian

Yes, when I installed Win7 and made a dual boot of it and WinXP, you told me to create the partitions (XP, 7 and data with no unallocated space) prior to installing the operating systems. In that way, the 200 MB system partition was avoided. I did it using another computer, running WinXP to get the partitions cylinder aligned for Ghost 2003 to work properly. This time, MiB alignment (IIRC) is the option to use but can there be unallocated space?

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #63 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 2:42am

@
Christer

I forgot. Yes, make it a 1 MiB aligned partition. The partition doesn't need to be full sized. You can have unallocated space and you will still end with a single partition Win10, the size of your created partition. You can create a data partition in the unallocated space before or after the Win10 install. It doesn't matter but you probably save time by creating it at the same time as you create the Win10 partition.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #64 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 2:47am

@
Christer

I still recall your tutorial on separating the data from the WinXP OS. This is how I do it but you probably do the same.

Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos are in the D: drive. I like my OS partition to be lean and mean so I have small C: drive images and fast restores.

https://researchaholic.com/2012/08/16/windows-8-how-to-move-user-folders-persona
l-folder/

Basically, right click (say) Documents, Properties, Location tab. Change C: to D: and click apply, etc. (Don't click Move)

I shift Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos to my D: drive. Anything I put on my desktop will not be in my OS partition. I’ve done this with Win7, Win8 and Win10.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #65 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 3:40am

@
Brian

Quote:
I still recall your tutorial on separating the data from the WinXP OS. This is how I do it but you probably do the same.

Yes, and when dual booting, getting XP and 7 to share the same folders on the data partition was quite easy but took a few hours to figure out.

Quote:
Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Videos are in the D: drive.

I like a clean desktop (you saw it in a recent screenshot) and it gets de-cluttered when I restore an Image but maybe your way is better. I also move the IE Favorites folder and the Firefox profile to the data partition.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #66 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 5:43am

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Apr 18th, 2016 at 3:40am:
and the Firefox profile to the data partition. 

I used to do that too until Win8. My Profile folder is only 200 MB and compared with the many GB of data in the D: drive, it wasn't worth moving. It gets backed up daily anyway, in the daily OS differential image. The differential image size is only a few percent of the full image size so I can save the last 15 or so. They get deleted automatically when they reach two weeks old.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #67 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 7:26am

@
Brian

That would be an option for me too, should I decide to let IFW loose doing hot imaging and incrementals.

About incrementals, if you have a base image from 2014 and a number of weekly incrementals, if you decide to roll back to 2016 week 10, does the restore include the base image plus all incrementals up til and including 2016 week 10?

What if 2016 week 10 is the first incremental to still be saved? Does each incremental contain all changes from the base image was created or only changes from the last week?

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #68 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 7:46am

@
Christer

Let's say the Full image is F
Let's say you create some incrementals, E1, E2, E3, E4
E2 contains the changes since E1. E3 contains the changes since E2.
If you want to restore E4 you need F, E1, E2, E3, E4

Let's say the Full image is F
Let's say you create some differentials, D1, D2, D3, D4
D2 contains the changes since F. D3 contains the changes since F.
If you want to restore D4 you need F, D4

I prefer differentials as you only need 2 images and I no longer use incrementals. Having a long incremental chain, probably  more than 20, can result in slow restores, RAM related.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #69 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 8:24am

@
Brian

Aha ... Smiley ... the differential images grow in size, just like a new full image would do but to restore the system, you only need the original full image plus one differential image, either one of them. With incremental images, you can't "break the chain", you need them all.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #70 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 3:38pm

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Apr 18th, 2016 at 8:24am:
the differential images grow in size,

I find the differential image is about 10% of the full image size after a month. Even though the used space in the OS partition might not change, the differential image size increases due to sectors being moved around and the TeraByte image is sector based.

IFW, IFD and IFL all create and restore the same images, full and differential. To create a differential image choose Backup (Changes Only).

With restores, TeraByte apps do sector based copies/restores so if  your original partition was....( * is sectors in use, - is free space)
[---**----**--]

then the target partition to copy/restore into cannot be smaller than...
[---**----**]

You can't restore into a smaller partition like this...
[****]

But you can compact the sectors to
[****---------]
and then create an image

Now you can restore to a smaller partition like this
[****]

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #71 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 7:59pm

@
Christer

I forgot to mention the "hash" file. If you want to create differentials or incrementals then you should select "Speed up Changes Only Backup" when you create the full image. This creates a hash and Changes Only backups will be created in a third of the time.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #72 - Apr 18th, 2016 at 8:28pm

@
Christer

Here is a great example of the usefulness of daily diffs. Today I uninstalled QuickTime in view of the recent web article. I then found my Astronomy program wouldn't open. It said it required QuickTime so I reinstalled QuickTime. The Astronomy program still wouldn't open. It said it required QuickTime even though QuickTime had just been installed and the computer restarted.

I restored a diff created 3 hours ago. The IFL restore took 108 seconds, SSD to SSD. All OK again.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #73 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:53am

@
Brian

Quote:
I find the differential image is about 10% of the full image size after a month.

I understand the need for compacting if the used sectors are spread out but what I meant was that used space grows with time, regardless of "unused sectors in between". My Ghost Image of the Win7 partition has doubled in size over the past 5 years and using IFL with differential images, the growth (percentage) of the differentials would be "huge", from a few MB to several GB.

Quote:
I forgot to mention the "hash" file. If you want to create differentials or incrementals then you should select "Speed up Changes Only Backup" when you create the full image. This creates a hash and Changes Only backups will be created in a third of the time.

Do you get a notification such as "IFW - work in progress" if you try to shut down the computer while an image is created in the background?

Quote:
Here is a great example of the usefulness of daily diffs.

Exactly why I use imaging but in the same situation, my system would have been rolled back up to a month. That has been good enough since my system is pretty static. I don't install too many programs (I hate the word "apps") and if I do and it's a "keeper", the I restore an image and install it the way I want it and reimage afterwards. This would happen when I plan to create my monthly image.

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #74 - Apr 19th, 2016 at 3:08am

@
Christer

Christer wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:53am:
of the differentials would be "huge", from a few MB to several GB

I create a new full image every two weeks or so and subsequent diffs are based on the new full image. So the diffs never get huge. I keep the previous sequence for a week or so.

Christer wrote on Apr 19th, 2016 at 2:53am:
Do you get a notification such as "IFW - work in progress"

I've not seen it because my computer is only restarted every few days.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print