Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Transferring Win10 to different hardware (Read 77130 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Transferring Win10 to different hardware
Reply #60 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 1:39am

@
Tator

I multi-boot WinXP, Vista, Win7, Win8, Win10 and Linux on the same drive with BIBM. I haven't experienced your issue. I never use the Microsoft boot manager.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #61 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 10:35am

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Oct 18th, 2016 at 11:16am:
By booting to Bart PE CD I learned the hard drive boot order had been switched in the BIOS and had to reset the BIOS boot order in order to boot Windows,

Hmmmm.....I can enter the BIOS directly during system boot by hitting the *Delete* key on my computer.  Or, I can use *F8* that brings up the boot sequence--no need to use any Bart PE CD.

I can fix these problems by restoring an image that was created before the problem began,

To my knowledge, restoring an image does not effect the BIOS settings in any way--the image may not have whatever software is responsible for accessing the BIOS--but the restored image would not *reset* the BIOS boot order just by restoring the image--you must be resetting that manually prior to the image restore.

Secondly, dual booting using *boot.ini* works by pointing the boot process to a specific HDD and partition using ID numbers that have been assigned to those locations.  The Windows dual boot does not use changes to the boot order in the BIOS.  So.....something else is going on with your system that is unrelated to the the dual boot software--at least as far as I know and understand!

I may have to revert to Win8.1 for a lasting fix if a solution can't be found for the current problem.

Here's a thought--you should be able to set an *Admin* password for the system and/or the BIOS from within the BIOS--I wonder if that would prevent the access to the BIOS form whatever software is performing that function.  If you set it for the System--then you will need to enter the password during boot.  If you set it for the BIOS, you will have to enter the password to access the BIOS.

Let us know what you find out!

(I'd be looking at programs or malware that you have installed on Win10--knowingly or unknowingly!)

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #62 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 10:54am

The same problem recurred 11/5/16, I again restored the Win10 image, and on the very first startup in Win10 everything was extremely slow to unresponsive which lead me to conclude it isn't a software issue.  Then I ran chkdsk /r that found no problems.  Now bios boot order randomly changes or 1 of the hard drives is not detected in the bios.  Next I connected sata cables to different ports on the motherboard which didn't help.  Then I ran memtest86, and memory passed tests.  Finally I tested hard drives using Seagate Seatools that resulted in Disk1 passing but Disk0 failing the long generic test.  Disk1 is where WinXP is installed, and Disk0 is where Win10 is installed.  This probably explains why WinXP still runs normally while Win10 does not.

Will replacing the hard drive require Win10 reactivation, and will reactivation be permitted with a hard drive change?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #63 - Nov 9th, 2016 at 5:27pm

@
Tator

Tator wrote on Nov 9th, 2016 at 10:54am:
Will replacing the hard drive require Win10 reactivation, and will reactivation be permitted with a hard drive change? 

No problems at all. Win10 will automatically activate on the first startup.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #64 - Nov 11th, 2016 at 5:17pm

About a day after replacing the drive and restoring Win10 image to the replacement drive, the PC clock was 68 minutes slow.  I'm unsure whether that's related to the drive switch or maybe a sign the cmos batter is dying.  If the battery is getting weak could that cause the hard drive test to give a false bad test result?

Also copy and paste behavior is significantly altered.  Using File Explorer to copy and paste used to show progress of the paste step on top of the File Explorer window, but now it's under that window and other windows that are open.  Could a weak battery cause this behavior, or what else might cause it?  Has anybody seen this behavior, have any idea of the cause or know how to fix this?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #65 - Feb 7th, 2022 at 9:05pm

Brian wrote on Jul 28th, 2016 at 7:50am:
@
Tator

When I used the Media Creation Tool last year, it failed every time. This ISO worked every time. Either from a UFD or DVD. I still use this ISO to make a UFD with Rufus. Run setup.exe on the UFD or DVD in Windows. Don't boot from the UFD or ISO.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

Select Windows 10. Not the other 3 choices.

This link now gives "We are sorry, the page you requested cannot be found."  Is there a way to obtain this same iso anywhere else  via download from a pc running Windows Vista?  A friend wants to do a clean Win10 install, but all the download links he has tried give a message that says the iso file can only be downloaded from a computer running Win7 or later.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print